#21 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,068 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

I get that, but I can't go out and buy every factory version they want to do, so I will just get one, there are no correct supercharged parts in a kit, AMT's 57 parts are not correct.

Edited by midnightprowler, 20 August 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#22 Bob Turner

Bob Turner

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Turner

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

I get that, but I can't go out and buy every factory version they want to do, so I will just get one, there are no correct supercharged parts in a kit, AMT's 57 parts are not correct.

True on the AMT 57 Ford kit parts being incorrect, but look no further than the often reissued, & currently available AMT Avanti kit for the parts needed to complete the Paxton blower for your Ford, likely along with the blower belt part from the AMT Ford. Best of all, you can still built the Avanti with the ultra rare R-5 dual blower Bonneville option if you chose that route.

Carl's advice is also good, both as to the solution itself & as to finding a solution overall. You've now been presented with several different options to solve this, & here's another; perhaps someone may want to trade the Paxton parts for the 4 BBL parts if they're seeking to build the Roberts car post ban. You might even find someone that doesn't need/want the Avanti blower parts & has them available.

Sitting around complaining that the manufacturers didn't do something this way or that way, (whichever way you wanted them to, & this doesn't excuse inaccurate kits, which is a whole different matter), is merely wasted time & effort that can be better used solving the problem.

Edited by Bob Turner, 21 August 2013 - 05:14 AM.

#23 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hi Lee,

Go buy the Fireball Roberts release and we can swap front bench seats & upholstery decals. (I'll trade you for the seat out of my 2n1 kit.) I believe you will then have the parts to do a factory stock supercharged car.

Bringing this back on topic - I got my MK police car version this weekend and it is Grrrreat!

Matt

#24 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Carl!  If I trade Lee part-for-part from your list will he be all set?  I've got a 2n1 parts kit I'm willing to part out and will gladly take the vintage roundy-rounder parts.

Edited by Matt T., 21 August 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#25 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

Just got home with mine, and although the decal sheet is large, and nice decals, Im disappointed that they are so generic, and no real cities/states/counties or angencies. Tijuana Mexico, and Clearwater,...but no state.

I understand that the prototype sheet has actual agencies but I heard that licensing got in the way.  Yea, even police agencies.  Still, the aftermarket will respond with different agency sheets.  I do like the sheet in the kit. Lots of interesting decals we didn't have before. I'll be using them on different kits.

#26 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

The Tijuana Police decals are enough for me to buy this kit! With or without the supercharger!

And just in case, I live only 15 miles from Tijuana, that is why I want them! Revolucion Patrol, here I come! :lol:

#27 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Are any of the police parts of any particular interest to emergency vehicle modelers? Anything really nice that we can't grab from some of the other kits out there?

I remember when this was first announced and sprue shots appeared it looked like the police special parts were kind of generic and uninspired, hoping maybe that changed over the production cycle.

#28 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,988 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Are any of the police parts of any particular interest to emergency vehicle modelers? Anything really nice that we can't grab from some of the other kits out there?

I remember when this was first announced and sprue shots appeared it looked like the police special parts were kind of generic and uninspired, hoping maybe that changed over the production cycle.

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but based on Charlie's pictures, these are my impressions: 

• The beacon looks pretty good. 
  • The radio control head seems to be okay.  The early test shots made it look considerably oversized, but Charlie's measurements make it closer to accurate than preliminarily indicated. 
  • The siren is hard to tell from Charlie's pic.  The early info indicated it was badly formed, but I'd have to see one to reach any conclusions.
  • The antenna doesn't appear to be well done.  It's not bad for the typical representation of a later antenna, but it's not period-correct for mid-50's.
  • The spotlight is not a spotlight.
  • The decals are generally generic, which isn't all that bad.  The upholstery and factory doo-dad decals are great!  Nice to see all the 'POLICE' and 'SHERIFF' and 'FIRE DEPARTMENT' lettering.  The 'Mayberry Sheriff' stars are great for TV car builders.  And I like the nod to 'JUSTIFIED' with the 'HARLAN COUNTY SHERIFF' markings, but the rest are sheet-wasters in my mind.

