#21 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm not a fiction reader. I read only non-fiction (when I read at all, which unfortunately is all too rare). The last fiction I read was in high school, because it was an assignment. 

But I really need to get my act together and read "Atlas Shrugged." I feel like I'm the only guy left on Earth that hasn't read it yet. From what I know of Ayn Rand and her philosophy, I think I would pretty much agree with her views

No fiction? I always say, well, not always...but...
I read nonfiction to learn about the world and fiction to learn about myself. I'm talking good fiction - Dostoyevsky, Hemingway, Faulkner, etc.
One of my favorite fiction books is "The Kingdom of This World" by Alejo Carpentier - a truly great book.
Some of my favorite nonfiction:
"Proofiness", Seife
"The Drunkards Walk", Mlodinow
"Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me", on loan?
"1491", Mann

Too many to list...

#22 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Busbey

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

the book series I am reading that I got into is called the executioner by Don pendleton

#23 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,672 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

... I really need to get my act together and read "Atlas Shrugged." I feel like I'm the only guy left on Earth that hasn't read it yet...

In my experience, there are probably a lot more people who claim to have read it than have actually read it, a situation that often becomes apparent during a discussion of the book. ;)

#24 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Do the instruction books that come in some kits, count? I just read the whole instruction book from my meng dozer kit! :)

#25 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Another good classic car book is Roadster (How and Especially Why A Mechanical Novice Built a Sports Car From A Kit) By Chris Goodrich.  In the book he builds a Lotus 7 from a kit, while sharing philosophies.  An interesting read.

#26 JM485

JM485

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Mouzakis

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Not car related at all, but I have really enjoyed all of the Dan Brown books.  He even wrote a couple before his big hit The Da Vinci Code and I thought they were just as good.  I also read Decision Points by George W. Bush a few years ago and really liked that as well.  Even if you are not on the right side of the spectrum, it would be an interesting read since it goes in depth into his past and his major decisions as president.

#27 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

I found Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead to be intellectually stimulating. I'm trying to make my way through Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom" but dang that things tough. Must be written for Mensa members.

Harry, you've gotta read Killing L:incoln. Great book. Made it through in only 4 sittings. Hard to put down.

I'm going to have to pick up Decision Points.

Edited by Draggon, 02 October 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#28 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,672 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

I just look at the pictures.

#29 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

The last book I read was Musclecar Confidential by Joe Oldham. The last fiction I read was Swan Song by Robert McCameron. I read too much tech BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH at work to make reading an enjoyment these days. Although I do subscribe to 3 automotive magazines and just one modeling magazine.

Guess which one? 

#30 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

What about Henry Gregor Felsen?

#31 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

I just finished a book entitled FDR Goes To War, by Burton W. Folsom Jr. and Anita Folsom.  Learned lots of interesting things about FDR and politics at the time - much of which set the table for where we are now... :(

Oh - one I finished not to long ago was entitled What Cops Know.  It was written back in the late 70s about various facets of crime as seen by a variety of law enforcement people in the Chicago PD.  Some stories were sad; some funny, but all of them were intriguing in some way or another.

#32 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Great topic. brings to mind a line from a L'Amour novel:

'A mind, like a home, is furnished by it's owner. If one's life is cold and bare. he has no one to blame but himself. You have a chance to choose from some pretty elegant furnishings' 

mike

#33 Bigjeff

Bigjeff

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Landry

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Not really original but I just finished "A Storm Of Swords" and started "A Feast For Corws" books 3 & 4 in the " A Song Of Ice And Fire" series (Game Of Thrones)...love those books! :)

#34 DPNM

DPNM

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Sulli van

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

As one of my top 5 movies, I recently finished reading Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men".  The book could have been handed out to the actors as it was pretty much spot on to the movie.

I am also reading Ron Smith's "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls" trying to learn how to draw them. I have an older post in the Off Topic Lounge section on this forum where I was looking for pre-drawn scrolls. We'll see if I can learn how to do them myself.

#35 forthlin

forthlin

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Marquart

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

I just got Mat Irvine's Scale car modeling the other day. Lots of good articles & lot's of pictures..

#36 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I read a lot of e-books on my Kindle Fire....currently reading the new James Bond novel, 'Solo'.  Recently finished John Sandford's 'Storm Front' (long time writer of Minneapolis-area crime fiction).    I read a lot of crime fiction (Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, James Patterson, Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen, etc),  racing biographies (have ones on Gilles Villeneuve and Juan Manuel Fangio in the queue), auto industry-related histories/biographies (recently read Bob Lutz's Icons and Idiots), etc.   As a long-time Amazon.com customer, I love Kindle e-books...though I do miss having good local print bookstores--Barnes & Noble is ok, but I was 20 year Borders customer.    I read a lot of technical books related to my career, though the books tend to be out-of-date compared to what's on the internet in blogs.

#37 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I just finished reading a book about the Chrysler Turbine car and I'm about halfway through a book titled "Who,Me?" written in 1940 by Christopher Sensibaugh who was,in the 1930s, the editor of Automotive News.He talks about the auto industry's formative years and the people involved in it-many of whom were still alive when the book was printed.

#38 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

I just finished Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep" which is the sequel to his early work, "The Shining". It's about the boy from the first story, now a grown man. It was quite good. His best since Duma Key, in my opinion.

#39 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Cool responses.  Tony, do you know the title of the book about the Chrysler Turbines?  That sounds like a good read.

And that was my intent of this thread, to share some book info in the hope of getting some good recommendations.

My current read?   River Horse -  William Least Heat Moon.  This is a follow up to the book in my first post, Blue HIghways, which was about his travels around the USA in an old Ford van.  In River Horse, he is attempting to travel the length of the country, from New Jersey / New York Harbor across the entire country on inland water routes.  I'm only a few chapters in so far, but it's his same eloquent writing style that kept me riveted to the last book!     

#40 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

My current read?   River Horse -  William Least Heat Moon.  This is a follow up to the book in my first post, Blue HIghways, which was about his travels around the USA in an old Ford van.  In River Horse, he is attempting to travel the length of the country, from New Jersey / New York Harbor across the entire country on inland water routes.  I'm only a few chapters in so far, but it's his same eloquent writing style that kept me riveted to the last book!     

I've read both of those..great writing.  Have you read any of the travelogues by Bill Bryson?   An American who has lived in the UK for years...great stuff.

Edited by Rob Hall, 17 October 2013 - 10:54 AM.