Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Bats irked me today.

Well not so much the bats, or the fact that in the last 24 hours I've caught two of them flying around in circles in one room or another of the house, but the fact that I can't seem to find where they're coming in. Chimney is ruled out- that's sealed off after I had a minor fire in December, and I don't see how they can wiggle through the grates over the vents, unless a bat can squeeze through a hole that's only about a quarter inch wide. They certainly aren't getting into the house by any obvious means.

Be very careful with bats, it can be a serious thing. They carry critters with them and disease in their excrement.  And bats are like roaches, if you see 2 you may have 100s.

A few years ago friends of ours started itching and it was determined that they had bed bugs.  They were into every carpet, bed, couch etc in their house.  So in the course of exterminating (and throwing out all their carpet and much of their furniture), the exterminator discovered that they had bats in a sealed off area of their attic. The bats hadn't got into their house, but their bugs etc had. Upon opening up that area, there were literally 100s of bats and the whole place had a liberal coating of bat poop, which is where the bugs breed and live.  The clean up was bio-hazard and required men in white suits. All the attic insulation had to be removed as well as their bedroom ceiling since the sheet rock was saturated from above.  Several thousand dollars spent.

They had never even thought they had bats.  Living adjacent to woods they'd see them flying around but never saw them get near the house. The space they got in was minuscule. They found a tiny hole between the siding and soffit. .It all traced back to a neighbor who had a bat house on a tall pole at the back of their property. It fell down during a storm and the bats found a new home... in my friends attic.

So be careful. It may be worth getting an exterminator experience in bats to look around.

#1682 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

I've never heard of a bank refusing to accept a check from someone who doesn't have an account at that bank. That's very odd.

If they will cash the check, they want to charge a fee, even if I go to the bank the check was written from. The person who wrote the check has an account at the bank , is that not good enough? What are they doing for there own customers ....nothing.

Taking change to banks here is like pulling teeth most do not. Credit Unions still do. 

#1683 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

My employer. I requested to get off work early today, so I can pick up something at a freight terminal. I was told yes, but that changed this morning. Now I'm trying to arrange having a friend meet me at the terminal with his pickup and trailer. The whole reason I have to go to the terminal is because work wouldn't let me have it delivered to our shop. It's big enough, we have forklifts and a dock, but the answer was no, because they were afraid my freight might get damaged.

The friend with a pickup and trailer is a field supervisor. He had a bathtub at the shop and management gave him a hard time, for the same reason.

There's a manager at work who keeps his personal trailer in the back lot.

I think I'll look for a new job. Management doesn't seem to understand that EVERYBODY is hiring plumbers these days.

#1684 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,173 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

If they will cash the check, they want to charge a fee, even if I go to the bank the check was written from. The person who wrote the check has an account at the bank , is that not good enough? What are they doing for there own customers ....nothing.

Taking change to banks here is like pulling teeth most do not. Credit Unions still do. 

Today's banking business model:  ANY excuse to charge a fee.

#1685 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

Tire companies! I have a car I love, a 1993 MR 2 Turbo. Thing is fast as stink and goes around corners like a go kart. Part of the handling is a direct result of having staggered tires. Problem is they are on 15 inch rims. Little car don't need no donk rims! Well, to make a long story short, every tire manufacture on the planet has decided that the rear tires for this thing are not worth making. Not even anything close. Well that is not entirely true. You can get drag slicks or full on race tires at $800 a pop. So now, I have to go out a pop $1200 for a new set of rims and tires. Had to go +2 to get a decent selection. Now we have to wait to see if they are going to fit. The front tires have very little clearance between the suspension but if I have done my math correctly, they it will clear by 5/8". It didn't have 3/4" clearance to start with. I'm hoping! All this stress because I love a piece of machinery that no one else seems to like.

#1686 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,862 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Wouldn't a Toyota dealer be able to get the tires?

#1687 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Wouldn't a Toyota dealer be able to get the tires?

You would think so wouldn't you, but no. I called Toyota and they have no suggestions(too afraid of getting sued). I have gone on line to every place I can think of. It is like the industry is phasing out 15" tires. Granted 225/50 15's performance tires were not that common and most of the MR 2's have been turned into race cars at this point, but not finding anything that I can get a matching setoff front and rears is a bit annoying. Even the MR2 forums seem to be without ideas.

Edited by Pete J., 09 June 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#1688 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

I tried Tirerack.com, just out of curiosity. Even they showed no results in a search!

Man, if Tirerack doesn't have them, nobody does!

#1689 oldnslow

oldnslow

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Lightsey

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Tire Rack has Fuzion Grand Touring all season 225/60/15s for $59, maybe an alternative?

#1690 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

You would think so wouldn't you, but no. I called Toyota and they have no suggestions(too afraid of getting sued). I have go on line to every place I can think of. It is like the industry is phasing out 15" tires. Granted 225/50 15's performance tires were not that common and most of the MR 2's have been turned into race cars at this point, but not finding anything that I can get a matching setoff front and rears is a bit annoying. Even the MR2 forums seem to be without ideas.

