Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell annouonces winners of 2013 Gearz Contest (Link)

Terry Sumner

Congrats to the winners. I find it a tad bit agitating that they didn't put up the runners up pictures last year but did this year. I still have Mixed emotions about the way the contest is done when I look at how it was this year and in the past.

This proves my theory that weathering is being given too much weight in some contests.

It used to be the exact opposite way. Back when I did my '59 Chevy convertible, it was before weathering and junkers came into vogue. I built it to compete in 'factory stock' and made sure every piece left on it was a factory part. There's even a factory hub cap in the trunk. At show after show, the judges would move it to "Misc" class to compete against tanks and motorcycles. In it's first year of contests it hadn't won a single award. I'd stand back and hear guys criticize it as 'ruining a kit'.

59chevy_front2-vi.jpg

About 10 years later, I was going to a show with a friend and mentioned that I had nothing new to enter. He remembered this Chevy and said I should bring it out since nobody would remember it. Well, it won two awards at that show, Second in Factory Stock and Best Interior (which is cool since it has no interior!). Next showing it got Best Chevy. And I then won Best Factory Stock at a People's Choice voting show. I guess it came into style.

So yea, I am happy that judges like rust! :)

• 4 weeks later...