#1 tbill

tbill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Full Name:tom billings

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

since I haven't built anything in forever, may I ask how you all paint your chassis assemblies? back in the day, i'd paint all parts on the tree, then assemble and touch up. is it feasible, or easier to assemble then paint? and add little paint details after?

also, [thinking way ahead here], what is the best way to do stripes on a truck and trailer so they have a matched continuous line? as I assume the trailer sides would be painted before assembly, or no?

and finally, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot

thanks,

~tom

Edited by tbill, 08 September 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Kostas Parchas

Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Full Name:Kostas Parchas

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

In my opinion it is much easier to assemble as far as you can and then paint. For example, assemble the chassis with all its assemblies and accessories and then paint. Of course chrome parts sush as fuel tanks toolboxes etc, should be fitted later. Then assemble the engine, then the cab.

Don't forget to take your time with your models, its not a race, you doing it for plesure and join.

Remember always test fit, test fit, test fit, then test fit and then glue the parts together.

Kostas.

#3 tbill

tbill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for the welcome, and the info.

Any input on the striping question?

I just got the rest of my trucks and trailers in the mail, and now it's idea/planning time :)

#4 b_lever1

b_lever1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Full Name:bob leverington

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

for the striping do a complete mock up of your unit,mark out where the stripes are to go measure everything and repeat for the other side make sure you use painters tape for easy removal also wash with soap and water sand with 800 grit paper and prime then do your artwork and painting.Just remember as Kostas said take your time and enjoy

#5 tbill

tbill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

thanks, I sorta figured that's how it would go, but thought i'd ask anyway, learning a lot around here.