Revell Mooneyes Dragster Race Team (eventually)

• You cannot reply to this topic
73 replies to this topic

#21 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yes, the Mooneyes frame and the Attempt 1 frame are essentially the same (and not completely correct for either one) with only a few small differences. I'm not a kit historian by any means, but my guess is that the Revell parts pack frame (marketed as the Mooneyes frame) is the same as what's in the double kit:

MooneyesPartsPack-vi.jpg

Here's what I ended up with after trying to "accuratize" the Attempt 1:

AttemptchassisLRinterior-vi.jpg

And here's the box art from the Mooneyes/Sanitary T double kit:

TMooneyes-vi.jpg

#22 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

ranchero steve, great work on that mooneyes, I could tell a lot of interest and work went into it. very inspiring, obviously!

might be something to consider, using the AMT engine but the Revell blower because as it is I am pretty much stuck with 2 port injection unless I find a shorter four port one. that would be the third engine build for this, so maybe the third time will be the charm!

nice work on that Thompson car too, I keep forgetting it has the same origins as the mooneyes.

don't get too many expectations up on this build actually, right now I am being reverent but soon will swerve off into the blasphemous with the modern Japanese tow vehicle!

#23 scalemodeler

scalemodeler

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Croughwell

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

This is a build I'd like to do too...Wondering if it is the same motor that's in the Orange Crate

#24 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

Similar Potvin blower set-up, but the engine in the Orange Crate is an 417" Olds.

#25 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

well a slight update along with a major diversion, dragster chassis just needs the airbrush and pretty much everything else is ready to be assembled when that is done, but the major news is the totally irreverent tow car: a Nissan Cube, eventually towing a trailer I will scratchbash from the revell midget trailer. the Nissan has numerous Mooneyes design cues, mostly from the full size moon disk covers on the wheels, decal graphics from the Mooneyes VW van, and a Mooneyes motif interior with classic Moon steering wheel and yellow stripe pattern mimicking the pattern used on the Mooneyes dragster it will be towing.

Very nice Nissan kit, well proportioned and engineered, zero problems during assembly, though some things were corrected like the seats had no backs and the headrests were removed, seats drilled, and aluminum rod used headrest posts. curbside model of course, and the chassis itself is quite simple but very detailed...but all I did was paint the base pan flat black, then the 4 or 5 main parts to attach I shot with some metallic black and just a touch of color here and there, quick and easy.

I also lowered the front suspension by cutting the shock towers and making my own with the wheel hub at least 4" scale higher on the tube. used the kit wheels for the front with the spun aluminum moon disks, while I found some Cadillac looking big wheels (actually used the smaller front ones) and wider tires and put them in the rear (totally ignoring the fact it is a FWD vehicle)...this gives it a pretty much in the weeds stance in the front but a bit higher in the rear. also built a twin metal tailpipe to stick out from under the chassis but not shown in the pics...

still to do: just tonite polished down the orange peel a bit on the Testors Daytona Yellow Lacquer and next I will decal and clear it, then paint the body interior black and call it pretty much done...then on to the trailer and of course finishing up the dragster!

svsf.jpg

5vus.jpg

2l9v.jpg

hey! too bad I did not notice this before I painted the body! I knew the rear of the Cube reminded me of something but I thought it was a Roth car...turns out the Lil Coffin is much more true to what Nissan came up with. almost exact width too.

k6n2.jpg

simple but effective chassis detail:

u8e9.jpg

dashboard with vintage Moon steering wheel:

vhea.jpg

designer treatment of the interior, Dean Moon would be proud:

4ong.jpg

Peeking at the dragster frame through unique rear window design of Cube:

2l9v.jpg

oq8h.jpg

finally a shot of interior in place inside body...interior of body with be black to match interior tub:

o04n.jpg

sorry for the small and possibly messed up photos, I don't know what imageshack did but I am not happy...

one love

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 26 November 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#26 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

