ChevyCoupe41

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Full Name:Matti Tirronen

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Well both Yay and Nay.

Some cars looks pretty good with bigger than 16" wheels (like '67-'69 Camaros) but some cars don't ('50s cars with those huge rims, yuck!) . And what came with those engines well I'm guy how respect old school and like it most but sometimes it's nice to see car with LS engine under the hood (like '80 Camino for example) than that 140 horse power 305 under the hood. :rolleyes: But theres also those cars what don't need plastic covered LS engines or something new under the hood. Like all 50's cars. 

Edited by ChevyCoupe41, 23 August 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#62 Burnout

Burnout

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Smith

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'll say Nay. I'm not anti-pro touring (or pro street) but to "resto mod" a '69 Camaro or any other classic '60's muscle car is a form of automotive blasphemy.

Edited by Burnout, 23 August 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#63 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Factory stock is fine, but, pretty boring. And not all of the Camaros where SS, RS or special, other than being Camaros. 

It is all up the owners and their likes, and if you do not like them, then move on. I do. 

BLASPHEMER_zps8aefd690.jpg

#64 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Would you rather see a P-51 Mustang in a museum or blasting by on the deck at full song? ;)

Definetly the latter! We have a local businessman that restores vintage planes, one of which is a P-51 (Lil' Margaret). I've seen him fly here, hard to beat the sound of a Merlin running wide open!

#65 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Definetly the latter! We have a local businessman that restores vintage planes, one of which is a P-51 (Lil' Margaret). I've seen him fly here, hard to beat the sound of a Merlin running wide open!

X2

#66 Richard Bartrop

Richard Bartrop

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Bartrop

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Factory stock is fine, but, pretty boring. And not all of the Camaros where SS, RS or special, other than being Camaros. 

It is all up the owners and their likes, and if you do not like them, then move on. I do. 

Well said.

Seriously, is anyone actually going to go, "Gee, I'd better not build one, or the Internet might not like me anymore!" ?

Edited by Richard Bartrop, 23 August 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#67 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Now imagine what 4 sound like.

In the old days (before overflying the crowd at airshows was banned) the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial flight used to fly their Lancaster over the spectators at zero feet.  They'd approach from behind while your attention was distracted by the Spitfires and Hurricanes flying up and down the runway.

Edited by zenrat, 23 August 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#68 69NovaYenko

69NovaYenko

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Little

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

All these genres have their place and fans. I am always amazed on how so called "Car Guys" love to bash others who do not comform to their vision of what is right.

Have fun, build it if you can afford it and drive it. That is my criteria. I don't like trailer queens.

Would you rather see a P-51 Mustang in a museum or blasting by on the deck at full song? ;)

And the answer is....P-51 Mustang blasting by on the deck at full throttle!!!!

Edited by 69NovaYenko, 23 August 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#69 JM485

JM485

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Mouzakis

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

In case of Mark Stielow's work I say YES YES YES ..... YES!

That guys does some incredible work.  I have read his book/how to manual and it is a very well written and illustrated piece.  And he does it all without a lift if I remember right, only jack stands!

#70 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Bashing is the American way. That is a sad statement.

yep. you are right. its done in politics, sports, car commercials, all aspects of our everyday life. it's even taught in schools and collages in debate classes. 

#71 Watertown

Watertown

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Grover

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

A somewhat reluctant "Nay" from me. It's interesting when done right, but most I see just look like oversized Hot Wheels cars. 

#72 Chas SCR

Chas SCR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Full Name:Chas Cochran

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

There is big differnce between a retro mod/pro touring car and a full blow Pro Touring G-force car. The G cars are made to show/go and beat the living BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of and still drive down the road!  Kyle Tucker from Detroit Speed drove his Goodguys National winning camaro from NC to Columbus ohio and still put on a heck of a show and drove home.  If they don't have a 4 point cage or better then they're not a G car!

For Pro Street guys come on all you did was take the 70s street machine and tucked the tires under the rear fenders and still only can do a straight line with it!

#73 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

After reading this again I have to wonder, is this new or just a newer version of what they did in the 40's , before and after the war. 

#74 JM485

JM485

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Mouzakis

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Not really sure why people are getting so worked up over this, it is just a simple opinion.  Some like them, some don't, nothing wrong either way.  For those that do like them, here are a few pics of some of my favorites from the Goodguys show I attended in Pleasanton, CA yesterday.  Didn't think to bring the camera, so sorry about the cellphone pics. :mellow:

E41A0261_zpsdcf48714.jpg

E41A0263_zpsba20dcc8.jpg

E41A0264_zps0d8aed4a.jpg

E41A0266_zps4846cabd.jpg

E41A0267_zpscca9c4c5.jpg

E41A0268_zpsba33cc0d.jpg

#75 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

For Pro Street guys come on all you did was take the 70s street machine and tucked the tires under the rear fenders and still only can do a straight line with it!

exactly!!! best way from point A to point B is a straight line......

#76 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I like the idea of modern suspension and drivetrain under a vintage body.  Like anything some are tasteful and look great and some are nightmares.  Only you can tell which is which ;)

#77 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

They would handle. So much better than the original stock suspension setup's. 

Edited by my80malibu, 26 August 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#78 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

YAY! are you kidding me. It's the best of both worlds

#79 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Kurth

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

ugh. I hate "pro touring". Not the cars that people are talking about, they're fine if that's your thing. It's the phrase that kills me. I erp a little in my mouth every time I read it, and I go out of my way to not say it. When people say it to me, l pretend I don't know what they're talking about and say "The what? You mean that sweet looking nova with the 18" Torq Thrusts? Your're right, that is pretty nice."