#161 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

P.S. For those concerned about the lack of a fuel pump, an excellent source for early HIlborn pumps is Altered States Models ( http://www.alteredstatesmodels.com/ ). I always keep a small bag of them in my stash for my drag subjects.

Hilborn%20Pump.jpg

Thanks for the link, Bernard! I have a couple of builds that are stalled because of the lacking Hilborn Fuel Pump. And if a Pack of 6 is $5.00, I can't complain about the price, either.

Has anyone tried to send that Order Form via E-Mail to them? I'm not too crazy about shipping a paper from Finland to the guys....

#162 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

....Has anyone tried to send that Order Form via E-Mail to them? I'm not too crazy about shipping a paper from Finland to the guys....

Nico, e-mail him your order and he will bill you via PayPal. That's how I do it.

Edited by Bernard Kron, 12 January 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#163 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

Alright, thanks Bernard. I'll do just that. :)

Now I can finally get back to my Fiat 500 Altered and G/Gas '41 Plymouth.

Edited by W-409, 12 January 2014 - 03:22 AM.

#164 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Your choice  IMG_0500.jpg

#165 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

I assembled my Slingster frame last night (box front, not pinched). When I build my second with the pinched rails I might see if the bellypan pieces can be used as a jig. Maybe leave the mounting posts on the rails and hopefully the pans will keep everything true. Without them last night, it was a little dicey getting everything squared up. I think I got it about 97% square.

Also, I'm thinking of mounting the second spring perch atop the first, then removing the bottom-most tab, effectively dropping the front end in the weeds about four scale inches.

Fun kit!

#166 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

Anyone seen these in the Phoenix area ? :o

#167 Karl LaFong

Karl LaFong

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Keith Jones

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

Yup - using the belly pans when gluing the frame will result in a squared frame - MUCH easier than the AMT Double Dragster or Revell Tony Nancy double dragsters!

#168 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Anyone seen this kit on the shelves anywhere on the  west coast ? My local hobby shop says his distributor just can't get any.   :huh: ?

#169 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

My hobby shop here in Joliet IL. got their second shipment in last week so my second one came home with me. His first shipment was the "Preferred" deal.

#170 samdiego

samdiego

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Tate

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I guess I wasn't paying attention because it was a pantsloading moment when I caught sight of the vintage end panel art on the shelf at the LHS. I can't believe they saw fit to retool this gem in proper scale. I would have been just as happy with the orig but this is awsome. I'll be buying more, also. Mine was $19.95 at Discount Hobby

in San Diego. Great price, comparatively.

#171 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

I picked one up at my LHS and it was $26.95 "out the door", but I was in the neighborhood anyway. My FAVE hobby shop is selling them like "hotcakes" according to a friend of mine who works there. However that hobby shop is 'bout 50 miles for me, one way, so I don't get there too often.

#172 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

still none in Phoenix  :unsure:

#173 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

the internet is a big place, I got one delivered for under 25$

jb

#174 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

Monogram Slingster Dragster. Just got mine today. I was inspired to get the kit by reading this forum and the fun I've been having building AMT's Double Dragster kit.

Overall I like what I found when I opened the box. Very nicely done. Great instructions. I even like the wire wheels. They look OK to me. What I do have mixed feelings about is the frame. It maybe it's fairly accurate for looks in scale. But, it's kind of a fiddly to assemble. Here I find the 50 year old AMT kit much easier to work with. I decided I needed to do some sub assembly before painting. What a pain to get those cross members to line up. Does anybody out there have any tips on how to make this frame easier to assemble?

One other minor complaint. I wish they'd given a couple of extra parts to complete the second unused engine. Things like having more than one magneto. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have couple extra parts like that to display the extra engine.

The rest of the kit looks great. I can see few, if any other problems in assembling this kit. I love the Bantam body. It will make a nice and different style of dragster from the two cars I'm building from the AMT kit.

#175 Karl LaFong

Karl LaFong

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Keith Jones

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Robert,

If you use the belly pans for lining up the frame halves, you shouldn't have any problems.  I've found that if you paint all the frame parts while they are on the trees, then touching up where they attached, you'll still have a neat assembly.  Generally, the touched up areas are in places where they can't be seen after assembly.

You can scratch build a magneto from aluminum tubing and plastic rod - it'll actually look better than the kit magneto!

#176 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

still none in Phoenix  :unsure:

Andy's got a bunch in. i'm good. :D boy those things are small. Guess it's the anticipation with a dose of nostalgia thrown in. Looks smaller than the AMT Double Dragster. I'll have to do a comparo.  DSCF0095.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 22 March 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#177 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

Greg, I'm confused by the photo in your last posting. The model in the photo looks to me to be one of AMT's Double Dragsters. And not the Monogram Slingster. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nicely done model. I especially like the blower set up. But, the frame looks like AMT's Double Dragster, and the rear wheels Monogram's Slingster. What is it? And where did the cool blower setup come from?

R. Scott

Edited by unclescott58, 08 September 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#178 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

It is from the AMT DD original RED kit just to give a feel for how small the new Slingster kit looks to me.

The wheels and tires are from the" L'll Coffin" kit similar to the original "Sizzler" wheel / tire combo. Allen Rabb of "Ma's Resin" ( http://public.fotki.com/cnaind/   )      also carry's the wheel / tire set.

The double blower set up is from one of the AMT '53 Studebaker kits. The AMT "Sock It To Me" kit has something similar.$_35.JPG

AMT%20T262-225%2053Stude.JPG 006.131142732_std.JPG1000x1000.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 24 March 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#179 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

Thanks again Greg. I have the old Stude kit. I forgot about that blower setup. Going to have to raid my stash for that one.

Uncle Scott

Edited by unclescott58, 24 March 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#180 oldnslow

oldnslow

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Lightsey

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

Here I am as usual late to the party. I opened up a couple of the slingsters for our club build and found the chrome has a lot of flash and looks like sand under it, the valve covers for the small block has little specks in the fins, the hemi valve covers aren't completely chromed and the tires and canopy are missing from the second kit. Guess I'll be contacting Revell for some replacement parts.

Did anyone else have a problem with bad chrome?

Robert