#1 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • Full Name:Chris White

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

for a while, I saw a models disappearing from the department store shelves. The LHS where disappearing, and the only real source was E"vil"-Bay to supply model kits. But, recently Micheals, in some of your threads, I have seen Walmart, and even more recently a new LHS has just opened in Central Toronto. Sunward Hobbies www.sunwardhobbies.ca . Could it be that model hobby is beginning to thrive again. What's your opinion?

#2 slowlylearning

slowlylearning

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Kasey Goodman

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

When I started building (I live in Australia) model kits were in most larger stores like K-mart and similar shops, and cost around the 15 to 30 dollar mark. These days I can only find model kits in chain toy stores, and they are priced anywhere from 40 to one case where a Mobius Hudson Hornet was 80 dollars. My LHS has always had kits, but its the only hobby shop I know if in my area. Id say whats killing the model building hobby here in Australia is the price and accessibility to kits that don't cost 'adult' money.

#3 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:31 AM

It will be turning into a niche market. Mostly older guys, us, and a few young folks. Sad part is that this has to be one of the best times to be in this hobby!

Oh well, time marches on!

#4 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,852 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

I would say that it's slowly shrinking as most of the guys in the hobby are older. While there are younger guys in the hobby as well, it's not like it was in the 60's where plastic kits were flyin' off the hobby shop shelves. Speaking of hobby shops, where are they? The number of shops are shrinking as well.

When the guys that started building back in the 50's & 60's are no longer here or can no longer build anymore, I don't see the younger builders keeping this hobby alive for any length of time.

#5 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Full Name:Adam Cordoza Cortez

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:15 AM

I don't see the younger builders keeping this hobby alive for any length of time.

Thats because no one has developed a model building app yet.

#6 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

Car modeling?  I'd call it "concentrating"...   Fewer modelers, but they're buying more models.  Those that are into it are into in a big way. 

Modeling in general?  Compared to the last 5 years or so, I'd say growing slightly, fueled mainly in the Sci-fi genre, which seems to be going through a bit of a renaissance.  1/32 scale aircraft has also been a major growth area over the last few years.  

The figures from the last industry survey (2011) show the hobby industry shrunk slightly since the previous survey (around 2007 or 2008, IIRC) but the loss was entirely contained within the R/C segment, other areas were flat or grew slightly.  I tend to agree with the figures based on what I encounter in my day-to-day line of work.  

Look, it's not the 1990's anymore, that was the big boom in modeling, maybe even bigger than the 60's boom.  I think we've settled into what the hobby market is meant to be.  The 1990's-early 2000's and the big-box-store era were an unsustainable anomaly, I doubt we'll ever see those days again, and it's a bit unfair to compare to those times.  

Edited by Brett Barrow, 29 August 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#7 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

IT has to be growing with the amout of kits that are coming out. l believe more guys are picking up the hobby. Hobby Lobby has the most kits l have ever seen and big store like Hobby Lobby and the internet has hurt the small hobby shops..

#8 slowlylearning

slowlylearning

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

I don't see the younger builders keeping this hobby alive for any length of time.

We're tryn' our best! lol

#9 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,526 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

In terms of the actual number of people who are actively into model car kits, the hobby is shrinking.

But today, those who are still into it tend to spend more per person than people did in the "good old days" of the hobby.

#10 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

The figures from the last industry survey (2011) show the hobby industry shrunk slightly since the last survey (around 2007 or 2008, IIRC) but the loss was entirely contained within the R/C segment, other areas were flat or grew slightly.  I tend to agree with the figures based on what I encounter in my day-to-day line of work.  

If this is in fact accurate, when one considers the state of the American economy during the period, it would seem that even in the face of declining disposable-income and relatively high unemployment, the hobby industry has more resilience than one would at first think.

The decline in bigger-ticket R/C modeling could be a direct reflection of the health of the economy in general, or simply a fluctuation in 'trending'.

In general, I'd say that, again, given the recent economic environment, IF most segments of the hobby were "flat" or "grew slightly", that COULD be a good sign for the future. It COULD be a sign that as the economy picks up, the hobby industry will pick up commensurately. On the other hand, it COULD mean that more cash-intensive forms of entertainment are being replaced by modeling, which might imply there COULD be a decline as the economy improves, and people have more $$ to spend on other things.

Thus, the relative worthlessness of statistics with insufficient context to interpret them in.

#11 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,526 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

The figures from the last industry survey (2011) show the hobby industry shrunk slightly since the last survey (around 2007 or 2008, IIRC) but the loss was entirely contained within the R/C segment, other areas were flat or grew slightly.  I tend to agree with the figures based on what I encounter in my day-to-day line of work.  

What figures are those? What type of survey? Taken by whom, consumers or industry "insiders?" What questions were asked? It's possible that total revenue in the industry rose slightly while actual consumer numbers dropped, due to rising prices of products.

We would need to see a lot more specifics to really know whether the industry is growing or shrinking. And besides, the question isn't if the industry overall is growing, I think the OP was asking whether car modeling (which is only a relatively small segment of the overall hobby industry) is growing.

