futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Dale,
Where is the 1.25 rear wheel well opening you referenced being measured at? Most of my other dimensions are spot on or are at least within what I believe are allowable tolerances. What is the prescribed/standard rear tire diameter for this class these days?

#22 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

scott, 33.5-17-16 tires are used. goodyeaqr only in nhra.  16x16 beadlocks are mandatory.

#23 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Thanks Dave!  Do you know what the real world dimensions of the tires are? OD, section width and tread?

#24 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

i can only give you the goodyear sites info. i never ran the goodyear 2200 tire so i don't know it's characteristics.

tire o.d.- 33.8

circumference- 105

section width- 20.5

tread width_17.4

i can tell you they will get bigger in o.d. and width after 3-4 good burnouts. how much really depends on a lot of factors.

#25 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Dale,
Where is the 1.25 rear wheel well opening you referenced being measured at? Most of my other dimensions are spot on or are at least within what I believe are allowable tolerances. What is the prescribed/standard rear tire diameter for this class these days?

Wheel well at widest point measured directly from the scaled photo. Here's another I worked up from an artists rendition.

v8a8.jpg

Dale

EDIT: I have what Competition Resins sells as current Pro Stock tires, and they seem big. I'll measure them and post later.

Edited by ScaleDale, 25 August 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#26 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thanks again, Dave.  I should've thought to look at the Goodyear site and it didn't even occur to me.  Those dimensions should be more than good enough to do.

#27 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the new drawings Dale.

#28 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Welcome, Scott. Thanks for the 4 link and front struts I'm putting on my Pro Mod '49 Merc. (yes, guys, I paid)

The Competition Resins Modern Pro Stock slicks measure as follows: (actual followed by scaled up)

OD 1.34 inches  33.5 in.

ID   0.64 in.         16 in.

Tread  0.6 in.      15 in.

Width   0.8 in.      20 in.

Dale

#29 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

To determine how much my Mustang could deviate from stock, I compared an NHRA approved blueprint of a 2012 Camaro sold by 5 Star Race Car Bodies to the same measurements of a Revell stock 2010 Camaro. 

Here's the blueprint for the Camaro with the dimensions converted to 1:25 in inches and mm.

74a8.jpg

This is the bottom half of the PDF with all the dimensions in 1:1 scale.

fn3q.jpg

This is the result of comparing the PS Camaro, Stock Camaro and Stock Mustang. I used these as a base for cutting my body.

Attached File  ComparativeDimensions.rtf   663bytes   11 downloads

Dale

#30 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Looks like a great start. I will definitely follow this as PS is one of my favorite classes. All the tech info by you guys is really appreciated.

#31 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

I kinda figured that but I didnt want to assume so I thought I‘d ask just as a clarification for me

All of the red lines got locked together in one layer and I couldn't move them when I found an error. The 1.2 is the width of the rear wheel well (1.25 in a white box) and the 1.1 is the length of the rear overhang measured from the back of the wheel well. The overall length is off by 0.05 inches if you add it all up due to rounding to the nearest 1/10 of an inch. Sue me... :)

The 0.3 is the distance from the bottom of the rear window to the top of the rear wheel well.

Dale

#32 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

I made significant progress today.  Better than what I expected.  I got the driver side pillars cut off last night before going to bed.  I got the passenger side done today.  Tried to get them evened up so they're as close to identical as I could make them.

Roofadded002_zps385c9d0b.jpg

Roofadded001_zpsfb9fb98c.jpg

Both were trimmed so they set down nicely on the quarters.  Wonder of wonders, I actually got both sides reattached late this afternoon.  I measured the distance between the two pillar sides, did the math to figure out how much I need to remove from the roof section I removed yesterday, transferred those marks to it and actually got it trimmed tonight, so the remainder of the pics tonight are mockups of what it looks like at the moment.

Roofadded003_zpsf7e742b4.jpg

Roofadded004_zps1b454afa.jpg

Roofadded008_zpsda92cf98.jpg

Roofadded010_zps75b04175.jpg

Roofadded011_zps0cad942c.jpg

...and the requisite side-by-side comparison with the '06 Mustang.

Roofadded015_zpscf751b4d.jpg

#33 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Team Aruba has (or had) an Extreme Pro Stock Mustang. Here's a link to a bunch of reference pics.

http://www.bing.com/...ing&FORM=HDRSC2

Dale

#34 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Coming along and starting to look good. Ambitious project, solid progress. I really like the 4th from top (profile) shot in post 32. Definitely getting the right look.

#35 Dragfreak

Dragfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brunelle

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

great job with the body!!

#36 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Very nice work so far!

#37 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the kinds words, Jeff.  I appreciate it.

Joe - Thanks for your encouragement!  Thanks, too, for bringing the brownies.  I hear they're a big hit! LOL

Hey thanks Paul.  Brownies always draw a crowd... :)

Thank you, Jeremy John.  Much appreciated!

You're welcome to partake of a brownie, if there's anything left. LOL

Brett - So far I haven't messed things up.  Hopefully I can stay on the straight and narrow and keep this baby moving along.

Thanks a bunch, Leonard!  How are you doing with Camaro project???  I'm looking forward to seeing you send through an update one of these days!

I could try talking you into scaling down, Dave, but I know it wouldn't work.  Besides that, I love seeing the detail you put into your 1/8 builds...

Thanks Ira...  So far things are going fairly smoothly.  Hopefully they'll keep going that way. :)

Hey, I appreciate your encouragement, Dave R.

You're right, Bill.  This was a pretty ambitious undertaking.  There's not a panel on the car that hasn't had at least one intrusion into it, if not several.  I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far.  There are a couple of nuance-y sort of things I'm not sure if I want to try, or leave well enough alone.  On some P/S Mustang pics, it appears the quarters mildly flare out in behind the doors.  That may be do-able.  I'm not sure whether there is more front end "droop" on the 1:1s than what is possible with the 1/25th version.  IF there is, I don't think there's much I can do to enhance the front of the car.  By the time the hood is bulged, that will, for sure, help create more of the appearance of a drooped nose, or so I'd think.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jason!  I truly appreciate it.

Dirk - Thanks for the kind words.  They'll help keep me going on this.

#38 tyrone

tyrone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Full Name:Tyrone Price

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hey Scott... I think this bad boy is coming along great... I give you guys all the props to cut up and modify these bodies... This one is looking spot on..I especially like the side shot.... If you do cast this... I could definately see a mustang pro stock build in my future...lol.... Great Job....

#39 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Oh yeah, now ya got the look. That looks pretty spot on now!!! Great work!!! You have more patience than I would. Always thought about building a Pro Stocker or Pro Mod but was a bit more than I wanted to pull off. Can't wait for more!!!

#40 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Scott.... I have to give you tons of credit for cutting this body up. You have totally impressed me with the body so far and I think it is spot on to a new pro stock and I love what you have done. Keep going forward with this because I know this build will just be amazing. Nice work buddy!!