Wonder what the guys with the Shelby-Dodge/Turbo Dodge stuff do now then, I think a lot of those ran speed rated 225/50r15's, if not from the factory, as an upgrade from stock sizes. I'm kinda wondering how hard it will be to find 235/75r15's for my Jeep before long too.

#1691 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

You would think so wouldn't you, but no. I called Toyota and they have no suggestions(too afraid of getting sued). I have go on line to every place I can think of. It is like the industry is phasing out 15" tires. Granted 225/50 15's performance tires were not that common and most of the MR 2's have been turned into race cars at this point, but not finding anything that I can get a matching setoff front and rears is a bit annoying. Even the MR2 forums seem to be without ideas.

I'm starting to have that problem with my car, as well. The P225/75R-15 passenger car tire is becoming very hard to find, at least anything even sort of decent, and man are they getting pricey. An off-brand 40,000 mile tire is going for about $100. I remember a few years ago, you could get decent (60-70,000 mile) tires for that price.

I've seen several of the less-common tire sizes go out of production in recent years- I would think it would be wise to keep the molds on hand, even for special order.

Joe- don't worry too much. So many trucks/SUVs have used 235XLs, that those won't be gone anytime soon. There are literally millions of them.

Pete- I'm not sure if they'd have something, but consider trying Diamondback Classics. Their main product line is radial WWWs, but they do offer a line of slightly-customized performance tires in a variety of sizes that seem to be a bit hard to get.

Charlie Larkin

#1692 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

I went to get gas Saturday.

Pre-paid for $70, gave the clerk $80 because it was what I had, and a big difference between cash/credit.

With my discount from one of the local supermarkets, I had 50 cents/gallon off on up to 20 gallons. Cool.

Put in 18 and a nudge gallons. The clerk had rung in $61.98, I ended up taking $58.85.

The signs on the pumps were also advertising cold drinks for 89 cents. Good deal, it was pretty hot out.

So, I went in, and got my Sprite.

The clerk- under orders from her boss, rang it up at $1.05. "You're advertisting 89 cents, even with tax, that's still only 95 cents."

"The owner wants it run at 99 cents and the signs don't matter."

Irritated, and too hot to care, I took it, and the rest of my change, and left.

About five minutes down the road....I realized the dope clerk, possibly because of her boss again, short-changed me.

I went right back.

I did out math.

She looked at the register record. "Well, I pre-paid $61.98, and it that's what it changed on."

"And that amount should have been updated when I stopped pumped at three dollars less than the anticipated amount. Now...does your boss want you short-changing me, too, to enrichen himself as you stated earlier to me, or do I have to call the police?"

I got my change, and reported it to the police. 

Because I got my change, they couldn't do anything, but I told the dispatcher what was going on, and to keep an eye on that station and watch for complaints.

I'll be calling the weights/measures inspector tomorrow, and probably Sunoco, too.

Charlie Larkin

#1693 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'm starting to have that problem with my car, as well. The P225/75R-15 passenger car tire is becoming very hard to find, at least anything even sort of decent, and man are they getting pricey. An off-brand 40,000 mile tire is going for about $100. I remember a few years ago, you could get decent (60-70,000 mile) tires for that price.

I've seen several of the less-common tire sizes go out of production in recent years- I would think it would be wise to keep the molds on hand, even for special order.

Joe- don't worry too much. So many trucks/SUVs have used 235XLs, that those won't be gone anytime soon. There are literally millions of them.

Pete- I'm not sure if they'd have something, but consider trying Diamondback Classics. Their main product line is radial WWWs, but they do offer a line of slightly-customized performance tires in a variety of sizes that seem to be a bit hard to get.

Charlie Larkin

I'll have to look again Charlie, but I think some of the tire manufacturers are still making all season tires in our sizes, but while I'm using a P-Metric All Terrain on my XJ, you might still be able to find a P-Metric truck tire that is more car like in a similar size. I know Goodyear had more pavement biased light truck tire that was about the size you need a nukber of years ago........the Goodyear dealer goofed up and put them on my truck by accident and didn't realize it until I pointed out to them the tires were wrong in all but manufacturer and size!

#1694 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

If you saw the news, you know what irked me. More than irked.

I'm numb and sick to my stomach.

G

#1695 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

If you saw the news, you know what irked me. More than irked.

I'm numb and sick to my stomach.

G

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I'm with you.

#1696 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I'm with you.

I am..................

G

#1697 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,173 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

I'm with you, G. 

#1698 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,903 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Terrible news, G.  What's wrong with people?

#1699 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

I didnt watch the news. What happened?

#1700 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,903 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

You can google Las Vegas shooting.  Short version is 2 idiots shot (execution style) 2 Las Vegas police officers while they were having lunch at a CiCi's Pizza and then went over to a Wal-Mart and killed another person, then killed themselves.  They had said something about the "start of the revolution" and had that old flag with the coiled snake "Don't Tread on Me".

Actions like these make me glad I didn't become a police officer in Washington, DC in 1970 and very happy that I visit the Law Enforcement Memorial in DC just about every year in November.