Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 '69 nitrous pro mod camaro

comp1839

thanks harry. i gotta agree......nothing looks more like real metal than real metal.

so, the next thing was to machine the wheel mating surface to duplicate the lightened beadlock.

00613_zps8f48d62c.jpg

next i machined the actual beadlock ring.

00516_zps5e02be69.jpg

here they are together.

00711_zps09be05e9.jpg

0089_zpsd9b61a62.jpg

Edited by comp1839

Dave... What can I say.... my first reaction to seeing the bead locks....was "Oh Holy Crapola!!" LOL. Umm I have to say that you totally outdid yourself and made them way better. Excellent work my friend!! You continue to impress me with every update.

Edited by Mooneyzs

thanks chris. seriously, glad you like it!

so, i spent most of the weekend getting black rubber dust all over the place. for those who don't build in 1/8 there are no accurate tires available for a pro mod build (actually, almost any build). so, i end up making them myself. i start with a 5" round of neoprene and machine and grind them down to the correct size. for this car that's a 34.5x 17x16 hoosier.

here's the 5" round ruff cut from a length.

DSCF1801_zpsd6548532.jpg

after about 8 hrs of cutting and measuring here is the semi finished product. i say semi finished because i still nedd to add the wear indicators and the hoosier logos.

DSCF1802_zps9cb2fa98.jpg

here it is with the wheel and beadlock.

DSCF1804_zpsf926a5bd-1.jpg

Edited by comp1839

thank you fellas. i appreciate it.

i use the rotary table to turn the piece while cutting and grinding on the bridgeport. i made a mandrel to support the work piece, on center, as i cut or grind. the neoprene i get is a 75a durometer so it is rather hard. i have done about 7 or 8 sets of slicks now. so i have a pretty decent machining routine established. each set requires a $50 chunk of rubber to start and it makes 2 large slicks. i will say this,.......prepare to get really dirty. when you grind this stuff the black dust you make gets everywhere. i buy a 5" round to start and reduce it to a 4.312 dia. so, you will be making alot of rubber dust.

Edited by comp1839

Ken, Dave, the fact that large scale scratch building is terribly time consuming & challenging are the very things that draw me to it.

And, these facts generate huge respect, in my mind, for the abilities & perseverance of those that are doing it well!

I can't resist the challenge...things that are "too easy to do", don't seem to hold my attention for any length of time.

I can't imagine trying to juggle more than one project at a time.

Edited by Ognib