#12 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,526 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

If this is in fact accurate, when one considers the state of the American economy during the period, it would seem that even in the face of declining disposable-income and relatively high unemployment, the hobby industry has more resilience than one would at first think.

Keep in mind that a large part of today's active car modelers are retired guys. Plenty of disposable income, and unemployment figures do not apply.

#13 slowlylearning

slowlylearning

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Outside of the forums, I don't know anyone besides myself that builds model cars. I've tried getting my mates into model building, but all they see is the giant mess on my model-desk :P

Ways to expand the hobby (in Australia anyway) would be to get model cars more exposure, for example in magazines. A popular modified car magazine here once had an article on model building, in one issue, once. Another Aussie magazine has a recurring double page article for kit reviews etc.

The younger generations (mine included,) seem to more interested in newer cars, imports and mini-trucks for the most part, instead of hot rods and customs. With many exceptions of course. But I'll try to do my part in keeping the 'old iron' spirit alive :P

#14 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

Keep in mind that a large part of today's active car modelers are retired guys. Plenty of disposable income, and unemployment figures do not apply.

That's possibly a very valid point. In the ACME club I belong to, the mix is about 50-50 retired and middle-aged working guys. There are also a few younger guys who will be good earners for a long time to come, and more are trickling in.

It's also good to remember that there are a lot of retired folks on fixed incomes with little disposable income who choose to spend what they have on this hobby.

Without detailed demographic information to analyze, it's hard to make any really worthwhile general statements.

#15 dmk

dmk

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but my collection sure is growing.  :)

As long as I can buy paint and glue, I'm set for life.

#16 dmk

dmk

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Outside of the forums, I don't know anyone besides myself that builds model cars. I've tried getting my mates into model building, but all they see is the giant mess on my model-desk :P

I can't even find anyone into cars anymore, much less model cars.  :(

#17 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

The decline in bigger-ticket R/C modeling could be a direct reflection of the health of the economy in general, or simply a fluctuation in 'trending'.

In general, I'd say that, again, given the recent economic environment, IF most segments of the hobby were "flat" or "grew slightly", that COULD be a good sign for the future. It COULD be a sign that as the economy picks up, the hobby industry will pick up commensurately. On the other hand, it COULD mean that more cash-intensive forms of entertainment are being replaced by modeling, which might imply there COULD be a decline as the economy improves, and people have more $$ to spend on other things.

Thus, the relative worthlessness of statistics with insufficient context to interpret them in.

I wouldn't call modeling recession-proof, but it is definitely recession-resistant.  There are some segments in the hobby business that run almost counter to the economy. Crafts, for example, seem to pick up during economic downturns as people spend more time at home due to layoffs or lack of work.  Same thing happens with modeling (but not to the same extent as crafting), especially car modeling, folks are looking for something to do with their free time and will often take up a hobby.  I've found that free time is usually a bigger factor than money when it comes to folks taking up a hobby.   

#18 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

...Ways to expand the hobby (in Australia anyway) would be to get model cars more exposure, for example in magazines. A popular modified car magazine here once had an article on model building, in one issue, once. Another Aussie magazine has a recurring double page article for kit reviews etc....

When Revell and AMT entered the plastic kit market, the 1:1 hot-rod mags pushed the hobby in print as a way to build, in scale, what enthusiasts maybe didn't have the resources to build in 1:1, or as a means to build a MODEL of a proposed 1:1 project before committing big-bucks to something full-scale, and avoiding SOME expensive pitfalls.

Recently I've seen a smattering of interest and coverage in the 1:1 mags, but more would surely be better.

#19 slowlylearning

slowlylearning

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

I can't even find anyone into cars anymore, much less model cars.  :(

Thats why places like this are so great! :D

When Revell and AMT entered the plastic kit market, the 1:1 hot-rod mags pushed the hobby in print as a way to build, in scale, what enthusiasts maybe didn't have the resources to build in 1:1, or as a means to build a MODEL of a proposed 1:1 project before committing big-bucks to something full-scale, and avoiding SOME expensive pitfalls.

Recently I've seen a smattering of interest and coverage in the 1:1 mags, but more would surely be better.

Thats really interesting :D It would be fantastic to see model car manufacturers taking up ad-space in current 1:1 car magazines, but they'd have to content with the advertisements pertaining the the 1:1 hobby of car-building I suppose. Seeing as most model car builders are also 1:1 car enthusiasts, or started out as 1:1 enthusiasts, (for the most part) it would be perfect.

#20 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:12 AM

What figures are those? What type of survey? Taken by whom, consumers or industry "insiders?" What questions were asked?

In the back room of the warehouse, where all of the model moguls meet. Pure speculation.

Look around at any "recent" gathering of modelers, i.e. shows, swap meets and see how crowed it is, young people too.

Like Dave said, "My collection is growing" :lol:

As to what's popular, look at the show / contest tables, you'll get a good idea what's popular today.