Lincoln-Mercury dealer drawings from 1947: build it yourself!

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

While looking for old photos on the North Carolina State University Library site, I found some architectural drawings for a car dealership, Ocean Motor Sales Lincoln-Mercury, dated 1947. The files are very large so I'll post a link here:

http://d.lib.ncsu.ed...ean motor sales

(I looked on Google Earth at North 2nd street in Wilmington, but I guess the building is long gone...)

Happy building!

#2 scaleauto

scaleauto

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:Vaughn Munroe

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:59 AM

that is awesome.

#3 Swifster

Swifster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

That IS great. That would work as numerous repair shops. I could see a body shop with that layout. And it would only take up a 8'x4' (or less) piece of wood for a base. The size would be 2.640 for the width and 6.600 for the length.

I wonder if you could get those drawings on legal size paper (11"x17") from NCSU?

Edited by Swifster, 17 September 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#4 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,610 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Very nice.

Charlie Larkin

#5 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Ellifritt

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

I noticed there are separate locker rooms, and not because of gender. In 1947, this is how it was. I found these plans fascinating, and have saved them for further examination. It's like a paper time capsule. How things have changed!  

#6 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Oh, yeah, that... I'm looking through all the architectural drawings in the collection and I've found several more "separate but equal" facilities. On a happier note there are many other drawings I'm turning up from a collection of over 700 items including... well, I'll put that in a new topic!

#7 Swifster

Swifster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I noticed there are separate locker rooms, and not because of gender. In 1947, this is how it was. I found these plans fascinating, and have saved them for further examination. It's like a paper time capsule. How things have changed!  

Depending on the blueprint, there is either 1 or two locker rooms. The other thing to keep in mind was that this was the south (Wilmington, NC). I'm not sure that two locker rooms would have been included if this dealer was going to be in Detroit or Chicago.