I'll weigh in with my "official" 2-cents worth after one of these kits lands in my hands.

#29 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

I just received mine in the mail and really haven't looked at it all that closely. I do like what I see so far. More tonight.

G

#30 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Sad to see the NYPD and SFPD markings gone since the preview artwork, but that's just business I guess.

Danno, I can't find the Harlan County nod. Where is it??

#31 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

Looks like a neat kit..got it a couple days ago but haven't sat down to closely grok it yet.

#32 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

I picked on of these up from the LHS on the way to work last night only to find that about a third of my chrome police parts runner must have been sticking out of the tank as the runner and most of the rotator base have no chrome plating to speak of in any way...

Revell Quality Control - Taking Strides to Remain Mediocre!

Edited by niteowl7710, 22 August 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#33 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

I picked on of these up from the LHS on the way to work last night only to find that about a third of my chrome police parts runner must have been sticking out of the tank as the runner and most of the rotator base have no chrome plating to speak of in any way...

Revell Quality Control - Taking Strides to Remain Mediocre!

Gee, aside from a couple of little flash pockets, mine was actually done pretty well. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Charlie Larkin

#34 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Gee, aside from a couple of little flash pockets, mine was actually done pretty well. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Charlie Larkin

Yeah mine has some nice flash excess too, which goes more to my point.  Why is this brand new kit so flashy.  Actually the last several releases from Revell and Moebius have had really unacceptable levels of flash.  I'm not talking about molding lines, but rather literal thin flashes of plastic connecting parts to the runners.  No pride in manufacturing I guess, and whomever is actually packing them when the get stateside apparently aren't inspecting them before sending them out.

#35 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,988 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Sad to see the NYPD and SFPD markings gone since the preview artwork, but that's just business I guess.

Danno, I can't find the Harlan County nod. Where is it??

It has a silver 5-point star over the silver words "Harlan County Sheriff."  Located in the upper left corner of the law enforcement/fire service section.  To the left of the Texas-state-map-shaped 'Border Patrol' markings; above the "Franklin County Sheriff" and "Mayberry Sheriff" markings.

2719-vi.jpg

#36 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

The beacon looks like a Federal Beacon Ray JR 15-A. The siren light resembles a Federal 77-L.
I'm not sure on the radio yet, maybe a Motorola Twin-V. The so called spotlight looks more like a package shelf style lamp. I don't think the first three have been in a car kit before although some of the early AMT annual Truck kits had something I recall being similar to the Beacon Ray.

I really wished some of the other agency specific decals Sean had drawn up made the cut.

-Steve

#37 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

It has a silver 5-point star over the silver words "Harlan County Sheriff."  Located in the upper left corner of the law enforcement/fire service section.  To the left of the Texas-state-map-shaped 'Border Patrol' markings; above the "Franklin County Sheriff" and "Mayberry Sheriff" markings.

2719-vi.jpg

My decal sheet doesn't have either the "Harlan" or "Franklin County" lettering on it as shown above. Glad to see the California "E" plates still made it through. Also looks like the "Mayberry Sherriff's" star was altered too.

#38 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Mine neither. Those became just "County Sheriff" in production.

#39 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,988 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Wow. That's very interesting.  I was told this was the final artwork.  But that was pre-production.  Obviously, things changed . . . again.  :( 

Sorry for the false alarm.   

#40 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Got my kits the day before yesterday and I'm wondering if the border patrol car version needs Texas license plates and Mexican for the south of the border version?

Really too bad that licensing killed the other versions, I'm guessing the price per unit would've skyrocketed into the unsalable range.

Still a great kit to have and the box-art by Sean looks fantastic.

Anyway ordered a Gofer licence plates decal sheet, maybe I find the plates there....or does anyone know of other planned aftermarket sheets for this and other 50's police cruisers?

TIA