#21 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

Every 1/18 diecast company had some issue on some cars over the years. 

I never said they didn't. In fact, I never said anything about any other manufacturer. All I'm saying is that Sub Star has come a long way. Their models used to be cheesy and cheap looking, very toy-like, while this new Fury looks to be more in the Danbury Mint class of models.

#22 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I never said they didn't. In fact, I never said anything about any other manufacturer. All I'm saying is that Sub Star has come a long way. Their models used to be cheesy and cheap looking, very toy-like, while this new Fury looks to be more in the Danbury Mint class of models.

Ok, My statement you quoted was made saying yes, there may have been some older Sun Stars that had issues. Sun Star in general was NEVER considered Cheesy and Cheap looking in the diecast world.

I can't remember any that stood out as being that horrible so I would still like you to mention which cars you are referring to. 

#23 Porscheman

Porscheman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Full Name:Al Meske

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Just to interject, Sun Star like everyone has some hit and misses. Maisto has great interior but orange peal paint. Sun Star has taken over where Highway 61 left off, but better. It's hard to beat their Platinum Series, especially in this price range.

Heres a couple more Platinum Series.

Al

Edited by Porscheman, 15 August 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#24 jerseyjunker1

jerseyjunker1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Full Name:Manny Solano

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Nice. I always was under the impression that Sun Stars were kind of bottom of the barrel when it came to die cast replicas.  I was wrong. This one is very nice.

not any more. they are like virginia slims  ( they've come a long way Baby )

#25 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Sipes

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

I can't remember what the diecast were that I used to see in my favorite hobby shop but, I do remember some of the Sun Star deicast looking like a boomarang. They arched up in the middle, looked like the nose and rears were sagging. Maisto had some like this too, Welly was the worst of the arched diecast.

I seen the 60 Plymouths and 59 Dodges up at the Chrysler Carlisle show this year and was very impressed with them. Haven't bought any 1/18 scale diecast for a while but I may have to buy these. I like the look of there 59 Oldsmobiles too.

Edited by jjsipes, 22 August 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#26 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

I was checkin' out your photos Porscheman and it looks like a great collection.

#27 Porscheman

Porscheman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Full Name:Al Meske

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thank you Nick. This is 55 years of collecting.

Al

#28 deja-view

deja-view

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Full Name:ken koester

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

Even the better known makers like Autoart/Minichamps and GMP have put out some questionable cars.  I've had my eye on a Minichamps Jaguar XJR GT3 with nice livery, but it has no opening panels or engine....and they still want $100 for it.  Recently, I've seen a few others of high name brand with the same situation:  nice looking but no real detail.  And, some are far more expensive than $100.  So, while the quality of the bodies, paint, and trim have gotten better it seems like a lot of cost cutting without price reduction is going on.  OTH: I did pick up a Nissan R390 by AutoArt that is incredibly detailed and very well finished.  A litlle more pricey, but at least it shows a lot of effort in its build and quality.  I think Sunstar started slow, but has obviously elevated its game.