I'm thinking of starting another community build in which each participant takes a turn working on the project, passes it on to the next person, and so on, until the project is complete.
I've got a new Monogram 1/25 Pro Modeler '70 Ford Torino GT kit I will donate to get the project rolling:
Here's what I'm thinking....
1) Seven people will participate, with each person having the model for slightly less than one month. This should help us finish the project in a year or so. To ensure there are no shipping delays, we'll try to keep this one limited to U.S. members only, but if we can make it work we'll include Canadians, too.
2) The model will be shipped (and the tracking info posted) to the next participant the first business day of each new month via USPS Priority Mail with Tracking. I will send the model in a USPS supplied Priority Mail box, so we should be able re-use the box every time the project is shipped to the next participant. Each participant is responsible for paying the USPS Priority Mail shipping cost and ensuring the package is mailed on the first business day of each month. If you cannot abide by this rule, please don't volunteer to participate.
3) Each person volunteers to work on an area of the car they feel is their strong suit. If you don't have a particular area you feel you are best at, we'll work out a solution. We can decide the breakdown later, but roughly for now:
Basic parts prep -- LokisTyro (Andrew F)
Engine and trans -- freakshow12 (Fred M)
Chassis, suspension, and exhaust -- carlosmtg (Carlos)
Interior -- jeffs396 (Jeff S.)
Body and paintwork -- BKcustoms (Billy K)
Body Bare Metal Foil application, decals, and "glass" installation -- slantasaurus (Ron W.)
Final assembly and finishing touch details --
4) I'd like to keep this build in the mostly stock realm, with maybe a few street machine or drag parts thrown in. No Pro Touring, tube chassis, radical bodywork, multi-color custom paint, etc. for this build. We'll try to keep it simple and straightforward to keep the project moving along, and also to ensure no one participant ends up with too much work on their plate. Aftermarket wheels and tires, a tunnel ram with dual quads and venturi stacks, maybe a dash mounted tach and four point rollbar, are some ideas for smaller additions which won't require a ton of extra work nor time.
I realize describing exactly how this build should progress is a bit of a fool's folly, so we'll allow each participant some leeway to add a small personal touch or detail without the need to worry about anyone taking the project too far off course. I'd also like to see/hear the ideas each builder may have when it's their turn discussed, both to keep every build participant involved and to help ensure everyone's ideas will work together in the best possible way. Each person participating will help determine the colors, etc. used on this project, so everyone participating has a say in how the build progresses and is finished.
5) You must take and post some nice, clear pics of the progress, and post at least one update if you participate. The more pics and updates, the better. The goal is to share what you're doing with the other build participants, as well as your fellow forum members, so please, share when it's your turn.
6) You may need to donate parts out of your own stash for this project if you decide to add something which is not kit stock. I'm sure the other build participants can chip in a needed part or two, but no one person should need to contribute more than a handful of parts. I will try to provide all the needed parts and ship them to the current or next builder, too.
7) You will be need to supply all needed supplies (glue, paint, BMF) and tools when it's your turn, but we shouldn't need much more than the basics this time. Spark plug wiring, embossing powder, Bare Metal Foil-- all must be supplied by you if they are needed when it's your turn, so figure that in, too. Again, I will contribute as much as I can in terms of "extras," and hopefully anyone else who participates will be willing to throw in a set of tires or slapper bars if needed for the build.
8) What did I leave out? Probably a few things, so if you're interested in participating, discuss please. If you're already sold on participating, simply state so and I will add you to the potential participant list.