Jeremy Jon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Jon

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:47 AM

Very cool build Scrappy, keep up the fantastic work

x2 on this Fuch wheel centers, great workmanship!  how to contact that fellow?

#182 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Dirk... Wow I have to say this build is just fantastic and Bad A$$. I love the direction you are going with this. Your work is amazing. I know I am a little late to the game but I will be following along. Keep up the killer work. What brand of lathe do you have for the parts you machined?

Thanks, Chris! I us the Sherline set up. In my opinion, it is the best for your money, particularly with the amount of accessories they have for their system and the ease of use of those accessories. When you decide, to go for it, let me know and I can tell you what all accessories I think you should go with. Again, thanks for the kind words on the Ghia project!

#183 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the kind words, fellas! It is good to get back at it, but with Jim's wheels in tow, I had no choice but to get back at it. To say those wheels are the shiznit, is an understatement!

Edited by ScrappyJ, 27 August 2014 - 04:46 AM.

#184 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Dirk, Glad to see you back on this one. I really like this build on many levels. The bodywork mods you've made so far are just perfect. Love the stance and the car just "looks right" from all angles.  Nice machining as well.  Cheers, Tim

Thanks, Codi, I'm just waiting for more progress on the Henry J. That thing is just sick! You have a cool ability to capture realism with things most don't even think about. Very cool indeed!

glad to see see some one making some progress Dirk, I can't seem to make any! The Ghia is really shaping up, every thing is looking perfect! do we have a color picked out for this badboy??? all ways a treat my friend!

I'm still thinking about a blue. There is a Tamiya blue I like but then David Thibodeau also gave me a blue from from scalefinishes (a Ferrari 524 Azzurro blue) that looks pretty good too. I haven't decided yet which blue. As ALWAYS, thanks for the kind words, Bill!

Edited by ScrappyJ, 24 August 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#185 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thanks, Chris! I us the Sherline set up. In my opinion, it is the best for your money, particularly with the amount of accessories they have for their system and the ease of use of those accessories. When you decide, to go for it, let me know and I can tell you what all accessories I think you should go with. Again, thanks for the kind words on the Ghia project!

Thanks Dirk... I will have take you up on the offer about which accessories to go with. I have been eyeing the 6200 Lathe and Mill "Ultimate Machine Shop Package"  with the Digital Read outs. I just need to save up  the 3 grand cash.... LMAO  :lol:

http://www.sherline.com/packages.htm

#186 David@MinidreamsInc.

David@MinidreamsInc.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

WOW ! WOW ! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I  cant  say  anything  else ! This is just  OUTSTANDING !

#187 ningoth4

ningoth4

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Foureman

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

Yep, this is turning out beautifully! Love those Fuchs. Happy to see new progress on the project.

Kevin

#188 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:53 AM

Thanks Dirk... I will have take you up on the offer about which accessories to go with. I have been eyeing the 6200 Lathe and Mill "Ultimate Machine Shop Package"  with the Digital Read outs. I just need to save up  the 3 grand cash.... LMAO  :lol:

http://www.sherline.com/packages.htm

Hahaha...I know what you mean about the cost, it is pretty steep; however, worth the cost.

I would definitely get the DRO! I had the zero-resettable in my mill, but once I got the DRO (i believe Mike Lawrence, GT Mike, encouraged me to get them) I've been hooked ever since. Don't get me wrong, the basically serve the same purpose, but the DRO makes it so much easier. I'll go and check out the package and let. You know my thoughts (only MY personal thoughts and not meant to be expert advise).

Also, on Sherline's site, there is a monthly sale of about 20% off and sometimes you can get the mill, lathe and/or both at a more reasonable price.

Looks like a good set-up. When I started some 20+ years ago, i started with just the lathe, milling attachment, rotary table and other accessories like the vice. I wish I cold have gotten everything at once, but couldn't afford it.

