Model Cars Magazine Forum

'84 Porsche 944 10/13/17 photo of 1:1 found

Foxer

I know I shouldn't be starting yet another build, but my '91 944 is approaching paint and this one, both of which I owned, is the same Guards Red and I should have both ready for my most hated model task .. PAINTING! :lol:

I have no photos of the 1:1 so here's a few that are the same color and wheels.

I just found a photo of my 1:1 ...

1984 Porsche 944 red scanned 0001

I located an old Testors 944S kit which has the correct front bumper. I think I have some Fuchs wheels coming from a gracious member, o-man, also. And I located a Monogram 924 kit to supply the old, 924 style dash.

I'm going to try something I've never done before with this one ... build a CURBSIDE! I'm going crazy again on the engine for the '91 944 and figure I should give myself a break. :lol:

Here's a body shot along side the '91 in the back with primer. Hopefully  the red plastic on this version won't hurt the red paint! ...

84 944 DSC 1264

Edited by Foxer

Nice project Mike. Looks like your going to end up with a spectrum of 944's in your display cabinet! Do you have plans to build the Hasagawa 968 as well?

If you are building a pre 1985 944 (I guess you are because of the dash from the 924 kit) then I expect that you are aware of the different windscreen too. The early 944 had a windscreen that was recessed about 1/2 inch, whereas the post 1985 944 had a flush fit windscreen. Having said that, It's not a major issue and I doubt anyone would notice.

Good luck with this project Mike. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Nice project Mike. Looks like your going to end up with a spectrum of 944's in your display cabinet! Do you have plans to build the Hasagawa 968 as well?

If you are building a pre 1985 944 (I guess you are because of the dash from the 924 kit) then I expect that you are aware of the different windscreen too. The early 944 had a windscreen that was recessed about 1/2 inch, whereas the post 1985 944 had a flush fit windscreen. Having said that, It's not a major issue and I doubt anyone would notice.

I do have two 968 kits along with a junker. One of them donated it's engine for the build of my '91 944. I had planned to replace the 1:1 '91 with a 968 but could never find one since so few were made. Someday I'll build a 968 and who knows how that might get modified!

I forgot about the windshield getting flush and I'm NOT going there! :lol: ... this is supposed to be a simple build!

Edited by Foxer

I have that kit and another I got cheap and all in yellow that donated it's 3.0 liter engine to the '92. :) It's based off the 944 turbo kit with new body and many new pieces in the engine compartment. Otherwise it's the same trees.

Edited by Foxer

I found a junk yard on ebay 11 cars including two 944 and a 968 .. two are Hasegawa and red one is a Testors. I was needing mirrors for my '91 build and this seemed like a fun buy. They are pretty low level builds with gallons of tube glue used! :D At least I got the needed mirrors.

The Testors kit used for the build here doesn't have a sunroof which I need to scribe for this build. After debating my options, including cutting out a brass sheet, I decided I'd sacrifice a body and cut out the sunroof to trace with the scriber. The two 944's are now sitting in the freezer ... they don't seem to want to pop apart with all that glue. :lol:

I may also hack a chunk of the inner front fender of the red Testors one to patch the hole I cut in my '91 build to install the Testors reservoir and headlight motors. :)

Fun, FUN, FUN!

white junk 944 DSC 1267

red junk 944 DSC 1268

yellow junk 968 DSC 1270

Edited by Foxer

The tires are set I think. I got the rims o-man sent and they are just right! They even scale out to about 15". The kit tires are a bit large as far as the rims go .. they are 17" in the kit. The sidewalls are too skinny though .. my 944 had 60 profile tires while the kit uses 50 series. I found tires on a Tamiya Mercedes 500 SL that look right. The interior diameter is also slightly smaller and will fit better also.

Here's a shot of the wheels and tires I need on an '84 944 ...

............................................................... missing photo

and here's the rims with the kit tires on the left and the 500 SL tires on the right.

tires DSC 1281

Edited by Foxer

Hey Mike, I kinda like the look of the ones on the left better of the two. Looks like the right ones are closer to a 70 series when compared to the rim size/ rim edge.

When you black out the center of the rim, the wheel will look smaller to the eye because of the lack of chrome.

Just an observation. :)

Hey Mike, I kinda like the look of the ones on the left better of the two. Looks like the right ones are closer to a 70 series when compared to the rim size/ rim edge.

When you black out the center of the rim, the wheel will look smaller to the eye because of the lack of chrome.

Just an observation. :)

I appreciate your eye put to the look of this. I'm sure the rin will look smaller once the center is painted black. It got me into some scaling, as much as possible with a photo. It's really more using ratios. With a good straight on photo of a known 15" '84 rim I ended up with 4.3" for the sidewall dimension ... this is from the middle of the rim edge where the actual 15" rim size would be close to. Measuring the sidewall of the stock kit tires I get 3.4" and the Mercedes tire measures 4.32". This matches the ratioed dimension off the photo pretty well.

The outside diameter of a 215/60-15 tire on 6.5" wide rims is 25.1" ... the diameter doesn't change much with wider rims, thanks to the Tire rack. The kit tire measures 223.8" od while the Mercedes tire is 24.9" od. So the Merc tire seems to match best, at least as close as I can get without a 944 out in the garage. :) The kit tire does look a lot better than I thought it was in the photo above. The rear tires on my 944 were a size larger .. actually 235/ "something" - 15, but I had to go back to the 225's when I replaced them due to rubbing issues.

It actually might look more correct using the kit tires in front and the Merc tires in the rear. I'll have to see when I can mock up the tires on the body.

Edited by Foxer

There you go Mike. I was going to make that suggestion too. To use the kits tires up front and the Mercedes tires out back. Mockup will tell in the end. I can appreciate how far you are going on the measurement end. :) Day in and day out I use metric measurement at work so I have numbers dancing in my head all night. :blink::D

A few mockups ... I must have changed a camera setting as these are pretty poor photos, but were enough to see ..

This is the kit tires in front and the larger Mercury's in the rear. I'm going with this but will be easy to use either in the end. The Fuchs are stripped and looks like a lot of sleeving to get them mounted using the sleeves of the kit wheels.

944 tires DSC 1284

The interior with 924 dash and console looks pretty good. Might end with a bit more space between glass and dash but it will all be black and won't show much. This was SUPPOSED to be a simple build!

dash mock DSC 1285

dash mock DSC 1287

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile but work hasn't stopped. I've been going through some tough decisions and fitting that has progressed slowly as I worked things out.

First, the wheels. o-man sent me some Fuchs that were the right size ... 15" ... and they are slightly small to fit into the tires I have with the right sidewall dimensions for series 50/55 tires. I had some old phone-dials that I kept modifying and eventually just hollowed them out so the Fuchs fit even with the outside edges. These photos show the results ..

wheels DSC 1291

There's a space around the edge that the photos show I'll have to putty up, but overall, they are looking right!

wheels DSC 1293

I've also been fitting the 924 dash and it's been tough to get the exact placement right along the windshield. I think I've got enough pieces glued in now to get the dash in place, so hopefully this will end shortly and I can get to the last body mods for the roll under behind the rear wheel wells.

The sunroof also got scribed along the way.

sunroof DSC 1274

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...