This is just my opinion : anything in a Ford, but why mess with the other stuff?

Engine transplants

• You cannot reply to this topic
53 replies to this topic

#41 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

So what make of car should I put my AMT Allison engine in?

#42 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

Anything with a looong hood ;)

#43 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Haven't built the Revell Deuce highboy roadster yet, but when I do I think I'll stick a 350/350 in it.  Red highboy, small-block Chevy, 9" Ford rear axle, four-bar suspension front and rear, maybe a set of steelies...can't get much more generic than that. 

Now that you mention it, that is almost the Concrete Barricade Beige Metallic Toyota Camry of Hot Rods. Nothing truely offensive, yet nothing to make you want to stop and look either............just safe and almost boring.

Never thought I would refer to a '32 Ford as boring?!

Edited by Joe Handley, 16 August 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#44 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Busbey

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

:[/quote]

I have always wondered why the Chevy guys would not be seen driving one.  :lol:

There you guys being bias i am a chevy guy through and through id drive one with a 572 blown bbc with a built 12 bolt rear end see. Too many ford 9 inches snap like a twig

And the reason alot of people put chevy motors in there hotrods are for the simple fact that you can modfiy them more easy better performance more parts avaiable and more motor parts are interchangeable

Theres a guy in my town who owns a perfect condtion 66 mustang low miles and guess wat is powered buy

#45 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Busbey

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Anything with a looong hood ;)

Caddie the old pontiac 2+2

#46 retired & glad

retired & glad

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Haas

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Back in the 80's I had a 50 Ford pickup. It had a flat head in it and when winter time came, I had not checked the anti freeze in it. Well after a hard freeze one night, it developed a crack in the block. Parked it for a while after that.

I liked the truck a lot but couldn't afford a new motor.

A neighbor across the street worked at the local Chevy dealership and he had a garage behind his house that he worked on his drag car and other things.

He told me one day that he had just taken a 262 and transmission out of a car that the owner wanted a bigger motor in his. He offered to put it in my truck. He said they only made this motor a couple of years and didn't know how much trouble it would be but I told him to help me push the truck over and he could do it.

I didn't check with him for a good week and low and behold, he drove it back in my driveway.

It was an automatic trans. and from what he told me, it bolted straight up including the driveshaft. He said all he had to do was make a small adapter for the transmission to the frame and everything went right together.

I couldn't believe it.

From what he kept telling me, the truck was made for a Chevy motor more than the Ford flathead.

I had to make a gear shift extender for the floor board shift and this thing sure put some rubber down on the road.

The rearend was a good match and it didn't over rev. or bog down when driving. I finally traded it to a friend for a Corvair Monza.

Wish I still had both of these autos.

Richard

#47 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

So right and yet wrong?

Discuss

20130824_142234_zps61ef0757.jpg

#48 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

Brings to mind, back in the day when everyone switched to Chrysler power for their funny cars, didn't make any difference what the body was.

Then to make matters worse, in the eye of the purist, all of the track announcers and anyone talking about said cars always referred to them by the make of the body. :o not the engine.

The jest of it being, the Chrysler HEMI was KING. Sure Ford had their Shotgun SOHC and their Boss 429, Mickey Thompson gave us some other wonderful Hemi motors and the Chevy Porcupine Splayed valve BIG block 427 did a great job for awhile, but the Chrysler HEMI was King, :P not unlike the switch to the small block Chevy V-8 265 / 283 / 327 / 350. :D

Edited by Greg Myers, 25 August 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#49 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

1928 Pontiac 1079278_276225695853809_2066979480_n-640

http://www.rodauthor...n-white-classic