#1 Rebal442

Rebal442

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Full Name:Ben beatley

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

I would like to get my hands on a v12 Detroit diesel for a pulling truck build I would like to continue.  I am wondering if there is any kit that comes with one or if there is a resin available?  any help would be great.!

thanks

#2 purepmd

purepmd

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Botzki

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

You have a couple of choices, If you want, the Tyrone Malone Super Boss and Bandag Bandit both have twin turbocharged 12V-71s. A substantially cheaper alternative is the P&P resin works resin 12v-71.
It is around $25.00. I have both, and the resin one really gives up nothing as far as quality. http://ppvintagekits.com/ is their address. Good customer service to boot.

#3 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,746 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

The AMT Super Boss and Bandag Bandit kits had that engine if I'm not mistaken. I know the AMT/Ertl Payhauler 350 has a big Detroit in it, but that one might actually be a V-16.

Edit- looks like Mark beat me to it with a better answer! :D

Edited by Michigan Madman, 23 August 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#4 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

payhauler is a V16.

I made a 12 by cutting the front and rear cylinder banks off 2 8's and gluing them together.If my parts box allows I make stuff to save money for kits,parts or decals.

#5 b_lever1

b_lever1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Full Name:bob leverington

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

payhauler is a V16.

I made a 12 by cutting the front and rear cylinder banks off 2 8's and gluing them together.If my parts box allows I make stuff to save money for kits,parts or decals.

Smart idea more money for kits

Edited by b_lever1, 23 August 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#6 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Smart idea more money for kits

Pretty smart actually, but if you don't have a parts box and you are actually using your 2 stoke DD's in your builds... Unless you cast them yourself, even that solution will have its limits. As it is, the only kits with the 8V71 or any other 2 stroke Detroits are the Chevy Titan and the Peterbilt 352. So stock up if you like screamin' Jimmies. There are not many styrene iterations going around anymore.

#7 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

http://www.freewebs.com/mmtaer/
Here is one for you.

#8 Old Albion

Old Albion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Check with Dave Natal at AITM (www.aitruckmodels.com) and Eric at P & P vintage kits (www.ppvintagekits.com).  They both offer a 12V71 Detroit and are both great to deal with.  The engine in the super boss Kenworth is a 12V71TTA.  It is I believe a marine version of the engine with a much higher output than the standard over the road 12V71.  There were other suppliers (Hendrix) of resin 12V71s but I think they may no longer be in business.  The moulds maybe the ones that Eric and Dave have.

#9 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

http://www.freewebs.com/mmtaer/
Here is one for you.

I have a couple of their detroit engines and while nobody else offers a 12V92... Their castings a little rough and need more work to prepare, I'm sure to get a good result but I wouldn't recommend those for a first time build with resin. I have put together the twin turbo V12 from AITM which is pretty much the old Super Boss engine and builds quite well. I believe it would be easy to leave off the turbos if need be.