#41 racer3270

racer3270

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:James Smith

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

James: wow... I'm was really geeking on your build (I still am, really nice) but those front support rails/upper shock mounting frame rails are bumming me out. I can't believe this is what I have awaiting me this winter when I start my build. 

Anyway I like your detailing and I'm looking forward to my build.

Yeah i was pretty disappointed with it too. I couldn't think of a very clean way to fix it. Maybe the reissued version doesn't have this problem... I'm working with the original and i've noticed a few warped parts along the way. 

#42 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Full Name:Mitchell S. Peoples

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

I wish I could determine which year mine is but my wife has it stashed away for a Christmas gift. I'll try to sneak a peak at the production year, etc and compare it with yours! Money is tight for us and a model kit with recommended paints is a big treat. My stocking stuffers are like wire, x-acto blades, braided line and decal sheets!

#43 Dragracer

Dragracer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Blyth

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

The chasiss is looking good James, never had a problem with the front tube work on either of mine. The reason why the distributor goes in the back is because the chasiss, interior tin & engine are all generic, the only things different from one car to the next, is the body, decals, wheels and the heads/valve covers. The Christine car has a extension piece that needs to be glued to the back of the tin work to make it fit the longer Fury body, the engine to the Fury is supposed to be a Mopar B-1, that also should have the distributor mounted up front. It's cheaper to keep reusing molds then to make a new mold for every car.

#44 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

How true. I checked my kit (snuck into the closet LOL) and it clearly states 2013 on the manufacturer/rights info. I'm hoping it's o.k. I looked at the picks and it shows only a burgundy red as the base color, which is why I got Model Masters in a can. No decals back there for a black wing either. I've seen people paint the entire car black with nice results. Gotta remember, the car on the box has been "professionally built" to suit their advertising needs.

#45 racer3270

racer3270

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi all,

Made a few more big steps to finishing this one. Painted the body and other parts a light red. Taped off the underside of the hood and painted it semi gloss black. As you can see the interior is starting to come together as well. I installed the transbrake button and wired it up under the dash. Ill keep it brief and let the pictures explain themselves. Thanks for hanging with me!

Comments/Criticism are appreciated. 

Attached Files

#46 krazyglu

krazyglu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Witte

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Transbrake looks awesome James.

#47 Dragracer

Dragracer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

She's lookin' good James, like the transbrake, came out nice.

#48 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

Nice going James! Your work is progressing well. Yes, the transbrake came out super. A dremel, a piece of donor styrene and some twisted wires do the trick! If my tach is dash mounted, I do the same with the wire, unless it has a shift lite, then I look for lifesize pics or try to remember how I wired mine on my Mustang! It's all relative in the eye of the beholder.

Right now I'm working on an '86 Glidden p/s and I spent time detailing the MSD 6AL, wiring it, getting the wires through the firewall, wiring the tach & line-loc and I'm finding out the front of the dash with the gauges covers up most of my work, decals, etc.! I'll make it up though as this is the 1st build (and only my 2nd real adult build) that will use real stainless line for fuel and carb fittings.

Keep up the good work. And when you want to get some motivation, look at Tyrone's 1990 LX Mustang Coupe!

#49 rv1963

rv1963

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Vaglio

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Nice work that engine looks great.

#50 racer3270

racer3270

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I want to apologize for the lack of updates the past month or two. My computer died and i couldn't get the pictures uploaded. Big update on this one- and by "big update" i mean IT'S DONE! I used Bare-Metal Foil to complete the lower half of the grille. There was a slight fitment issue with the dash connecting to the window which connects to the hood. Also, the cage came with some headaches. Other than that everything went together pretty well. I used slixx decals for the tires. It is wired using pro tech wires and looms as well as a little bit of braided line. The A/N fittings are homemade from bead fittings. My favorite part of this car is the engine which i spent a lot of time detailing. This is the most detailed i have ever gotten on a build and i really enjoyed it. There is a lot left that i can get into when it comes to detailing. What i have here is just scratching the surface and trying some new things.

I am really proud of this one. I usually nit pick my own work and i am typically never happy but i really enjoyed this build. It may not be completely clean or accurate but i like it. So here are the pics. Questions, comments, and criticism are always welcome. Thank you all for following along and helping me through this one. Can't wait for the next one!

Attached Files

Edited by racer3270, 12 November 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#51 RadialDragon

RadialDragon

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis K

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Looks good! The kit (at least the one I have) Has two different intake manifolds for the motor. The one you see here and the one that is used on Tyrone's 90 LX build. However even though they made two different distributors they didn't change the distributor location it seems..

Edited by RadialDragon, 12 November 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#52 Terminator-Fox

Terminator-Fox

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Smiley

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

Looks awesome

#53 Pro Wrench

Pro Wrench

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Scott

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Looks good. One thing that I need to point out is that your fuel tube on the driver's side going between the carbs should also have a line feeding it. Those carbs in 1:1 are duel inlet.

#54 3men2s

3men2s

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Full Name:Danny Rodriguez

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

fix the back wing, those deflectors are backward....keep it up .is looking sweet

#55 Dragracer

Dragracer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

The build came out looking great James, the red looks real nice, on the pic showing the front view, it looks like there is a little bit of bare metal foil still stuck there, just nit-picking LOL!, like you I can't wait to see what you build next!

#56 racer3270

racer3270

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

fix the back wing, those deflectors are backward....keep it up .is looking sweet

That's Embarrassing :unsure:  

#57 T-Bolt427

T-Bolt427

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hey "Racer"  this looks awesome.  I'm currently building this one too. I'm not detailing the engine as much as you did.  (I don't have the patience for it anymore).

Thanks for sharing.  Oh.....don't be embarrassed about that rear wing.  Just tell people you did it to see if they'd notice!

#58 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

James: FWIW, take it from one who's gotten OCD on only 2 builds over detail (check out WIP on my HOT ROD flopper & my friend's ultra hi-res pics of my WIP pro stock); I just finished using P/E wire loom parts to fashion butterfly linkage for the fuel line block on the driver's side of the blower LOL. Some of the critiques may come off a little rough but everyone is trying to help.

I commend you for getting those decals to work, which I've heard are a bear on the hood. Keep up the good work and learn as much as you can. Again FWIW, I've done those 1:1 dual inlet carb initially and they're tough. Hope you have a dremel with a really tiny bit for those. Research for opinions on the most popular CA glue as well.

Good Luck!

#59 racer3270

racer3270

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

"I commend you for getting those decals to work, which I've heard are a bear on the hood. Keep up the good work and learn as much as you can."

I had to cut them in half actually. It was a challenge

#60 MitchP

MitchP

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for the tip! I've got this build coming up next year, along with the '55 Revell Streetburner top sportsman, which shows up on Ebay as a donor kit all the time since people either use the body/engine for slot racer builds or other combinations. I got the donor chassis, wheels, tires, decals and glass for it; a day later I got the engine from the same seller! So he must have had a use for the body/wing only.