Model Cars Magazine Forum

5th Wheel Pickup Hitch

Hi guys, I had a request to make 5th wheel pickup hitches for a customer of mine. I plan on adding them to my product line but need some information. The cradle that the 5th wheel sits on it is adjustable up and down. The 5th wheel itself pivots on the cradle. The only company I know of that makes goose necks is Galaxie. Question 1...it there another company or caster that makes them? Question 2....if someone here has a Galaxie goose neck, if you would, could you please tell me what the king pin size is, diameter and length. The hole for the king pin on this hitch is 1/8" dia, it's for a die cast trailer, need to know how close to the Galaxie or other make the king pins are....trying to make them as universal as possible....thanks fellas, appreciate any thoughts and info.......Danny

00513_zps96892028.jpg

[/u00415_zps3a30d1bb.jpgRL]

5thHITCH_zpsb567c1e4.jpg

Edited by dannyi

Hi guys, I had a request to make 5th wheel pickup hitches for a customer of mine. I plan on adding them to my product line but need some information. The cradle that the 5th wheel sits on it is adjustable up and down. The 5th wheel itself pivots on the cradle. The only company I know of that makes goose necks is Galaxie. Question 1...it there another company or caster that makes them? Question 2....if someone here has a Galaxie goose neck, if you would, could you please tell me what the king pin size is, diameter and length. The hole for the king pin on this hitch is 1/8" dia, it's for a die cast trailer, need to know how close to the Galaxie or other make the king pins are....trying to make them as universal as possible....thanks fellas, appreciate any thoughts and info.......Danny

00513_zps96892028.jpg

00415_zps3a30d1bb.jpg

5thHITCH_zpsb567c1e4.jpg

You've done a great job so far!!!!!!!! Here's the installation instructions for a Reese 16K 5th wheel hitch. I am a master RV technician of over 27 years and install these all the time. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help! A nice resin 5th wheel hitch has been needed for a long time!!!!!! I don't remember anyone else offering one? http://www.reeseprod.com/content/downloads/installation/N30047.pdf

Thank you fellas, appreciate the kind words and the interest in these. The one pictured is the prototype I sent to the customer and he would like a couple of small changes for use with his models. The finished hitch will be very similer to this one. I will definitely post here when their ready, thanks again guys........Danny

Danny, what you have there is what would be a standard for a long bed pick-up. They make several different types but all seem to be very close to what you have created. I have one for my camper that is slightly different only because it is designed for a short bed. It is called a "slider". It has a frame that is squarish/rectangle in shape that is mounted on those rails in line with the truck frame. The rest is much the same with the "A" frames and hitch point itself. A large arm is pulled to remove lock pins that allow the hitch to slide back and forth for about 12-18 inches, depending on the model. This allows for the tighter turning radius of the short bed trucks. Not to confuse you or anything, just wanted to add and tell you that what you have is SPOT ON!

This hitch can be used in long beds or short beds. It all depends on the trailer your hauling. If it's a big fithwheel camper trailer that will hit the cab in turns, then yes, you would want to put it into a long bed but most gooseneck trailers have a long triangular neck that would clear the cab in a short bed. The slider hitch mentioned is manual operation and requires the driver to get out and unlock the slide rails so the hitch can slide to the rear of the rails. This provides more clearance for sharp corners or backing the trailer. There is also an automatic slider that slides back and to the side when you turn a corner. When you turn back straight, the hitch is pulled forward and back into the center again. Pictured are one type of manual slider and then an autoslide.30075.jpgmF5SwiKvtIR0RvN0VNdQ8AQ.jpg

Edited by Ben

• 1 month later...

Hi fellas, thought I'd let you guys know the 5th wheel hitches are ready to go.....

5THWHEEL7_zpsde14858a.jpg

[url=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/dioman54/media/5THWHEEL5_zps3f4daed8.jpg.html]5THWHEEL5_zps3f4daed8.jpg[/

....their available on my web site(link below signature) or at my e-Bay store.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESIN-1-25-5TH-WHEEL-HITCH-

Edited by dannyi

Hi fellas, thought I'd let you guys know the 5th wheel hitches are ready to go.....

5THWHEEL7_zpsde14858a.jpg

[url=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/dioman54/media/5THWHEEL5_zps3f4daed8.jpg.html]5THWHEEL5_zps3f4daed8.jpg[/

....their available on my web site(link below signature) or at my e-Bay store.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESIN-1-25-5TH-WHEEL-HITCH-

Wow!!!!!! Beautiful job! I'm out of work right now but as soon as I can afford too, I'll be buying a couple!

• 3 weeks later...