Some items that I'm not sure I saw in huge package would be:
- 1012, Sensitive Drilling Attachment
- 3065, Slitting Saw Holder
- 3570, Rotating Mill Vise Base

With your attention to detail (like many others on here), I get excited when others join the machining fraternity. I can't wait for you to get a set-up to see what you come up with.

Edited by ScrappyJ, 27 August 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#189 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

Some more pics.  It is difficult to tell with my crappy pictures and all, but the two outer gauges (oil pressure and volt) are notched so that they fit onto the radius of the two main, center gauges (the tach and speedo).  That idea came from Mike Lawrence to emulate the exhaust pipes on some of the Porshce cars.  

19430356559724-vi.jpg

Again, due to the crappy pictures, you can't tell that the rotors have been crossed drilled and vented.  In huias is picture, the rotor is sitting on the post-it I wrote some of the math on for dividing the drilled holes.  Because I wanted to simulate a "carbon" look for the rotors, I used some solid blank, black, resin stock that David Morton creates when he is luring resin and has left over.  The molds for the stock are made from deep-sockets.
25430356625326-vi.jpg
Here are the rotors with the rotor hats. Again sorry for the poor quality of the pictures that the I-phone produces
29430356629526-vi.jpg
Here is one of them in process and ready to be cut off. While the machining process does create a chalky-looking residue, once you wash it with some Dawn and rinse it, that residue goes away
18430356618226-vi.jpg

#190 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

too much, this just keeps getting better. I gotta go back and read where you bent those tubes and stuff, got a similar project coming up and could use some tips. I take it they are actually rod and not tube?

jb

#191 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:06 AM

Wheels and dash are looking awesome!!!!

#192 Codi

Codi

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Hoagland

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

NICE Scrappy.  Everything you're doing is just fantastic.  Your brakes are very slick. 

Cheers,

Tim

#193 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:35 AM

Thanks fellas!

#194 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

too much, this just keeps getting better. I gotta go back and read where you bent those tubes and stuff, got a similar project coming up and could use some tips. I take it they are actually rod and not tube?

jb

Correct, JB, I used rods and not tubes.

#195 Plasticfanatic

Plasticfanatic

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Perez

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:46 AM

Superb work, the side profile picture show how beautiful and subtle your body modifications integrate in the original body design, and all the other custom/scrachtbuilt parts just add more to this fantastic build, looking forward for more updates.

#196 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hahaha...I know what you mean about the cost, it is pretty steep; however, worth the cost.

I would definitely get the DRO! I had the zero-resettable in my mill, but once I got the DRO (i believe Mike Lawrence, GT Mike, encouraged me to get them) I've been hooked ever since. Don't get me wrong, the basically serve the same purpose, but the DRO makes it so much easier. I'll go and check out the package and let. You know my thoughts (only MY personal thoughts and not meant to be expert advise).

Also, on Sherline's site, there is a monthly sale of about 20% off and sometimes you can get the mill, lathe and/or both at a more reasonable price.

Looks like a good set-up. When I started some 20+ years ago, i started with just the lathe, milling attachment, rotary table and other accessories like the vice. I wish I cold have gotten everything at once, but couldn't afford it.

Some items that I'm not sure I saw in huge package would be:
- 1012, Sensitive Drilling Attachment
- 3065, Slitting Saw Holder
- 3570, Rotating Mill Vise Base

With your attention to detail (like many others on here), I get excited when others join the machining fraternity. I can't wait for you to get a set-up to see what you come up with.

Dirk... Thank you for the advice on these other items. I will definitely look at getting them as well. I am hoping possibly after the first of the year that I will be able to go ahead and purchase the set up I want. I will tell you this I am itching and excited about making some of my own parts. I have been putting off buying it because I have had to take care of other things first .... I Have had to replace my roof and paint my house this year, was a pretty penny too....lol I will keep you posted on the Sherline stuff.

Any more updates to this beauty?? I am also curious what you used for the faces on your gages. They turned out great!