Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Full Name:Kostas Parchas

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

JT,

Your Mercedes Actros looks just fine, it is superb and the trailer so.

I would like to have no fruits but the girl, lol LOL!!!

Keep it coming,

Kostas.

#23 Kostas Parchas

Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Nice work on the Actros and trailer, JT, I built one of these a few years ago and I have noticed that you have a gap between the cab door and the front bumper as well as me. Apart from that, a beautiful job!!

Thanks, Man.....I wasn't sure, either, but I think this is correct....I have a pic, but the part that makes the gap look so prominent is painted the same color as the truck....Something I probably should have researched in the first place, but, you know how it is..I see some other stuff that I missed, too.....Here's a pic of one of the era's MB's, but it's not the exact same truck, so....I really don't know....

MBActrosReferencePic_zps93f7ccd8.jpg

Guys,

The kit is the first generation of Mercedes-Benz Actros introdused back in 1997 and won the Truck of the year award the same year.

There where many options for the cab such as daycab, medium, long distance, Megaspace etc.

The kit is the Megaspace cab. The yellow truck JT posted is the long distance cab. Both cabs belong to the same era, both have raised roof, two beds same dashboard and many other parts. We can easyly say that the cab cell is the same but there is a big diference. The Megaspace cab is sitting higher on the chassis than the long distance cab. To make it clear the long distance cab has the big tube on the floor to make clearance for the engine components, but the Megaspace sitting higher has a flat cab floor. That makes a lot of free room in the cab for driver and passenger, its more comfortable and has a smooth ride.

Edit: One of the parts that can really tell you the cab is the front bumper. The front bumper for the Megaspace cab is unique (used only for this cab) and it has 1 lower set of head lights and 1 upper set of possition lights and turn signals and it is clearly higher than the long distace cab bumper.

So for the Megaspace cab, the gap between the lower part of the door -witch also covers the third step- and the bumper is normal to make clearance for the cab to tilt.

Hope that helps.

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas Parchas, 08 September 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#24 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thank you, Kostas....I appreciate the information on this....Oddly, even with the internet, I haven't been able to find much on this truck...And I haven't seen any here in Texas......So, I'm glad that SOMEBODY knows.....'Cause I was sure scratchin' my head on this one.....Thanks, again....And I could use some more pictures of this thing, too, as I have about 5 more of these that I haven't built, yet..... :D

Edited by kilrathy10, 08 September 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#25 Old Albion

Old Albion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Nice work!  

#26 Kostas Parchas

Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thank you, Kostas....I appreciate the information on this....Oddly, even with the internet, I haven't been able to find much on this truck...And I haven't seen any here in Texas......So, I'm glad that SOMEBODY knows.....'Cause I was sure scratchin' my head on this one.....Thanks, again....And I could use some more pictures of this thing, too, as I have about 5 more of these that I haven't built, yet..... :D

JT, 

The Mercedes-Benz Actros kit that Italeri did is a very nice kit, it comes together it self and especialy for this kit, I could say that it is 100% acurate.

There is only one tricky step about possitioning the front axle, many builders doing this wrong and the truck is sitting higher in the front than it should be.

A few years ago Italeri did the MK2 (facelift) version #3824, later did the Black Edition #3841 and this year did the MK3 (also facelift), of the megaspace cab, witch all are also nice kits but no acurate due to the fact that Italeri probably was downsising the costs, and didn't update the tools by adding all the new components that new emision regulations added to the trucks (add blue tank, catalysators, filters etc.).

The same luck had all the facelift kits Italeri did of European trucks (Scanias, volvos, Dafs, Mans) the last 10 years. At least the all new Iveco Stralis they did is 100% acurate model, maybe they changed their minds and they heard our opinions.

I wish they do a US tractor soon.

Kostas.

#27 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

JT, 

The Mercedes-Benz Actros kit that Italeri did is a very nice kit, it comes together it self and especialy for this kit, I could say that it is 100% acurate.

There is only one tricky step about possitioning the front axle, many builders doing this wrong and the truck is sitting higher in the front than it should be.

A few years ago Italeri did the MK2 (facelift) version #3824, later did the Black Edition #3841 and this year did the MK3 (also facelift), of the megaspace cab, witch all are also nice kits but no acurate due to the fact that Italeri probably was downsising the costs, and didn't update the tools by adding all the new components that new emision regulations added to the trucks (add blue tank, catalysators, filters etc.).

The same luck had all the facelift kits Italeri did of European trucks (Scanias, volvos, Dafs, Mans) the last 10 years. At least the all new Iveco Stralis they did is 100% acurate model, maybe they changed their minds and they heard our opinions.

I wish they do a US tractor soon.

Kostas.

Thanks, Kostas....I appreciate all the info.....I saw that Iveco kit.....Man, I want one of those.....I'm still waiting for the online sites to stock a few.....You're right about the other MB kits....I built one of those, too and, as a matter of fact, built this one using the instructions from the MK2.....Very similar kits.....Even the part numbers were mostly the same.....And, I'm hoping for a new US kit, too....Preferably, a new Peterbilt, 386 or something.....

Edited by kilrathy10, 09 September 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#28 Madd Trucker

Madd Trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Ferguson

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

JT the  decal  came  from the  Cool Fruits   Scania and  trailer  kit  .   you  Merc  looks  great and I  have the  same  gap on my   Mercedes.  I have anouther on the  bench   as  a heavy haul    lot of  changes to be made and parts to be made as well .

Edited by Madd Trucker, 02 October 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#29 Heartattaq

Heartattaq

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Derick Blair

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Oh wow, that deal suits the color scheme perfectly. Was gonna say sleep an 01 on the cab, and a big rbel flag on the sides of the trailer to a general Lee rig lol, but that decal does it way more justice.