#41 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,616 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

They are better than donks or low riders.

Edited by midnightprowler, 22 August 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#42 69NovaYenko

69NovaYenko

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Little

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

YES!!! B) 

bullet2-1020x654.jpg

An AMERICAN MOTORS Javelin...not only is it rare to see an AMC  car but it`s done RIGHT....this is my idea of a Pro-Touring car...TOTALLY AWESOME in ever respect!!!!

Edited by 69NovaYenko, 23 August 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#43 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

I really like the pro-touring concept in general. I mean face it...most pony and muscle cars really didn't handle or stop particularly well...but they looked good doing it. Putting contemporary chassis, tires and braking components under older cars of striking visual style just HAS to be a good idea.

I agree with the thought that the more rare cars probably shouldn't be radically molested.

I'd also like to see a little more emphasis put into taking serious weight out of the cars using contemporary materials. I came across a 2-ton '55 Chebby pro-street recently, and that's just wrong.

#44 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

2 Ton?   Was it the one in Australia with the Merlin engine in it?

Those should be less than my Jeep and 200 each weigh!

#45 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,862 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

That Javelin looks awesome. But keep in mind that's a factory-stock Javelin, with only aftermarket wheels to "update" it. (No telling what's under the skin, bit by outward appearances it's a stock Javelin).

My point being... that muscle cars looked fantastic straight out of the factory!  :D

#46 LokisTyro

LokisTyro

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

That Javelin looks awesome. But keep in mind that's a factory-stock Javelin, with only aftermarket wheels to "update" it. (No telling what's under the skin, bit by outward appearances it's a stock Javelin).

My point being... that muscle cars looked fantastic straight out of the factory!  :D

I'd say the suspension has been updated as well. 

Has anyone been to one of the Optima battery faceoffs? Super fun to watch. Check out some footage from one of the tracks. My local track, Road America, had some thrilling times with these pro cars. Great fun to watch 1200 streetable horsepower get around there. I think of them as a jack of all trades. I'd definitely build my '66 Ford up this way if the funding was there.

#47 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,616 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Exactly! :D  

#48 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

That's a really nice car, but aren't those curb feelers supposed to be sticking out the side and not the back? ;)

This whole movement of messing with vintage muscle cars to make them nice and street friendly bothers me. I'm itching to hit the 1/4 mile with a stocker and every 68 to 70 Mustang I find with a running 351 has been reworked or updated in some way that would move it into either Super Stock or Super Street and I'm too old to play with those guys.

Dale

curb feelers... you are as old as me if you remember those.... and thanks for the complements.

#49 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

They are better than donks or low riders.

oh really, well just take a look at THIS beauty!!! hope everyone keeps their lunch down.

Attached Files

#50 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

ok, another question, how wide does a tire have to get before a pro touring car becomes a pro street car? I have seen pro touring cars with narrowed rear ends, or did I? I guess you can tub a pro touring car, but I guess once you start moving frame rails inward, it becomes a pro street?

Attached Files

#51 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

That Javelin with the Minilite wheels is a natural classic- that's what the AM team used in Trans Am racing back in the day.

As for "Pro Touring", I can take it or leave it but in most cases I would rather leave it.  I feel the same about "Pro Street".  Too often, it's just too much, for my taste.  "Overkill", if you will. And I don't think either genre will be considered a classic in the future, but that's just my opinion.  For the same reason, I don't care for a lot of the customs of the '50's and '60's.  Almost like the van trend of the mid '70's- too much is just too much.  Again, just my opinion.

As an old guy, I would prefer my '60's or '70's muscle car to have the classic look of the times.  Slightly jacked in the rear, slightly lowered in the nose, 5 spoke Americans or slotted ETs, "big fat tyres", Turbo mufflers...  It wouldn't bother me if it couldn't stop on a dime or do >1G on a skid pad; if I want a car to do that with the necessary cash outlay involved I would buy something contemporary.  But, in any case I would want enough torque to do burnouts at every light :)

#52 om617

om617

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Olsen

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

I`m no fan of pro street because it would be a nightmare to put it back into stock with all the bodywork done. Also i dont see the point with the huge rear tires as for handling and performance. I have more faith in mixture of rubber. I have to point out i have no experience with drag racing,but when i see street legal cars close to stock run high 9`s on 1/4 mile with street slicks i hardly doubt it would perform any better tubbed with huge ballons in the back.

Pro-street look mean and brutal,but i think it`s more show than go in many cases.

#53 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

All these genres have their place and fans. I am always amazed on how so called "Car Guys" love to bash others who do not comform to their vision of what is right.

Have fun, build it if you can afford it and drive it. That is my criteria. I don't like trailer queens.

Would you rather see a P-51 Mustang in a museum or blasting by on the deck at full song? ;)

#54 matthijsgrit

matthijsgrit

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Full Name:Matthijs Grit

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

In case of Mark Stielow's work I say YES YES YES ..... YES!

Edited by matthijsgrit, 23 August 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#55 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

All these genres have their place and fans. I am always amazed on how so called "Car Guys" love to bash others who do not comform to their vision of what is right.

I am not sure in what you mean by "so called car guys", but "bashing" as you call it, is the American way. we all love cars, just our style more than others. if everyone conformed to one way, it would be pretty boring... and there is no "right".... just likes and dislikes

I love football, I hate the steelers and "BASH" them any chance I get. (GO BROWNS)

#56 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

I like pro touring and pro street! But, just like every genre going, there are those that are over-the-top. I see it all of the time with pro touring, pro street, rat rods, donks, etc. There is such a thing as too much IMO. Personally, I can't stand factory stock. I don't understand how anyone can look at a car from the factory and see no way of improving it. :huh:  

#57 Richard Bartrop

Richard Bartrop

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Bartrop

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

When done right, I think they look great. 

#58 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Bashing is the American way. That is a sad statement.

#59 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

For me, those are a Big "Nay"!

Honestly said, I think a Old School car looks horrible with wheels bigger than 15" and/or Low profile tires. They just look horrible. Same thing with the modern "Plastic covered" LS Engines. Nay!

Here I'd say that Old School Is Cool!

#60 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, I can't understand the need for engine covers either.