(wow what a struggle it is to post this stuff! I don't know what the deal is here but nothing goes where I put it and everything I see in the preview window is all screwed up)

here is a Christmas eve update, tow vehicle done, Fujimi Nissan Cube with Parts by Parks spun aluminum wheel disks, Mooneyes interior and some other additions. made twin exhaust pipes from polished aluminum tubing. still need to tighten up gap between front bumper and body on the left side (some superglue inside the fender well will take care of that) and also paint front side marker lights with some clear amber, plus add a trailer hitch for the dragster trailer, but essentially its done. I also wish I had used that technique where you ink in the panel lines before painting but I forgot!

also am going to add a trailer hitch and modify the trailer that comes with the revell midget kits to fit the dragster!

1cu2.jpg3pwf.jpg

9ao0.jpg

2y0d.jpg

nvd6.jpg

Edited by jbwelda, 24 December 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#27 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

here is a slight update on the rail itself: pieces, body panels, beginning of brake linkage under cowl. note the little brackets I made, they will actually be rotated about 30 degrees downward so the linkage bar is below the first frame rail not above it. also note clutch pedal to be attached to front of transmission case, "vintage" decals applied to body panels and sealed in clear, cowl has been extended about 1/8" backward to cover the instrument panel with overlap as per real car, polished aluminum firewall, disk brakes added to rear wheels again as per real car and upholstery tuck and roll upper pad with rolls oriented vertically and the center two yellow, again as per real car, and seat has had the rolls oriented vertically and yellow again as per real car (kit seat had the pleats running horizontally).

by the way that's the broadspeed mini in the background awaiting chrome foiling and final assembly, an entirely different thread not updated in a while.

thanks for looking and comments encouraged.

g1w9.jpg3m66.jpgf8ws.jpgvokw.jpg

Edited by jbwelda, 24 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#28 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I was hoping to see an update on this cool combo and you didn't disappoint. Nice progress so far. This dragster is on my to-do list.

#29 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

the plan calls for a trailer and I have been vacillating on what to do about that, original thought was to modify one of those revell midget trailers but that doesn't seem practical since I would basically have to rebuild the whole thing. so I happened to remember that the old Revell Mickey Thompson Attempt 1 had a trailer at least in the original issue, and since that vehicle basically uses the same frame as the Mooneyes Dragster, I figured it ought to be close. I have one photo of the Mooneyes team loading the car onto the trailer and this one looks the part pretty well: single axle, simple construction, no frills transport for the rail.

so I picked up an incomplete Attempt 1 on ebay with the trailer intact and when I see it my heart sinks. compound warpage, both front to back and side to side, add in the fenders were warped in a different direction and imagine my consternation! so I put it under weights for a while in hopes it would straighten it but no go. so tonite I decided to cut it apart, reinforce it, and glue it back together in a hopefully flatter state. oh yeah and I need to widen it about 7 mm to accommodate the wide track of the Mooneyes vs the narrowed Attempt 1, but I have to retain the tread pattern width in the rear for the close together slicks.

I first attempted to flatten it out front to rear by supergluing some 1/4" square plastruct along the underside of the driveplates. that worked pretty well, they sat a lot flatter at that point. then I cut the connections between the two driveplates and cleaned them up some. of course I forgot to take a photo of the trailer before I began! I then drew up a template of how I wanted it to be and cut some new connectors, you can see in the photos that the thing is fairly level now, I'm going to let it sit overnight and contemplate it a bit before gluing it together tomorrow. ultimately it will be painted yellow to match the dragster and tow car, and some other running gear will be added as well and of course some Mooneyes decals.

1pvn.jpg

5m24.jpg

eb0u.jpg

meanwhile, the chassis continues to be refined: added some under cowl detail like brake and clutch pedals, brake master cylinder, hand brake linkage and handle, tachometer and wiring, hot switch, kill switch and wiring and ready to set up the steering box.

g62c.jpg

mjkc.jpg

comments, suggestions and criticisms always welcomed! thanks again for looking! 

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 27 January 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#30 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

I know it irrelevant now but the Revell motor you were trying to originally use has the upper halves of the block on backwards. These motors actually build up pretty nice if you spend the time to square everything up first then glue em together. Also, you mentioned a bar missing in the original, if you look closer the seat fabric actually wraps around that "missing" bar. (If I am thinking of the bar you are talking about) Question on the cube though, why do the cube yet the original mooneyes car? Originally the tow vehicle was a 60(?) Ford. (Just food for thought since your spending the time to make the dragster as close to original as possible) Nice job thusfar btw.

#31 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Mooneyes is owned by a Japanese firm and the original (as well as at least one repro) mooneyes dragster is owned by that company. the original mooneyes dragster is currently undergoing a restoration in Los Angeles and will then either be returned to the Don Garlits museum in Florida or shipped to Japan for display. so what I am presenting basically is the restored mooneyes dragster drawn by a modern Japanese tow car, just as might actually be in the current era. everyone has a 60 Ford tow car...I sort of like different, especially if I can rationalize it.

and no I don't think the second hoop is hidden by the upholstery...photos I have are pretty clear on that and the second bar hoop I am talking about is plainly visible in photos of the reproduction...its a stretched frame vs the original.

also I don't believe the top portion of the motor is on backwards...there are reasons I don't think this is so though I cannot recall right off hand what they are. what is wrong is I did not align the fronts of the top portion with the front of the lower portion and it wasn't clear (to me) that they should align until after I was done cementing them. I personally find that revell motor lacking in more ways than poor fit but after building one I am sure the second I did would be much better. its just that after I checked out the AMT version the Revell one just sort of faded into the background for me.  (edit: just looked at an unbuilt parts pack chevy motor and it appears you may be right about the top part of the motor as it does kinda look like it might fit better the other way around. oh well its done now and not being used but thanks for the tip, might make it work better next time I think of using the PP version)

many thanks for the comments and for looking!

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 28 January 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#32 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

You wouldn't miss that going down the freeway

#33 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:06 AM

Man that is killer! Can't wait to see more.

#34 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

Very cool looking so far...Will be a neet set up when your done

#35 Skip

Skip

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Ragsdale

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

JB,

Did you "enhance" the welds on the cowl bars. Looks like the joints on the cowl bars where they meet the top rails have the weld quality of the early '60's before MIG and TIG were really common. They would have either been GMAW or GTAW for chrome molly tubing so the weld beads would be pretty noticeable. (Sorry if I got a bit technical,,, AWS Level 3 certified weld inspector pops out every once in a while.)

Hmm, maybe some of our glue joints on our old dragster frames are just a bit too clean? Just leaving a really thin CA glue fillet might just look like the real thing, especially if it was tooled a little bit with a sharp dental pick or needle just before it set up.

#36 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

Great Progress William!

Real Nice Detailing... B)

#37 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Skip, I like the way you think! Actually its more a matter of what my eyes can see and my hands can do...and some of the worst offenders are going to be covered by side panels, firewall, cowl etc.

thanks for looking and the kind comments! sorry it takes me so long to get through one of these project but other stuff always seems to pop up, but if I am nothing else, I am persistent.

by the way, a question on a point of order, I just got moved from the workbench section to the drag racing section. actually this is going to be a diorama, but the question is, when this is finished and I post the finished set in the Under Glass section, is it going to get moved from there as well?

another point of possible interest, when this is completed I mean it to mimic the following photo, with the figures being replaced by figures of Japanese people in roughly the same poses as the original photo of the American racing team of old. don't know just yet what exactly to do about the figures, that's a bit beyond my capabilities, but that's what I have in my minds eye, such as it is.

y9ia.jpg

jb

#38 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

actually this is going to be a diorama, but the question is, when this is finished and I post the finished set in the Under Glass section, is it going to get moved from there as well?

No, it should be posted in the Model Cars: Under Glass section when completed: "Post your finished (pau) model cars here..."

If becomes a diorama before it's completed, it should/will be moved to the Diorama section.

#39 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

thanks casey...clear as mud

jb

#40 DrKerry

DrKerry