#1661 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

For a serious reply, I rarely carry cash,  for the simple reason is I most of the times, I wont need it

I carry very little cash. Why? Because when you put cash in your pocket you suddenly notice you don't have any and no clue where it went!  So I use my debit card for nearly everything. That way I have a record of my transactions.  Since I am consulting and have a home office, I can write off a lot of stuff for home and car expenses too. So I need records.

As far as places that don't take cards in the 21st century... I go there exactly once.  And when I find out they don't take cards I give them an earfull and let them know I'll never be back.  I can't imagine being so business stupid. Idiots don't understand how much business they have lost over that 3% fee. They've lost much more!

And I think some of the cash vs debit/credit is old school.  And some of the folks that squawk the loudest that they'd never own a credit card... well, they aren't credit worthy.  Recently the young guy at work, in his 30s asked me why George and I would spend cash in the cafeteria.  It was beyond his understanding.  Me? I was just spending off some cash I had left over from going to a model show!  :rolleyes:

#1662 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,510 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

On a positive note... nothing irked me today.  :D

#1663 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

On a positive note... nothing irked me today.  :D

Never got outta bed??  :P

#1664 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Never got outta bed??  :P

Oh, I got outta bed, wise guy!  :lol:

Actually, I spent part of the day installing the new garage door opener my son bought for me.  B)

#1665 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

About the only place I can think of where I still have to hand the card to the clerk and they swipe it is Hobbytown, no place else.

What about sit down restraunts, or drive-thrus etc? I am sure you hand over your card more than you realize.   :D

I personally use my card FAR more than cash, BUT.......cash still comes in handy for small transactions, like vending machines, but even some of those here at work now take cards. It also comes in handy to have cash for poker night.

#1666 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

What about sit down restraunts, or drive-thrus etc?

At McDonalds drive-thru, yes, you hand over your card. But you don''t have to sign anything.

#1667 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

I've ate at two great local restaurants this week, by myself, on my lunch hour. Both require a $10 minimum to use a card, I spent nowhere near that and my cash worked  just fine.

#1668 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

Some people still like using cash, some people like using plastic, some people like both,  and then, some people still like using checks(cheques).    Cant believe its been such a hot topic......................................................sprachlos040_zps13cb0991.gif

wave.gif

Edited by martinfan5, 04 June 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#1669 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

My bank has given up the practice of taking change, they no longer have a counting machine. I can take it to a supermarket where the machines there charge 10%. What about kids who save change in their piggy banks? Poor kids save their nickels dimes and quarters then lose 10% because banks don't want to deal with the coins.

I don't think that's even legal.

I'd call the Comptroller of the Currency- whether it's a state or federally-chartered bank, the C.C. has say in how they handle money.

And I agree with Nick- find a bank that isn't acting illegally or simply stupid.

Charlie Larkin

#1670 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

What irked me today?

The death of a beautiful 30 year old girl who wanted nothing more than to vacation in Las Vegas. She travelled here from Ireland and suffered a brain aneuryism. All I could see was my own daughter.

35 years into this and some things still tug at the old heart strings.

G

Ouch.

Absolutely tragic.

Charlie Larkin

#1671 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Todays my last day of school as an 8th grader oh god im getting old...lol.......well high school here i come

Trust me, that's the cool kind of getting old! I speak as a long-ago freshman and still-occasional teacher.

Getting old? Come talk to me in another twenty-five years, Scooter. :P

Charlie Larkin

#1672 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

Exactly!  I charge nearly everything since I'm a consultant and can expense a lot of my charges, so all my gas goes on the card. Also, with a fill up being $40-60, who wants to carry a lot of cash around?

I did some further web investigating and found a Long Island News Day article that a bunch of stations in that area are pulling that $1 upcharge.  There is a NY state law against upcharges,  BUT there is no law against discounting a product for cash. The article says the state investigators cannot determine whether the stations are upcharging, or discounting, so they haven't been able to prosecute (DUH!).   Governor Cuomo was quoted as saying about a third of gas stations on Long Island are involved in deceptive practices.  Great place!

I love going to LIARS, and I don't mind driving my friend down to see his honey-bunch in Selden, but stuff like this is one more reason I have zero interest in moving to Long Island.

Charlie Larkin

#1673 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Bats irked me today.

Well not so much the bats, or the fact that in the last 24 hours I've caught two of them flying around in circles in one room or another of the house, but the fact that I can't seem to find where they're coming in. Chimney is ruled out- that's sealed off after I had a minor fire in December, and I don't see how they can wiggle through the grates over the vents, unless a bat can squeeze through a hole that's only about a quarter inch wide. They certainly aren't getting into the house by any obvious means.

That, and the right front caliper on my pickup gave out. What irks me about that is that it's only about three years old, while the factory 1994 caliper on the other side still works just fine. I only replaced this one because I stripped out the thread for the bleeder screw when I was changing out a brake line.

Edited by Chuck Most, 04 June 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#1674 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

As far as places that don't take cards in the 21st century... I go there exactly once.  And when I find out they don't take cards I give them an earfull and let them know I'll never be back.  I can't imagine being so business stupid. Idiots don't understand how much business they have lost over that 3% fee. They've lost much more!

I take it you don't frequent too many "gentlemen's clubs", don't you? :lol:

There's one place where cash is still king.

Not that I'd know firsthand. A buddy told me. Yeah...

#1675 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Bats irked me today.

Well not so much the bats, or the fact that in the last 24 hours I've caught two of them flying around in circles in one room or another of the house, but the fact that I can't seem to find where they're coming in. Chimney is ruled out- that's sealed off after I had a minor fire in December, and I don't see how they can wiggle through the grates over the vents, unless a bat can squeeze through a hole that's only about a quarter inch wide. They certainly aren't getting into the house by any obvious means.

That, and the right front caliper on my pickup gave out. What irks me about that is that it's only about three years old, while the factory 1994 caliper on the other side still works just fine. I only replaced this one because I stripped out the thread for the bleeder screw when I was changing out a brake line.

Did you call Batman for help :lol:

#1676 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Did you call Batman for help :lol:

You mean Bruce Wayne? Yeah- but he's apparently too busy being a millionaire playboy and/or caped vigilante to return my calls... :angry:  :P

#1677 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

You mean Bruce Wayne? Yeah- but he's apparently too busy being a millionaire playboy and/or caped vigilante to return my calls... :angry:  :P

Yes, Bruce Wayne

:lol: :lol:

#1678 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Watching a guy toss a bunch of old 60s and 70s era kits in a trash hopper...I ask if he would like to sell them but got no reply as he tossed a big batch of very heavy things on top and locked it... :wacko:

#1679 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,510 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Bats irked me today.

Well not so much the bats, or the fact that in the last 24 hours I've caught two of them flying around in circles in one room or another of the house, but the fact that I can't seem to find where they're coming in.

Check the perimeter of the house for rotted sills, especially under porches. Do you have screens on all your windows? If not, maybe you left a window open, that's another possibility. Does the house have an attic with an opening to the rest of the house? Might have a section of the soffit board rotted out or broken. Maybe a missing attic ladder door or one not sealed tightly? Bats don't need a big hole to squeeze through. 

#1680 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Tom, remember, the biggest money maker ever was run by the Columbo family. It was the gas tax scam in Queens and Long Island back in the '80's.  Estimates put it at about $5,000,000 for the family in one year alone. I think one, maybe two guys took a hit, did some time and most of the money was never seen again.

G