Although it was a 3-day weekend, I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked to. Part of the reason, is that there was a 1:1 car show at one of the Disney resorts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which also had a model contest (I didn't compete, but did show some models on the first day, Saturday). I had an event to go to on Sunday and was unable to make it back, so for that and a couple other reasons, I just displayed some stuff on Saturday.
Since Saturday and Sunday were out and Monday morning was breakfast with the family, this left half of the day to get anything done. I did manage to work on the roll bar, which would be bolted to the bottom chassis. The idea was to tap using scale hardware's 1.0, but it didn't work out exactly like I wanted. The four mounting points are soldered to tubing that I cut in half and then made holes for the bolts to go through. The holes were then marked and then I held the chassis on the bed of the milling table, drilled the holes and then attempted to tap (that's where it got tricky because I didn't want the holes to come out of the bottom, so I had to grind the tip of the tap so I could get enough of the tap down into the hole). It didn't work out as well as I hoped because the threads in all holes aren't that great:
The bottom view. I was also able to get some cross member/structure done. The ones towards the rear where they both angle towards the square center tubing was a challenge. Part of the reason is that I use this mud I had bought from Small Parts, Inc. prior to them being bought by Amazon. It is supposedly heat resistant (which I do think it is) but I think it mostly holds the part in place than prevents heat from getting to it. The problem is that once I covered the other area with it, the solder wouldn't flow at my joints. So I then had to solder the joints at the other end first and then come back to the joints towards the back. It worked out in the end so no complaints.
Pics of the attachment points for the roll bar (bad ones at that). I need to break-out my macro lens, but am too lazy and besides, I have no space to set-up a studio.
Edited by ScrappyJ, 03 September 2013 - 06:15 AM.