#2 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

What is the most cost effective product to use to simulate flocking ?  Being on Social Security Disability Income I need to save a penny here or there anywhere I can ha ha.  Is there another product like maybe glitter or something else along those lines that may be cheaper then persay the actual "Flocking"?  Thanks in advance for any info.

#3 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

What is the most cost effective product to use to simulate flocking ?  Being on Social Security Disability Income I need to save a penny here or there anywhere I can ha ha.  Is there another product like maybe glitter or something else along those lines that may be cheaper then persay the actual "Flocking"?  Thanks in advance for any info.

A lot of guys will tell you embossing powder is good, but I don't like the grainy, floor mat texture of it. I'm working with disability as well. If you need a particular color I may be able to help you out. P.M. me.

Excellent vid Tom, thanks for posting.

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 09 September 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#4 PappyD340

PappyD340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Dailey

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for posting Tom, great video!! :D 

#5 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

You can buy flocking at crafts stores like Micheals, or A.C. Moore for much cheaper than the little tubes at the LHS. The differences in actual velour flocking and embossing powder give you options IMO depepnding on what type of carpet you are trying to replicate.

#6 ERIK88

ERIK88

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Full Name:erik rodriguez

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

way cheaper, and some say its more up to scale than flocking.

Attached Files

#7 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Garry Robinson

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

I'm experimenting using wood putty.  Ok, I've never done any flocking as of yet and I'm cheap. I'm not willing to buy flocking if I'm not good at applying it, so I've come up with an alternative solution... err maybe.  I've taken some wood putty and mixed in some paint and got it to the color I want. then I spread it out on a flat sheet of plastic or anything smooth and let it dry.  Once dry, I scrape it up and crumble/smash/etc...  it in to fine powder. then I have a fine powder in the color I want.   I haven't compared it to actual flocking but, I think it could have some use...

#8 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,677 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:17 AM

I use baking soda for flocking. It works the same and has a much better scale appearance IMO. After it's dry, I spray a coat of acrylic lacquer primer over it (Plasti Kote) to seal it and then spray my color over it (also an acrylic lacquer). Enamel paint won't work over baking soda. The baking soda will absorb enamel over time and change the color as well as show white specks. I learned that lesson the hard way. :angry:

#9 scalenut

scalenut

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Hobbs

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

ebay seller "katevo"

#10 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

In which section of Michaels does one find flocking? I've looked through my local store many times and can't seem to find any...

#11 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

In which section of Michaels does one find flocking? I've looked through my local store many times and can't seem to find any...

over by the scrap booking supply's and stamp pads.

#12 takamine0427

takamine0427

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Full Name:Michael King

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

I don't typially see flocking at Mchaels (at least in the area where I live)...most of it is embossing powder. Joann's used to carry flocking but put it all on clearance. I bought everything they had, but only time will tell whether I will ever use some of the colors. Ebay has quite a bit of flocking options but I have had a hard time trying to find a "tan" that I like.