166 replies to this topic

#41 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the continued kind and encouraging words, Gents!

I did get the front spindles and the rear axle housing done. Unfortunately, I think I have to redo the driver's side front spindle as it is a little off and the car is like a trike right now (but hey, at least I don't have zooming muffles jacking my car up). I thought I would have some good time to work this weekend (it being a 3-day weekend and all), but there is a mustang show in town and one of my friends from STT wants to go. For most that know me, I am more of a bow-tie guy and not a huge fan of the blue oval.

photo41-vi.jpg
photo33-vi.jpg
photo42-vi.jpg
photo38-vi.jpg
photo47-vi.jpg[

Sitting on all fours:
photo43-vi.jpg

This will likely be it in term of the quantity of updates for a while.

Edited by ScrappyJ, 29 August 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#42 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 Kennyboy

Kennyboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Boyer

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Just stumbled upon this AMAZING piece of art!

LOVE it!

#44 ningoth4

ningoth4

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Foureman

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:10 AM

In love with this project!!!! I am a huge VW fan, and I even have had a similar idea in mind fore several years now, and so am watching with great interest in what you are doing here. Great styling and workmanship.

Kevin

#45 Jeremy Jon

Jeremy Jon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Jon

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

Very creative build idea, and looking great!  Love the stance and look of it!

I always loved the look of my old 1968 Ghia coupe, but it was a cancer problem underneath, so sold it, but still they are good looking cars!

#46 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Geeeez........ This is killer!!!!!!! Today's kids talk about "stance". Here's the definition. This sucker sits "just right".

Absolutely amazing build. The chassis work is inspiring. Once big-car season winds down I'll start small-car season. And I'm taking notes on you guys building brass chassis'. I have a rather homely Lancer that's going big-time because of you craftsmen.

Please, carry on!

#47 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

whow whow whow , this is just insanely cool .. whow :)
did i say whow yet ?

seriously this is stunning :)

#48 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Yes you did. I'll say it too:

WHOW

#49 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

nice progress Dirk! beautiful craftsmanship my friend, what are the front spindles made of if I may ask??

#50 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, fellas!

#51 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

nice progress Dirk! beautiful craftsmanship my friend, what are the front spindles made of if I may ask??

Hi, Bill- the spindle was machined from 6065 and I used a 00-90 tap on the top and bottom to attach to the upper and lower control arms (I've found that if you use Sherline's sensitive drill attachment to drill and then you put the tap directly into the chuck after you've drilled, the tap is directly lined-up and you can now hand turn the headstock- I also have the attachment for hand turning that looks similar to what they have on the sewing machines). The actual spindle/axle is brass that is pressed into the main spindle body. hopefully this makes sense.

#52 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Love this build.....

#53 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

Great Progress Dirk!

Beautiful Work... B)

#54 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks guys!

Although it was a 3-day weekend, I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked to.  Part of the reason, is that there was a 1:1 car show at one of the Disney resorts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which also had a model contest (I didn't compete, but did show some models on the first day, Saturday).  I had an event to go to on Sunday and was unable to make it back, so for that and a couple other reasons, I just displayed some stuff on Saturday.

Since Saturday and Sunday were out and Monday morning was breakfast with the family, this left half of the day to get anything done.  I did manage to work on the roll bar, which would be bolted to the bottom chassis.  The idea was to tap using scale hardware's 1.0, but it didn't work out exactly like I wanted.  The four mounting points are soldered to tubing that I cut in half and then made holes for the bolts to go through.  The holes were then marked and then I held the chassis on the bed of the milling table, drilled the holes and then attempted to tap (that's where it got tricky because I didn't want the holes to come out of the bottom, so I had to grind the tip of the tap so I could get enough of the tap down into the hole). It didn't work out as well as I hoped because the threads in all holes aren't that great:

photo55-vi.jpg
photo54-vi.jpg

The bottom view.  I was also able to get some cross member/structure done.  The ones towards the rear where they both angle towards the square center tubing was a challenge.  Part of the reason is that I use this mud I had bought from Small Parts, Inc. prior to them being bought by Amazon.  It is supposedly heat resistant (which I do think it is) but I think it mostly holds the part in place than prevents heat from getting to it.  The problem is that once I covered the other area with it, the solder wouldn't flow at my joints.  So I then had to solder the joints at the other end first and then come back to the joints towards the back.  It worked out in the end so no complaints.
photo56-vi.jpg
Pics of the attachment points for the roll bar (bad ones at that).  I need to break-out my macro lens, but am too lazy and besides, I have no space to set-up a studio.
photo57-vi.jpg
photo58-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ, 03 September 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#55 BKIN10SECS

BKIN10SECS

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Not bad....not bad but, if you really want to impress me....make it all wheel drive :blink:. Just kidding my brother. I'm leaning towards this being my favorite of all your incredible builds.... I know I know, I say this after each new build of yours lol. Seriously the subject matter and what we see so far....BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH!!!! Just love the cooling vents in front of the rear wheel well openings. I will call you later today to let you know whats been going on.  

#56 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Not bad....not bad but, if you really want to impress me....make it all wheel drive :blink:. Just kidding my brother. I'm leaning towards this being my favorite of all your incredible builds.... I know I know, I say this after each new build of yours lol. Seriously the subject matter and what we see so far....######!!!! Just love the cooling vents in front of the rear wheel well openings. I will call you later today to let you know whats been going on.

Thanks, Bro!!! You missed a show this weekend at the Coronado. It was pretty cool, but not on the level of GoodGuys. I'll be around, so hit me whenever.

#57 TimKustom

TimKustom

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Kolankiewicz

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

Nice work so far. Kool concept. Wish I could have made it to Orlando.

Keep 'em coming! I'll be watching.

#58 Brizio

Brizio

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Fabrizio Fae

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Looks great!

#59 cruz

cruz