This is just my opinion : anything in a Ford, but why mess with the other stuff?

Engine transplants

• You cannot reply to this topic
53 replies to this topic

#21 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

There comes a point when people start swapping engines because the engine is just better. An example is people swapping LS engines into the 5.0 mustangs. people do it because the LS engines are a great platform and you can make crazy amounts of horsepower with them.

Gosh, sounds like the ol' small block Chevy saw, it's small ,it's cheep, and there's bunches of go fast parts for it. :P

#22 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

After reading through all of this I can see the History side of it coming through. First , rodders were lookin' to go fast and the ol' flathead just wasn't gettin' it done. ( and remember the Small Block Chevy was a ways off, 1955 and certainly not in the junk yards yet, yeah, we didn't have "Auto recycling centers" back then) so it was an ohv  v8 from Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Studebaker or Chrysler ( and again that ol HEMI was big and expensive) nope, no Ford "Y" block (didn't come along till 1954, in a truck).

Next up, THE Small block Chevy, 265 / 283 / 327, small, light weight, power (and power parts not just from the vendors ,but the factory too, Duntov Cams any one?) and they fit. :o

So this just made sense. Nowa days things are different,.go ahead, put what ever you want in there, but "people are gonna hate" as the saying goes.

At one of our Moonlight Modeler meetings a many years back, a member told us of his 1:1 project. He was putting a HEMI in his 1971 Challenger, I think it was a 318 cid to start with, nothing to write home about ( bellybutton car). Time went by ,as it does, and one meeting he said it was finished and did we want to come outside and see it? There in the dark he popped the hood for all of us to see the "Professionally installed" "392 1950's early HEMI" in his 1971 Challenger. Needless to say you could hear the jaws drop. :o

Yep, you can certainlly put what ever you want in your car. :wacko:

By the way, that's what prompted this build, few got it. :huh:

DSCF0185-1.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 15 August 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#23 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

In the world of street rods, I say, "Anything goes." In competition, I've seen a '72 Chevy pulling truck running a 460 Ford... The class had a 472 cid limit and you could only get 468cid using a .060" over 454 so the guy used a .060" over 460. aka, 472cid... Did I mention we were smack in the heart of Central Indiana "GM Country"? Yeah, it went over well....

Also, I have an '81 Jeep Wagoneer and am not overly impressed with its powertrain. I've been seriously considering a 350/350 transplant... Simply because it is cheaper and I can make lotsa power with that combo...

#24 heinz74

heinz74

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Full Name:henry van meer

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

kinda reminds me about the ZZtop Eliminator kit i once built...
i always tought it was a 350 sbc in there...i guess looking closer it's not
but what is it ?..beats me

#25 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Outside dimension wise, they're pretty much all the same, 265, 283, 327, 302, 350, 400.

Edited by Greg Myers, 15 August 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#26 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Bet you'd find a bunch of 'em too :lol:

Yeah, the supercharged 312 would probably be hard to find. But not impossible. Also, there were more '57 Fords running around than '57 Chevies. So, a 312 wouldn't be that scarce. A 292 would work in a pinch. ANYTHING as long as it wasn't a Chevy engine! 

#27 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

and have you compared the two , dimensionally ? :D Weight ? :lol: Power out put ? :P Parts availability ? :huh: it don't happen for a reason, or two , or three. ;)

Edited by Greg Myers, 15 August 2013 - 06:44 AM.

#28 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

and have you compared the two , dimensionally ? :D Weight ? :lol: Power out put ? :P Parts availability ? :huh: it don't happen for a reason, or two , or three. ;)

Dimentionally? wouldn't matter without a hood :P

Weight? I doubt there's much difference ;)

Power output? in '57, the 312 made more power than the 283. The fuel injected 283 made 283 hp. The supercharged 312 made 300 hp. The carburated 312 made 245 hp. The carburated 283 made 195 hp. :P

Parts availability? in the late '50s -early '60s, there were probably as many, if not more Y blocks around as there were small block Chevies.

Chevy engines are cheaper. But, you get what you pay for. :P

#29 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

With out a hood ? Width ? length ? oil pan configuration ? tranny set up ?

Weight ? 400 vs 600lbs ?

Power out put, yada, yada , http://www.oocities....Rodding292.html

second best

#30 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

I tend to be a purist, especially when it comes to street rods or street machines, but there are some combos that I can appreciate.  I especially like how funny cars can have "Mustang", etc., in their graphics while in reality, they're all powered by a form of Chrysler's Hemi.

#31 Ford guy

Ford guy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Full Name:Roy Snyder

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

I understand back in the late '50's or '60's putting a SBC into your street rod.

What gets me is when someone builds a 1:1 show rod or F-100 and they customize every little piece on the vehicle, import leather from europe for the interior, use some rare African wood for the bed floor, chrome what can be chromed, then put a $10,000 paint job on it, have Chip Foose make a special one-off set of wheels and add the biggest brakes Wilwood ever made.

