#21 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,218 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I agree! It is the new way of using the language and communicating, like it or not. You can't change it, for better or worse it's here to stay. About the best we can hope for in a situation like this, where we all communicate with each other in written (non-verbal) form, is that people would have enough respect for their fellow members to write their posts in standard English.

We can only hope

#22 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Please don't get me wrong...I'm really not trying to be a pedantic little richard, and the online forum environment isn't particularly important in the overall scheme of things. What I'm seeing as a disturbing byproduct is more and more sloppily written and unclear business communications, and work produced in the media by people who have DEGREES in English or journalism...work that  wouldn't have made it past any decent editor in the not-too-distant past.

#23 JunkPile

JunkPile

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Saxton

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Joke:  How many grammar police does it take to....nevermind

#24 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,342 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Please don't get me wrong...I'm really not trying to be a pedantic little richard, and the online forum environment isn't particularly important in the overall scheme of things. What I'm seeing as a disturbing byproduct is more and more sloppily written and unclear business communications, and work produced in the media by people who have DEGREES in English or journalism...work that  wouldn't have made it past any decent editor in the not-too-distant past.

Interesting that you mention degrees in journalism. I read both major Chicago papers online, and one of them regularly features poor spelling, bad grammar and just flat-out bad writing... by so-called "professional" journalists and editors. Stuff that any high-school English teacher would immediately catch. And I'm not talking about the Podunk Gazette... I'm talking about a major big-city newspaper. The stuff that gets by the editors is amazing. And embarrassing.

#25 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

It's not just younger people. There plenty of people who grew up before the internet age who don't know the difference between there/their/they're, to/too, along with punctuation/capitalization, etc. Their posts can be hard to comprehend at times...especially if they're having a meltdown. :-D Always fun to watch.

#26 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,342 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Whenever I see someone use the word "loose" when they mean "lose" (ands it is so common!), it's like nails on a chalkboard. 

Your pants can be too loose. There can be a loose wire causing an electrical problem. You may even know a woman with loose morals... but you can't "loose" your keys.

#27 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

... You may even know a woman with loose morals...

Ran her off in 2001. Sometimes I catch myself thinking "what was I thinking!?". :lol:

PS. I losted my keys, right?

#28 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

It doesnt matter what generation your from every generation has slang words. Doesnt matter if you grew up in the 50s or the 90s every generation has their language. But if u want to start on my generation the why was the sixtys full of idiots and
Drugheads.

"It doesnt doesn't matter what generation your you're from(.) every Every generation has slang words. Doesnt It doesn't matter if you grew up in the 50s or the 90s(,) every generation has their language. But if u you want to start on my generation the then why was were the sixtys full of idiots and Drugheads. drug heads?"

I went to school in the '50s and '60s, taught Elementary school for most of my working life earned several degrees and smoked pot. All that and not only can I type a paragraph, but I can edit yours as well.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale, 25 August 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#29 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Bill, I think a lot of it has to do with the basic education that people get.  As an "old fart" who had nuns (Sister Mary Discipline with the steel edged ruler on your knuckles) and Brothers and/or Priests (with the 10 lb. textbook falling on the top of your head), we learned the things we had to learn quickly to avoid the wrath of the teachers.  With the changes in school grading curves and society's more permissive rules and regulations over the past 30 or 40 years, the quality of education has suffered greatly.  Many people didn't either get the basic spelling, grammar and punctuation education back in their formative years, just like basic arithmetic (people who can't make the correct change at a cash register.  We can beat this to death but it unfortunately won't change it.

I have to completely disagree with most, if not all, of this paragraph. I am the father of three school age children. They study all the basics and have greater skill in most subjects than I ever did at the same level. Yes, anectodal, but I work closely with my kids at their elementary school and can see the teaching methods and support that schools provide - they are in no way "suffering".

However, now that the Internet allows you to actually see the ignorance of a greater number of people, it SEEMS that there are more of them. Ignorance has always been and will always around - it just hasn't always been so evident.

