#21 Sport Suburban

Sport Suburban

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Raoul

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have always loved this kit and have built many. The earlier versions had the emblems cast on and later one didn't. I hope the emblems reappear.

This is also a great parts kit for updating many of the older MPC and Johan B body mopars. That is why I have so many of them. I evenly built one as a 68 GTX and a 69 Roadrunner 440 6 BBL.

#22 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

I built the original issue back in 1991 and had no complaints- well, the taillights were awful, but that's about it.  That kit had the pro street optional parts; that's how I built it.  I was happy when it won a couple of contest awards.  I built a second one of the same issue more or less "factory stock" a few years later.  The first build was a parting gift to a friend who was moving and was subsequently, accidentally destroyed (sat on, I believe).  The stock build languishes in a box somewhere (I think), perhaps in our garage after out own relocation.

I am now working on the millennium issue that I bought in... 2000(?); this one does not have the Road Runner emblems, nor can you find any reference on the box art or the instructions or decals.  This was probably due to licensing- I guess Warner Bros. wanted a lot of $$$.  I don't think this issue had the pro street tubs but it does have a majority of the other pro street stuff.  The engine is a Hemi with induction options and ugly headers; the driver sits on a bench seat (one does not sit in a bench seat).  The taillights still suck, but I can better deal with that now.  Also, the right side rocker panel suffered from a short shot- it looks like just a little more plastic could have been injected.  I'm fixing that with some strip styrene.  This one is being built as an early '80s street machine. 

It has some nice molded-in detail and plenty of additional detail parts and it's rather "delicately" molded.  I'm not saying it's perfect, nor is the chassis up to current Revell B-body standards but this kit has a lot of potential and can be combined with different motors/transmissions/rear ends and other readily available kit parts to build several variations of Plymouth's B-body.  It would be great if one of the aftermarket companies (Model Car Garage, maybe?) could create a photoetched detail set for it.  Overall, it's a nice kit and if Round 2 corrected that problem with the rocker panel for the upcoming re-re-issue, I'll buy another one or two or three or more- even with the awful taillights.

Edited by johnbuzzed, 09 August 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#23 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

They need to lose the "cut here" lines on the inside of the bonnet (hood).

#24 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

That would be welcome. If I remember correctly, that's for clearance for one of the induction setups... I think.  I think there are also tabs for locating the "Coyote Duster" setup.  I'd like to see the one piece, "440 6 BBL" fiberglass lift-off hood w/scoop as used on the '69 cars in this kit, too. Nothing wrong with a little retrofit.

#25 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Carns

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

Did they put the Air Grabber setup in the 68 kit? Cause it was never on a 1:1 68.

#26 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

No, they used the "Coyote Duster" in the '68 kit (and the real car).

#27 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

Missing Link sells a BEAUTIFUL dashboard conversion for this and the 69 GTX kit. Comes with a modified dashboard, with the instrument panel removed and a beautiful crystal clear instument panel display that looks GREAT! Plus, he also sells a CORRECTED version of the 68 Roadrunner tailights,cast in translucent RED resin so you can dump those cheap chrome things AMT calls tailights!

#28 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Missing Link sells a BEAUTIFUL dashboard conversion for this and the 69 GTX kit. Comes with a modified dashboard, with the instrument panel removed and a beautiful crystal clear instument panel display that looks GREAT! Plus, he also sells a CORRECTED version of the 68 Roadrunner tailights,cast in translucent RED resin so you can dump those cheap chrome things AMT calls tailights!

can somebody please get me a link to "missing link"? I cant get to any of his parts listings from the page I am going to.

#29 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Me, too.

#30 The Junkman

The Junkman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Jung

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Well, here's one way to contact them.

http://stores.ebay.c...cast-model-cars

And are you using this link?  I asked because its working fine for me.

http://www.missinglinkrc.com/

(Postscript: yeah, you're right.  The parts link is verclempt.)

Nice people to work with.  They sold me a rear bumper off their mid-70s Ford Mustang II separately (going to use it on my Gunze Mustang II as the one in the kit is totally wrong).

Edited by The Junkman, 12 August 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#31 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

No, they used the "Coyote Duster" in the '68 kit (and the real car).

That "Coyote Duster" decal you're talking about didn't come out till 69.  The hemi got the round chrome air cleaner for 68 and the 383 got the round black wrinkle coat air cleaner with a pie pan that said "383 road runner engine"

#32 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

Well, I'm not an expert, but that Coyote Duster setup is included in the kit and I don't recall if it ever included the logo decal.

#33 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Well, I'm not an expert, but that Coyote Duster setup is included in the kit and I don't recall if it ever included the logo decal.

I think the underhood air induction part(s) was(were) included with all three '68-'70 AMT(MPC) B-bodies at some point, since some of the parts are shared between all three kits. I know the '90s issue '70 kit includes both underhood pieces, which are slightly different.

#34 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

To be honest with ya, i don't think the Hemi came with the "Ramcharger" cold air option in 68. i don't remember ever seein one with opened hood vents. In 69 you could tell if it was cold air by the red screens in the hood vents. Just an ol fart tryin ta remember. I could be wrong.

#35 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

To be honest with ya, i don't think the Hemi came with the "Ramcharger" cold air option in 68. i don't remember ever seein one with opened hood vents. In 69 you could tell if it was cold air by the red screens in the hood vents. Just an ol fart tryin ta remember. I could be wrong.

You're correct. 69 was the first year for it. Dodge called it "Ramcharger" and Plymouth called it "Air Grabber".  And i'm guessing that "johnbuzzed" is calling the fresh air setup a Coyote Duster...

#36 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

You're correct. 69 was the first year for it. Dodge called it "Ramcharger" and Plymouth called it "Air Grabber".  And i'm guessing that "johnbuzzed" is calling the fresh air setup a Coyote Duster...

Actually, the air cleaner used in the Air Grabber system did have the "coyote duster" decal on it.  And yes, the system was introduced in '69, not in '68- my mistake.  You can Google Image "coyote duster" to see various images of, well, the "coyote duster" logo and it's applications.

#37 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Actually, the air cleaner used in the Air Grabber system did have the "coyote duster" decal on it.  And yes, the system was introduced in '69, not in '68- my mistake.  You can Google Image "coyote duster" to see various images of, well, the "coyote duster" logo and it's applications.

I'm well aware of what the decal came on. Just was a little confused on what you where referring to as what the Coyote Duster setup was.

#38 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

Whatever.

#39 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana