#61 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
  • Full Name:GABRIEL SOTO

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

It's very difficult for hobby shops to get a decent supply of aftermarket parts.  As we know, the aftermarket is rather fickle. Many can barely keep up with demand for their own retail and don't wholesale.  Others will agree to supply a store, but fall short of delivering the order.  Avenel Hobbies in New Jersey used to stock a lot of aftermarket but stopped because they couldn't get reliable supplies. I was in the store one Saturday when Randy was trying to phone an aftermarket company, only to have to leave a message with a kid.  He also mentioned that even those companies that would ship resin, would only do so after their own demand for retail had subsided, so he was buying 'old news' pieces.  So he pretty much gave up. Except for companies that do wholesale well like Model Car Garage, Pegasus, Jimmy Flintstone and the like. 

Automotive resin/ Aftermarket parts are Not the only Items out there there is plenty of good quality military, non military products, out there. There is another hobby shop in the Valley, that is more in tune with All modelers, they carry a good amount of aftermarket items, there prices for kits is every bit as expensive as Hobbytown,. Yet they do a good volume of business through their store when I go  there they have Model Car Garage, Pegasus, Detail Master,  Parts by Parks, and a few others. They were known as primarily military but the new owners have seen fit to get into All types of hobbies, Trains,slot cars, Planes, Automobiles plastic/resin models of figures.  Full service, if there is a problem getting Aftermarket parts, it does'nt look like it from my eyes.

#62 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,574 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Automotive resin/ Aftermarket parts are Not the only Items out there there is plenty of good quality military, non military products, out there. There is another hobby shop in the Valley, that is more in tune with All modelers, they carry a good amount of aftermarket items, there prices for kits is every bit as expensive as Hobbytown,. Yet they do a good volume of business through their store when I go  there they have Model Car Garage, Pegasus, Detail Master,  Parts by Parks, and a few others. They were known as primarily military but the new owners have seen fit to get into All types of hobbies, Trains,slot cars, Planes, Automobiles plastic/resin models of figures.  Full service, if there is a problem getting Aftermarket parts, it does'nt look like it from my eyes.

I think they may have the largest selection of paints out of all the LHS here, and its pretty massive,  I wish I was a little closer to that LHS 

#63 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

there they have Model Car Garage, Pegasus, Detail Master,  Parts by Parks, and a few others. They were known as primarily military but the new owners have seen fit to get into All types of hobbies, Trains,slot cars, Planes, Automobiles plastic/resin models of figures.  Full service, if there is a problem getting Aftermarket parts, it does'nt look like it from my eyes.

Note that the aftermarket companies you list are the same ones I listed as having product available to wholesale. In fact those all sell to distributors, who then sell to hobby shops.  That stuff is not hard to get.  The aftermarket I was speak of as hard to obtain are the resin kits etc done by the smaller companies that just don't make enough product to wholesale. Some of them are one man part time efforts that are behind on their retail mail orders.  You would never find Modelhaus parts,  Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland product etc in hobby shops because they do a good business on their own, and are already working to capacity just filling their own orders. But guys will be disappointed that they can't find those products in hobby shops.  Randy at Avenel Hobbies tried to get this kind of product for his customers, listening to what they wanted, but just wasn't able to get reliable shipments from smaller concerns.

#64 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Gabe,

Which one are you referring to?  I don't recognize it by your description.  Is that the depot?

#65 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yes Dan. Hobby depot

#66 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Note that the aftermarket companies you list are the same ones I listed as having product available to wholesale. In fact those all sell to distributors, who then sell to hobby shops.  That stuff is not hard to get.  The aftermarket I was speak of as hard to obtain are the resin kits etc done by the smaller companies that just don't make enough product to wholesale. Some of them are one man part time efforts that are behind on their retail mail orders.  You would never find Modelhaus parts,  Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland product etc in hobby shops because they do a good business on their own, and are already working to capacity just filling their own orders. But guys will be disappointed that they can't find those products in hobby shops.  Randy at Avenel Hobbies tried to get this kind of product for his customers, listening to what they wanted, but just wasn't able to get reliable shipments from smaller concerns.

Then is Avenel hobbies dying on the vine? The Hobby Town I am speaking of, does'nt want to get any Pegasus,Model car Garage, or Detail Master parts in stock. If you want that you have to order it. You might get it  then again maybe not. It appears the new owner took some backward steps, and is happy with selling the RC stuff, Because thats what he is familiar with. but has no Clue what the Plastic modeler wants or needs. Thats probably 1/3 of his business down the drain. Worst yet the current owner is not even at the store. Because he is working at his old previous line of work to be able to get paid. 