#30 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Busbey

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

When did the grammer nazis join the fourm!!

#31 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Busbey

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Ok i have a question for the ones complaining about how people write stuff. Do you spell everything you write correct,use the correct version of certian words use correct punctuation capitalize everything that should anytime you write spell or email some one or post something

Edited by chevyfever2009, 25 August 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#32 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Ran her off in 2001. Sometimes I catch myself thinking "what was I thinking!?". :lol:

PS. I losted my keys, right?

No , you CASTED them and then LOOSED them!

#33 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Those who grew up during texting and Facebook and Twitter also learned correct spelling, grammar and punctuation in school (I assume)... 

Harry, you know what happens when you assume!?!?! :lol:  :huh:  :blink:

#34 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I completely understand the reason for using common abbreviations for texting (you can look where you're driving more often if you use fewer letters), but in communications where speed just isn't the overriding issue, I don't get it.

If you are texting while you are driving, and this applies to everyone, being stupid in spelling is the least of your idiocy!!

DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE DUMMIES!!!

I am a professional driver with over one million safe miles on this country's roads and seen firsthand the results of texting and driving, and believe me, it's not pretty. That text isn't worth my life or yours!!

This now concludes my properly spelled Public Service Announcement, now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

#35 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

The only solution(?) as I see it, is for those of us that compose complete sentences that can be comprehended, with correct spelling, punctuation and grammar in English, ignore those who ask assistance of the Forum. I really don't care what the textheads want to do amongst themselves, when you post here use proper form. Of course for those to whose English is a secondary language are excused.

#36 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

When did the grammer nazis join the fourm!!

When did the grammar Nazis join the forum??

Your post has been corrected by the Grammar Nazi! :rolleyes:

#37 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Ok i have a question for the ones complaining about how people write stuff. Do you spell everything you write correct,use the correct version of certian words use correct punctuation capitalize everything that should anytime you write spell or email some one or post something

Pretty much. Anytime I write anything anywhere I assume I'm speaking to an audience and want to present myself in a certain way. I may deviate from that to a degree if I want to remain in character talking to a bunch of racers or such, but I proofread and correct all my posts. Follow me around and see how often you see that "edit" thing at the bottom of my posts. I can't see just typing away and hitting send.

Dale

#38 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Yes. I know how, so why wouldn't I ? It doesn't take any more time to do it right. :)

Believe it or not, there are some people who actually enjoy using English correctly; it's just like using any other tool correctly. B)

Remember...English (or any language) is a TOOL that lets you share thoughts, information and ideas with other people. The better you use the tool, the more easily and completely you'll be understood, and the better you'll understand others. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 25 August 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#39 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

"the reason for using common abbreviations for texting (you can look where you're driving more often if you use fewer letters)"

That was a joke. I guess I should have put a  :lol:  at the end. :) :)

#40 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

The short answer is a resounding "Yes!"  You have to think outside the world of Facebook and texting to understand why, though.   Go back to post #28 and look at how much Dale had to edit what you wrote in order to bring it up to "acceptable English" standards.  To be blunt, when people older than your generation see this stuff,  you collectively come off as a bunch of 'tards, and before you tell me that what they think doesn't matter, remember that they're the ones who'll be doing the hiring for the forseeable future.

Also, there's a huge difference between "generational slang" and the inability to differentiate between 2nd grade words like your and you're or there, their and they're.  Do you get to mix and match multiplication table results too?  Personally, I believe it comes down to willful indifference.  Here's why: Over the years, we've had a decent sampling of Europeans join our board, and even though English was, at best, a second language to most of them, none of them ever created a literary pile of poop like you did in the paragraph that Dale edited.  That's because they were taught proper English, including punctuation and spelling. 

I'd honestly love to know how colleges are handling this kind of thing.  Can you imagine grading a term paper wirtten in this garbage?