You get all excited, you're thinking this is the most amazing car I've ever seen, then you look under the hood and what do you see?

A 350/350 combo! Really?

You spend $100,000 on building this vehicle, call in all kinds of favors to to it done "right" and you save money on the power plant?  Really?

Why build a truck/car for a show? To show off!

Do something different!  None of the rest of your car/truck looks like anyone elses, why should the engine compartment? 

#32 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Now THAT doesn't make any sense . :blink: Especially when one looks at all of the older and newer exotic Ford engines available. 429 SOHC, Boss 429, INDY 4 Cam, any of the newer single , double cam , multi valve Cobra blower motors. :P

Edited by Greg Myers, 15 August 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#33 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

I understand back in the late '50's or '60's putting a SBC into your street rod.
What gets me is when someone builds a 1:1 show rod or F-100 and they customize every little piece on the vehicle, import leather from europe for the interior, use some rare African wood for the bed floor, chrome what can be chromed, then put a $10,000 paint job on it, have Chip Foose make a special one-off set of wheels and add the biggest brakes Wilwood ever made.
You get all excited, you're thinking this is the most amazing car I've ever seen, then you look under the hood and what do you see?
A 350/350 combo! Really?
You spend $100,000 on building this vehicle, call in all kinds of favors to to it done "right" and you save money on the power plant?  Really?
Why build a truck/car for a show? To show off!
Do something different!  None of the rest of your car/truck looks like anyone elses, why should the engine compartment? 

This!!!!!!!!

If you're going to be blowing that kind of green, why not go for an GM LS Motor, Ford Mod Motor, or late model Chrysler Hemi with matching trans too?

#34 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Some swaps are done because the chosen engine fits better than others.  The small-block Chevy fits early Fords better than most Ford engines.  The Chevy has the oil pan sump at the rear, starter on the passenger side, distributor at the back where it lines up with the firewall recess for the Ford fuel pump.  Early Buick engines were also used; same configuration as the Chevy except for the starter being on the drivers' side.  The engine-to-transmission adapter would move the starter to the other side, and get it away from the steering box.  A lot of these early swaps were done with little or no welding, so reversing the sump on an oil pan was a big deal back then.

If you look through the old Rod & Custom or Street Rodder magazines, you'll find the occasional Forties Mopar or Chevy running a small-block Ford engine.  The Ford is narrower/longer than a small-block Chevy, so it was used in situations where an inline six was being replaced.  I was looking at one of those old Petersen Publishing Chrysler books the other day.  Nearly all of the Mopar street rods were running Chevy engines!  This was before Mopar Performance got aggressive with advertising to the street rod crowd (anyone remember the "Bored with Ford?" ad campaign?).  It seemed like, after that, more rodders started using same-make engines in their builds.  Some guys still don't care what name is on the engine though...they go with what they like.  

#35 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

The Eliminator kit has the Pontiac V8 that was in earlier issues of Monogram's '34 Ford.  The Eliminator was a decent enough curbside kit, but most of the chassis was wrong for it.  The later Thom Taylor cabriolet kit (further alteration to the Eliminator) has the chassis cleaned up (molded-in exhaust cleaned off, 9" Ford rear end).  Right off the top of my head, though, I can't recall if they changed the engine for that version.  

#36 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

An interesting aside when building model hot rods, and you really do have a choice, I'd bet most just go with what's in the kit. I call this "brand of convenience" 

I saw this a lot when I was teaching High School Auto Shop. Not unlike my own choices of early years. Grampa, Uncle Ed. ol' aunty Mary , died and passed on their lovingly kept car, whatever it was and I'm mighty proud of it, Buford, Stude or what ever. :)

Lucky for me, after years of nursing a Model A I dragged home, my Brother told me Dad had found Me something that ran, and I was blessed with a '56 Chevy Bel Air V8. So my allegiance switched overnight from Ford to Chevrolet. B)

Old Hot Rod adage : "Run what ya brung." :lol:

#37 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Haven't built the Revell Deuce highboy roadster yet, but when I do I think I'll stick a 350/350 in it.  Red highboy, small-block Chevy, 9" Ford rear axle, four-bar suspension front and rear, maybe a set of steelies...can't get much more generic than that. 

#38 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have always wondered why the Chevy guys would not be seen driving one.  :lol:

#39 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have always wondered why the Chevy guys would not be seen driving one.  :lol:

One what ? :huh:

#40 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Haven't built the Revell Deuce highboy roadster yet, but when I do I think I'll stick a 350/350 in it.  Red highboy, small-block Chevy, 9" Ford rear axle, four-bar suspension front and rear, maybe a set of steelies...can't get much more generic than that. 

Yer just joshin' right ? :lol: If not ,that new (?) Stacey David kit is a good start. :D  Speaking of which, has anyone seen one built into anything? :huh: