Revell Mooneyes Dragster Race Team (eventually)

• You cannot reply to this topic
76 replies to this topic

#41 Terminator-Fox

Terminator-Fox

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Smiley

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Awesome work. Love the dragster.

On another note I posted a drag Mustang I finished in Under Glass and it got moved here to the drag racing section...

Edited by Terminator-Fox, 31 January 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#42 geetee66

geetee66

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Awesome

This has been like reading a good magazine article, or better still, like listening-in on a very knowledgeable discussion at a model club.

(I imagine, anyway. I don't think there are model clubs for cars over here. People seem to just have a fixation with military stuff...)

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks

#43 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

couple of updates to report, trailer is well underway, moon disks on big wide whitewall tires, single axle, widened from the original issue like I might have already mentioned. most of the warpage is gone but still is a little bit wavy on the actual driveramps. hopefully the rail will sit with all four on the floor. I also flipped the front V part to make the hitch lower, and bought a Reese style hitch from Scenes Unlimited for the Nissan tow vehicle. This hitch is super super nice...its soaking in some bleech white or I would take a picture, but it is very nicely detailed and is going to look great hooked to the trailer and sitting up underneath the back of the Cube. I also dolled up some jerry cans from the spares box and a fire extinguisher, the jerry cans will sit over the sink holes you see forward of the trailer fenders.

17q0.jpg

87mh.jpg

and speaking of the Cube, there was a paint malfunction happening on the roof, kind of hard to see but once you see it, that sort of thing, so I have been thinking of what I could do up there to obscure or cover it up. big huge mooneyes decal? Ehhh... but then I thought of maybe a roof rack or one of those enclosed storage compartments that sit on the roof. just so happens I remember I have one of them somewhere in some Japanese kit, if I recall it came with an enclosed storage compartment, a roof rack, and a Trek mountain bike. so I started digging around and couldn't find it! still has to be around here somewhere but meanwhile I found an old Imai Rally VW Beetle that I had picked up somewhere and lo and behold what was there but a serviceable, nicely detailed, two piece roof rack. closer examination revealed that it sat just a bit high, but fit the roof of the Cube perfectly whether place lengthwise or widthwise. It really did sit very high though so I grabbed some thin tape and laid it on each leg so I would cut at least somewhere in the area of level, took a stiff drink, and cut away. in my usual enthusiasm I took photos of the rack on roof sitting way up too high, but failed to follow up with a photo of the trimmed rack in place to see the difference but I did manage to take a pic on my table. I have it sitting with the floor bars sitting side to side but it looks much better with them front to back, and I think that's how I will do it.

kfss.jpg

q7yz.jpg

81w5.jpg

thanks again for watching!

jb

#44 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

Awesome update jb. I agree on the floor supports running parallel to the Cube.

#45 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

Kool stuff!!!

#46 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

I love messing around...so I thought I might see how this will look when its all put together:

o8o6.jpg

cr5p.jpg

vbkb.jpg

and heres a final one showing some of the detail in the dragster frame:

3ovo.jpg

everything is posed, and theres more to the trailer, but this was nice to see how things fit together. the front tires and wheels wont be used, ive got the Reps and Mins photoetch motorcycle wheels for those (which are a project all in themselves) and I may use a narrower axle as it appears I could have done with widening the trailer another couple mm or so. I also got some stuff for the rack (which I think I will cut down another eighth inch or so still and make some feet for) and a little resin wagon for a pit wagon. basically I am in the process of trying to cover for the fact that this motor I have here has two injectors on top and the real Mooneyes had one with four...

thanks again!

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 15 February 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#47 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

eh...not gonna use that roof rack, the top part of it sits too high so instead of further wrecking it I think it will just go back into the donor kit.

jb

#48 Scott Colmer

Scott Colmer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

WOW! That is a very cool set up. I really like your attention detail on the dragster. Looking forward to seeing this one put together.

Scott

#49 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

(Ahem...) OK back to the dragster.

rikf.jpg

tjpq.jpg

jb

#50 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I had been planning on using the front cycle wheels and tires from the tony nancy double kit, but then it was brought to my attention that Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland made a kool set of photoetched wheels for the front of dragsters, so I ordered some. they turned out to be pretty challenging for me, in fact I basically botched them during assembly, but they still don't look too bad, need some touch up and a not-too-close vantage point, but overall they look ok. I might end up ordering some more and trying again but the problem will remain getting glue down into the areas that need it as you sandwich the wheel together (made up of outer rim, outer PE spokes, hub, inner PE spokes and inner rim, with brass rod going through a kool building jig to align the whole thing) without gluing the whole mess to the jig itself. I found that rather easier to say than to do, so as I say just this side of usable...beside the chrome moosh of the Nancy ones though they look positively delicate:

1xeg.jpg

heres the basic stance I want out of the front axle and wheels:

xj3r.jpg

got a big storm or two moving in so maybe I will get some real quality time with this and get closer to getting it on the trailer!

jb

#51 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

This is one heck of a build. And totally cool. It is sure looking nice. Keep up the great work on this.

#52 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

thank you Chris.

today I have been fiddling with the seat and head pad, here is everything held together with white glue and drying up. can see some more frame details too.

thanks again for looking!

ozhd.jpg

9smb.jpg

2lsk.jpg

#53 RatRod

RatRod

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Full Name:John Bissinger

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Love this project Bill!

#54 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

a quick update as things are actually approaching closure, interior detailing and doohickey adding is done, cowl has been relieved to allow steering gear shaft to follow correct path, body panels are about ready to be fitted (that's why one of the disk brakes is pulled out away from the frame, clearance to fit the panel). meanwhile the wheels have been white glued to the front axle which is delicate enough to kind of worry me, but we will see how it goes...that's why I used white glue.

heres some pics showing the cowl fitted to the frame, the polished firewall in place, and some other details...thanks again for looking!

edit to add: oh forgot to mention, the AMT headers turned out to be too long! the interfered with the slicks big time! so I had a frustrating session thinking I could cut them down but that just turned into a dyslexic mess (in the process ruining one perfectly fine, delicately drilled, header...grrrr). instead I looked again at the headers on my display but not good enough buildup of the chevy motor, and sure enough they looked like they would work so I found a couple more parts packs 283s and built up a new set of revell headers. they are not without problems: one big old ejector pin mark on top of one pipe, but I am kinda tired of messing with them. but they fit and they look good, it was just one of those last minute things that I shoulda seen coming...gotcha.

cerb.jpg

l3fq.jpg

bzfz.jpg

h063.jpg

thanks again!

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 15 March 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#55 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

This is progressing nicely. Very well done. Glad you had an extra Parts pack for the headers.

#56 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

slowly rocking on:

nuljm.jpg

p29n.jpg

mutw.jpg

in other news, decided I could not live with the fit of the cowl to the lower body pieces, which was the straw that broke the camels back on redoing it because it could also use to be moved forward a smidgen (approx. 1/32" or so) and also I used the original "vintage" decals on the cowl and they are yellowed and not optimum and meanwhile I sourced some perfect repros I can use on the V2 cowl. another factor is evidently Dean Moon did not like the mooneyes logo reversed and insisted on only the left looking eyes were proper. and indeed in photos I have of the original the eyes on either side of the cowl are facing the same direction...that means on the left side they face forward but on the right side they face backward. Revell's original decal sheet is incorrect though most of us would prefer the look of symmetrical facing logo on each side. but the new decal sheet has 10 (!) sets of the decals so theres more than enuff for this.

so a new cowl is currently being constructed from a junk/parted Attempt 1 kit I have which has the same frame and cowl panels. as you can see i have added about 1/32" to the width which fits both sides perfectly, should be a worthwhile project and actually the original doesnt fit that bad if you split the difference, but what with the other stuff its worth it to redo.

anyhoo heres a couple pics of what I mean...poor fit and new vs old...oh yeah and that lip I added to both is to make a proper overhang over the instrument panel: the stock piece is too short to even span the space between the firewall and the inst panel. on this one though I am cutting it back a bit from previously, that combined with the planned forward movement ought to make the overhang appear about right on to the photos I have.

iket.jpg

8uiy.jpg

thanks again for looking, comments criticisms suggestions always cheerfully considered!

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 28 March 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#57 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Man, this is looking great!

Just a quick word on the cowl - when I built mine, I gave up trying to make the plastic one fit and made one from brass. I had little to no experience using brass in this way, but this was a good part to learn with. 

#58 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

thanks steve; on the cowl, if this one doesn't work out, I was thinking of forming it from aluminum or, now that you bring it up, brass. but looks to me like this cowl will fit and other than those nasty sink marks that I need to fill smooth, is coming along pretty nicely. my next big challenge is making the drag link as the one I had, from revell parts pack, is too short to reach the front axle and too short to hang down beneath the header on that side. its always something!

jb

#59 RatRod

RatRod

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Full Name:John Bissinger

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

This is really looking great Bill!!! I like the way you reversed the rear wheels, I was looking at them awhile back thinking the same thing..... :unsure:  You should add some lug nut detail with Pro Tech's smallest AN fittings.....just sayin'. At any rate, a very beautiful build!!! I have all the stuff packed in a box here to do one for ME, someday.

#60 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Reversed the rear wheels? Don't know what you mean...but yes they could use some lug nuts, though I think the original might have just had one big nut in the center.

edit: just checked my ref pics and sure enough, 5 lugs per wheel. I have some resin lug nuts around, looks like they need to go deh.

btw the wheels came from the tony nancy 22jr kit...they looked close to the pics I have so I used em.

edit #2: now that I think about it I believe I sourced the wheels from a revell double car kit, the fumin fiat and thunder charger, so they quite might be exactly the same included in the similar mooneyes dragster double kit.

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 29 March 2014 - 11:52 AM.