#41 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

Just let them be.  For the next 30 years they'll be talking about the day the tornado blew through!  B)

Do you mean the one that "It sounded just like a big ole freight train!"

#42 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Do you mean the one that "It sounded just like a big ole freight train!"

That would be the one!

#43 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Had a storm come through Collins yesterday, and went down to check out the damage. I could tell right away that it was  microburst damage, and not tornadic. Tried explaining that to some people in Collins I know that it was NOT a tornado, and all they could do was say was "It was a tornado!!!" Talked to a Missouri Highway Patrol officer, who agreed with me that it was a microburst, still those same people say "Tornado, tornado, tornado." Got a callback from the National Weather Service, telling me there were no signs of tornadic vorticies at all during the time the damage was done, still those people screamed "Tornado, tornado, tornado...

That happened here in West Chicago back in '07. A storm blew in and just as Dad looked out the window before shutting dow the computer incase a storm hit, then suddenly all of the braches on the trees in the back yard bent down from a sudden downburst of wnd and the power and land line went out, followed by rainy calm....... Mom, Dad and I spent the next couple days cleaning up the yard and waiting for the phone and power to get turned back on (neighbor's tree had repeated been a problem until last November when ComEd came out and moved the line). My sister had moved outfor a while and wad ok,but suddenly got a panicked call from a cousin of ours (and who's Mom is our Mom's older sister) called her because they had been trying to call us to make sure we were ok but couldn't get through and didn't have Dad's or my cell numbers either. They can get WGN News in Iowa apparently the Police Chief got had a press conference where he said the town got hit by a tornado. Needless to say, Mom's family back in Iowa was a bit worried until they tried to call........and since our phone was out and they couldn't get ahold of us, that turned to panic!!!

#44 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Oh, almost forgot, I was looking to do a little putty work on a Monogram 1/24 '56 Chevy I've been tinkering with and went to grab a tube of Squadron White Putty........and it was solid, so I found a nearly used up tube, also solid, dug up some Testors Putty............guess what, it too was even more solid than the Squadron tubes! Luckily I still have one much fresher tube left, although that took some digging to find.........not to mention I forgot I had it :P

#45 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Many years ago I was working in Princeton, NJ and one day on my way to work, the hour trip was non-eventful until I got within a few blocks of work. It was stop and go, and I could see trees down.  It turns out that there was a mini tornado (or other disturbance) that hit a very select area, maybe a few square blocks.  At work, all the willows around the lake were toast, uprooted and laying on the ground.   A steel door that was open on one of the building mechanical penthouses blew off and was found a few blocks away.

#46 W-Machine

W-Machine

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Enz

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

By trade, I am a municipal tax assessor. Listing all of the things that "irk" me in the course of a day, starting with greedy lawyers, stupid politicians (and greedy lawyers who become stupid politicians), ignorant property owners, etc. would hijack the thread. Head to head, there is not one human being reading this that can top me, and I know it. If you think you can, show me what you've got. I build model cars because it gives me an escape from the 1:1 world. Go figure.

#47 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

By trade, I am a municipal tax assessor. Listing all of the things that "irk" me in the course of a day, starting with greedy lawyers, stupid politicians (and greedy lawyers who become stupid politicians), ignorant property owners, etc. would hijack the thread. Head to head, there is not one human being reading this that can top me, and I know it. If you think you can, show me what you've got. I build model cars because it gives me an escape from the 1:1 world. Go figure.

I've been a cop for nearly 34 years, trust me I feel your pain.

G

#48 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Dealers playing games in car ads!   I just read through the Auto Shopper / Philadelphia edition while I was eating dinner and it just drives me nuts.  Dealers who don't list the mileage in ads, dealers who don't list the price in ads,  dealers who just show a monthly payment (on the ad with no price and no mileage), and dealers who list a really low price for a car with a very small print (nearly unreadable and purposely smudged) at the bottom that says "with a $5000 down payment or trade in".   All those ads are just devised to rip people off,  those who aren't as well read or informed as many of us.  Dishonest dealers just tick me off!

#49 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,881 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

By trade, I am a municipal tax assessor.

It takes guts to admit that publicly.  ^_^

#50 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

They do it that way on purpose. If all the shows are running commercials at the same time, they figure you'll have less of a reason to skip over to another channel to check out what's on over there. It's all about keeping you tuned in.

I "mute" all the commercials except the ones from Victoria's Secret.

#51 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,881 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I "mute" all the commercials except the ones from Victoria's Secret.

Victoria's Secret commercials don't need any audio.

#52 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Speaking of Victoria's Secret why won't real girls wear that stuff?

#53 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

How do you know they don't?  :rolleyes:

#54 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

I cant say

#55 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

What's really pi##ing me off is how all these so called news reporters are so quick to start slobbering over a tragic event and draw in ratings that they start telling you stuff before they have a clue of what's going on "Um, it's been CONFIRMED that fifty seven people have been killed!" Then the next day it changes to six. It is absolutly disgusting how they thrive on peoples misfortunes!!!! It get's worse and worse each day!!!!!!

#56 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:34 AM

You must be asking the wrong girls. B)

#57 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

Dealers playing games in car ads!  

All those ads are just devised to rip people off,  those who aren't as well read or informed as many of us.  Dishonest dealers just tick me off!

This, for sure. 

I recently looked at a '11 Town Car with low miles at a "reputable" new car dealership here in town. The car had a slightly high price on the windshield, but with a bit of haggling I felt it could be had.

Not. 

The "doc" fees and other "incidentals" kept the final price within $5 of the original price on the car. I asked the guy why he thought we were stupid and left. Really? All the subjective fees and such were adjusted to keep the price high?

G

#58 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

Stickers on my produce!  It's impossible to peel one of those tiny labels from a pear or tomato without taking the skin with it.  :angry:

David G.

#59 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

Just let them be.  For the next 30 years they'll be talking about the day the tornado blew through!  B)

Uh oh, how will this affect Faceless book ??????????

#60 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

What's really pi##ing me off is how all these so called news reporters are so quick to start slobbering over a tragic event and draw in ratings that they start telling you stuff before they have a clue of what's going on "Um, it's been CONFIRMED that fifty seven people have been killed!" Then the next day it changes to six. It is absolutly disgusting how they thrive on peoples misfortunes!!!! It get's worse and worse each day!!!!!!

Yes. The first reports on the World Trade Center put the loss at 10,000 people. And that was before the second tower was involved.