#67 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Yes Dan. Hobby depot

Thanks!  Thought so, but wasn't sure if I was missing something somewhere else!

B)

#68 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:02 AM

Then is Avenel hobbies dying on the vine?

I don't believe so.  They don't do RC and are focused on plastic modelers of all genres so I believe they do a good kit business. They have the largest selection of auto / truck / motorcycle etc kits of anywhere, including all the foreign stuff nobody stocks.  We're talking an entire aisle, at least 50 feet long, double sided,  so over 100 feet of kits, floor to ceiling. People do go there to buy kits at retail, I see them checking out with a stack of them.  I do see guys who are in my clubs, or go to shows where kits are sold cheaply, buying kits there. I've asked and their answer is that they want the kit NOW.  So they pay.

I have noticed the shrinking model aisle at other hobby shops.  Those are the ones that don't have anyone on staff that have a clue about our hobby.  I know some just get two of each new release from their distributor, and when those two sell, they're gone forever. In my local Hobbytown USA, they have a decent selection of kits, but those hot sellers are completely missing.  I would have bought a Revell '57 Ford or '50 Olds, but they don't have any.  And the bigger stores like Michaels seem to have a 3-6 month lag on new issues so here's a niche the hobby shop can fill. I wonder how many buyers have stopped going to that shop because they never find the new kit they're looking for there?

Edited by Tom Geiger, 23 September 2013 - 03:07 AM.

#69 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Ellifritt

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

HobbyTown's kits are expensive, I never buy a kit from them, but they do have a good selection of tools and materials. That is, one of the Hobbytowns near me does.

It's weird... there are two Hobbytowns near me, both are about the same distance away. Since they are both Hobbytowns, you'd expect them to carry pretty much the same inventory... but no. One of them has a very limited inventory of supplies. In fact, there have been three separate instances where I have gone there looking for very common items (small drill bits, Testors Transparent Window Tint spray, and I forget the third thing). Each time I asked the guy there about the items I was looking for, I got the same answer: "In the six years we've been here, you're the first person who's ever asked for that."

In other words, he was trying to make it look like I was some sort of weirdo looking for some crazy stuff that no hobby shop would possibly carry.

Well, let's say I learned my lesson, and I will never set foot in that particular Hobbytown again. And yet, that other HT near me has an excellent selection of things, and I've always found what I came for at that location... including small drill bits, Testors Transparent Window Tint, Evergreen or Plastruct items, brass and/or aluminum tubing and rod, etc. Weird how one HT is useless, while another is well-stocked.

I used to have two near me as well. The good one moved to the other side of town, and I'm left with the small, poorly stocked one. Example: The good one offered Evergreen and Plastruct. The small one has no intention of stocking Plastruct, and hasn't reordered the Evergreen since they opened, as far as I can tell.

#70 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

Example: The good one offered Evergreen and Plastruct. The small one has no intention of stocking Plastruct, and hasn't reordered the Evergreen since they opened, as far as I can tell.

Since I'm an Evergreen junkie, this is important to me.  My local Hobbytown USA has an Evergreen and Plastruct rack, as well as a good selection of woods. Last time I bought $75 worth.  They seem to stock two of each stock number, so if someone buys both, the spot will be empty. They do have a computerized sales and ordering system so they reorder what they sell pretty quick.  When I asked, the owner told me the one I wanted would be in on Thursday.

On the other hand, they don't stock Tamiya paints. They have a whole aisle of Testors, every friggin option, and a Pactra rack. They also have those paints the gamers use. When I asked about Tamiya, the owner said,  "Yes, a lot of people ask for that." ... soooo where is it then?  LOL

#71 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

One thing I do like about the Hobbytown I visit is that their Tamiya paints are the same price as Testors. The employee told me they would do it as long as it was possible for them to do so. Even if they do start charging more for Tamiya, I'll still buy it. I just wish I could get the TS-13 clear once again.  

#72 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

A couple of comments on others comments here:

1. Yes, Hobbytown pricing can be high, but I do see variances depending on locations. I have found the one near me to be even with what I can get them for online, sometimes a dollar or two higher. The local HT is family owned and they are nice to deal with. Was in there yesterday and they have shrunk their kits section as they are gearing up for Xmas with the RC. They are not a big store to begin with, so I understand why they reduced the kits. Still the best place for miles around for paint and Evergreen!  I joined the HT rewards club and get coupons in the mail. The store that I signed up at is in Richmond VA. I went to use the coupon at the store by my house in Charlotte NC and the clerk turned me down, stating "We don't honor those" and the owner looked up and saw it was me and he said "Yes, we will for him!" He saw that I was buying another $40 of kits and supplies and he knew that $5 off meant I would return, which I have!

2. One way to beat the higher prices is through online shopping. Tower Hobbies is constantly offering free shipping on $25 orders and that is a good way to get several kits at a good price.

3. The franchise thing will vary for different industries. For example, at NAPA, while it would be in the best interests of a store owner to buy everything he could from them, there are times when a customer's needs are better served by going outside the system. Also, some owners are better able to have a bigger store and larger inventory, and while there are suggestions on what to stock, in the end it is up to the owner. There are some big market stores with $1,000,000 of inventory and small town stores with $100,000!

In the end, I support BOTH the online and LHS as they offer different things to me and sometimes it is about needing it now versus saving a couple of dollars.

Mike, if you haven't been to The Hobby Stop in Rock Hill, you should check it out.  They have a good selection of paints and Evergreen and kits.  Otherwise, I've been to both Hobby Towns; the one in Pineville is more convenient but I prefer the one in Monroe as they seem to have a better all-around selection of everything; I have no problems with Hobby Lobby in Monroe or Rock Hill as they have more than enough stuff to build and paint a model (sadly, no Evergreen or I could make them a habit) and as for Michaels, well... I might buy paint or embossing powder there, or a kit if they have a sale or clearance, if we are there for something else.

Edited by johnbuzzed, 24 September 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#73 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

The days of affordability or reasonable prices on everything is long gone. I do what I can to support my LHS & Hobby lobby to an extent of reasonable prices. Ebay is my last resort (Out of production kits are a different story), shipping cost's usually kills any good deals one may find from time to time.

Edited by Gramps2u, 24 September 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#74 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Mike, if you haven't been to The Hobby Stop in Rock Hill, you should check it out.  They have a good selection of paints and Evergreen and kits.  Otherwise, I've been to both Hobby Towns; the one in Pineville is more convenient but I prefer the one in Monroe as they seem to have a better all-around selection of everything; I have no problems with Hobby Lobby in Monroe or Rock Hill as they have more than enough stuff to build and paint a model (sadly, no Evergreen or I could make them a habit) and as for Michaels, well... I might buy paint or embossing powder there, or a kit if they have a sale or clearance, if we are there for something else.

John,

I have stopped at Hobby Stop and picked up some Tamiya paint and Evergreen, but their prices (kits and supplies) are higher than the HTU in Pineville. I bought there only so I didn't have to drive out of my way to Pineville.

Will have to remember the Monroe location next time I am out that way.

I did stop in the HTU in Richmond today and was disappointed. Walked in and the clerk at the register was more engaged with some sea story with two customers, didn't even acknowledge my presence. Spent 10-15 minutes looking over the kits and paint/supplies aisles and still no acknowledgement!

After walking both aisles 2-3 times, I left without buying anything and even on my way out I stopped at the magazines by the register and I was ignored as the clerk was now talking to a young mother who was there with her son playing with the wooden train table.

I was taught years ago to always acknowledge the customer when they enter your business, and help them as soon as you can. I just might have bought something tonight but not if they can't even say hello.

And before anyone says anything, the clerk looked to be in his late 50's/early 60's!

#75 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ahhhhhhh.  Scuttlebutt has it there may be some news down the road for our town!  Sounds like it's gonna be g~o~o~d!  :) 

Edited by Danno, 24 September 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#76 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

SPILL IT Dan whats going on?
Ahhhhhhh.  Scuttlebutt has it there may be some news down the road for our town!  Sounds like it's gonna be g~o~o~d!  :) 

#77 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

John,

I have stopped at Hobby Stop and picked up some Tamiya paint and Evergreen, but their prices (kits and supplies) are higher than the HTU in Pineville. I bought there only so I didn't have to drive out of my way to Pineville.

Will have to remember the Monroe location next time I am out that way.

I did stop in the HTU in Richmond today and was disappointed. Walked in and the clerk at the register was more engaged with some sea story with two customers, didn't even acknowledge my presence. Spent 10-15 minutes looking over the kits and paint/supplies aisles and still no acknowledgement!

After walking both aisles 2-3 times, I left without buying anything and even on my way out I stopped at the magazines by the register and I was ignored as the clerk was now talking to a young mother who was there with her son playing with the wooden train table.

I was taught years ago to always acknowledge the customer when they enter your business, and help them as soon as you can. I just might have bought something tonight but not if they can't even say hello.

And before anyone says anything, the clerk looked to be in his late 50's/early 60's!

Mike, I honestly didn't notice the prices to be able to compare them; I was just happy to find a place that still has the LHS "feel", which I think Hobby Town lacks.

There was a hobby shop back in Bay Shore on LI some years back, it's no longer there.  I wrote about it once for our club newsletter.  The proprietor basically had the same attitude- no acknowledgment of customers on entering the store, and I had gone there on several occasions- never really finding anything to buy as the prices were higher than all of the local competition, both big-box stores and the few LHSs.  But he did notice me enough to be able to claim (in a later newsletter article, in answer to mine) that I "didn't look like a shoplifter"... Hmm.  How nice of him to notice.  Never once did I hear anything like "Can I help you?" or the old NY standard, "How ya doin'?"  This place was selling the then-new Hot Wheels flamed Deuce coupe for $10.00 while  K-Mart had them for less than a buck.  Needless to say, the store didn't last long.  That's life.

#78 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

Mike, I honestly didn't notice the prices to be able to compare them; I was just happy to find a place that still has the LHS "feel", which I think Hobby Town lacks.

There was a hobby shop back in Bay Shore on LI some years back, it's no longer there.  I wrote about it once for our club newsletter.  The proprietor basically had the same attitude- no acknowledgment of customers on entering the store, and I had gone there on several occasions- never really finding anything to buy as the prices were higher than all of the local competition, both big-box stores and the few LHSs.  But he did notice me enough to be able to claim (in a later newsletter article, in answer to mine) that I "didn't look like a shoplifter"... Hmm.  How nice of him to notice. 

I believe that the success or failure of hobby shops comes down to the personality and skills of the owner.  Things that come easy to some of us (greeting customers, being friendly and interested etc) just aren't in the set of talents some folks have.  We've all known store owners and workers who just tick people off or don't know the very basics of business.  And we know when we've been subject to this, we don't go back.  And that's why they fail. 

I've been stalking my local Hobbytown USA and have learned that when the owners (an older couple) are there, they're pretty decent. The woman always  greets people and approaches you in the store to see if she can help you.  The man is more the counter guy, but always has a brief conversation with me when I check out. He thanks me for my business. That's most important.  When they're not there, the youngsters running the store exhibit all the bad behaviors of ignoring customers, being totally engrossed in conversations between themselves in front of customers etc. 

And John, I think you look like a shop lifter!   :)    And having worked my share of retail I know that many shoplifters don't look like shoplifters at all!

#79 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

SPILL IT Dan whats going on?

Okay.  It's pretty solid, so 'spilling the beans' shouldn't hurt.

New hobby facility opening in 3 - 4 months in NW Phoenix!!

It will include 7,000 sq ft retail store with emphasis on both R/C and plastic car & truck modeling, some military; large paint & supplies section. 

In addition, another 82,500 sq ft indoor will include build session & Make-N-Take benches, meeting rooms available to clubs, and space for special events such as swap meets and contests, plus indoor R/C racing stadium, go-kart track, and concession/restaurant.  And, acres of parking. 

Dreamville! 

Coming soon to a Phoenix near you!

Edited by Danno, 02 October 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#80 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Okay.  It's pretty solid, so 'spilling the beans' shouldn't hurt.

New hobby facility opening in 3 - 4 months in NW Phoenix!!

It will include 7,000 sq ft retail store with emphasis on both R/C and plastic car & truck modeling, some military; large paint & supplies section. 

In addition, another 81,900 sq ft indoor will include build session & Make-N-Take benches, meeting rooms available to clubs, and space for special events such as swap meets and contests, plus indoor R/C racing stadium, go-kart track, and concession/restaurant.  And, acres of parking. 

Dreamville! 

Coming soon to a Phoenix near you!

Maybe I'll move to AZ.

How much does it cost to cool an 82K sq ft space?  :D