Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing growing as we speak

I've only used Duplicolor and Rustolium silver. There was a thread on the BYO 3d printer forum and I believe It was stated you could use enamel, lacquer and acrylics. The Fun To Do resin website has a list of chemicals it is resistant to which include

• Alcohol/Ethylalcohol
  • Thinner
  • Hydrochloric acid and various other acids
  • Sulphuric acid
  • Acetone
  • Petrol
  • Isobutanol
  • Xyleen
  • Lamp oil / Motor oil / Olive oil / Brake fluid
  • It's acrylic based and takes paint just like resins from rtv mold casts.
Edited by my66s55

• 1 month later...

I can certainly understand why some would not want to get involved in 3d design or own their own printer, but certainly we can all reap the benefits of the technology in the form of available parts. You don't have to design or print the part yourself to take advantage of 3d printing. There are many people who will do the work for you or have already done the work and all you need to do is order the part just like you would a resin part. This is akin to resin casting, or printing decals. I don't have to have an art degree and an alps printer or be equipped to do screen prints. But I can still use good quality custom decals, I find one of the many sources for them and order them! Likewise, I don't have to have carve and sculpt parts, own a pressure pot and all the chemicals to cast resin to use resin parts, I can just find someone who is making what I need and order it. Right now 3d printing is a great way to get custom, low volume, low demand parts. It's only going to get more popular, but for now it's right there with resin and decals IMO.

You can get a mini 3d printer for $349...... Just need the scanner I guess.

That doesn't say much about the type of printer. It could be an fdm filament style printer or possibly a dlp stereolithographic top down kit. For that you would need a dlp projector unless you know how to modify a cheap suitable one. That will cost you in the $600 to $700 range.  My dlp projector ran me $607, but I didn't have to do any mods to it.

That doesn't say much about the type of printer. It could be an fdm filament style printer or possibly a dlp stereolithographic top down kit. For that you would need a dlp projector unless you know how to modify a cheap suitable one. That will cost you in the $600 to $700 range.  My dlp projector ran me $607, but I didn't have to do any mods to it.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2865762/xyzprinting-unveils-349-3d-printer-hi-res-machine.html

I know nothing about them, so this is what I read

Edited by Sledsel

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2865762/xyzprinting-unveils-349-3d-printer-hi-res-machine.html

I know nothing about them, so this is what I read

The article title is a little misleading. It starts out talking about their new stereolithographic machine for $1500 and then add at the bottom about the filament machine for $349.

By the way, if you read the article in bbowser's post, the writer tested the machine and said the quality was not as good as the more expensive Form 1.   The reason became clear in the article you posted. The cheaper printer has an xy axis resolution of 300 um. A good printer will have an xy resolution of 100 um or less.  

Now you know a little bit of information about 3d printers.

I didn't see this mentioned earlier, so I hope I'm not being repetitive....

HP has just introduced a bundled system called Sprout, which includes a scanner, 3D software and a Dremel 3D printer. $2699. 

If you don't want the printer, they offer 3rd party printing services. 

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...

Welp... I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on one of these.. https://printm3d.com/

I know the prints probably wont be super spectacular, shape-ways quality, but i have high hopes with the 15micron x-y and the 50micron z resolution.  But for 349.00 if it cuts down on scratch building time, it will be worth it.  They say 2-3 weeks for delivery.. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes.   The good news is I am a 3d designer by trade, so the modeling part should be easy for me.

On a 3D printing and modeling note... I recently purchased a set of wheels for my 1/24 scale rock crawler that were 3d printed off of another forum.. The quality was very impressive, and the ribbing basically went away with a coat of primer..   I asked this guy about his printer and it was an over 100k machine, same one shapeways use, however he ran it at max resolution settings, which shapeways will not due to time/profit. 

Anyway here are the photos.

F3C52D95-40F4-4E3F-8542-15BA24895507.jpg

089FA8E2-C189-41D3-A3EB-937403DA2548.jpg

985EA36A-BF07-4CF7-B9F3-BF57FE0177E6.jpg

201A06F0-EB8A-4689-BC8D-213226BD3840.jpg

31AD409C-C29F-4707-AEE1-82066F750842.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Oh i didn't make those... haha.. the guy with 100K+ machine did...    I fairly confident the 349.00 machine wont be able to pull off prints of that quality. But i will show examples when i get it, and get it up and running.  I'm working on modeling a Chrysler 2.4 Turbo engine that will be will first print... stay tuned..

• 1 month later...

I was just listening to a radioprogram called Proglogg, a program with Prog Rock as its main subject. The host was talking about the Prog Awards 2015 held last weekend and the band that won the Vanguard prize was Purson: http://www.purson.co.uk/

In a small interview from the awardsshow they said that their latest album (on sale soon I believe) is going to have a code in it that gives you the possibilty of downloading a file from wich you can 3d print the band members genitalia!!!:o

Not really modelrelated, I know, but 3d printing is clearly with us as we speak:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I heard my first-ever mass-media commercial for 3-D printing... a radio commercial for a local company that offers it. Yep, when the ads start appearing in mass media, the product and/or service is definitely here... and in the mainstream.

All of you guys who were so sure that 3-D printing was some sort of fairy tale that wouldn't arrive for years, if ever... guess again.

...In a small interview from the awardsshow they said that their latest album (on sale soon I believe) is going to have a code in it that gives you the possibilty of downloading a file from wich you can 3d print the band members genitalia!!!:o

Ah, the truly awesome power of technology to propel us into a far, far better future is simply mind-boggling.;)

This morning I heard my first-ever mass-media commercial for 3-D printing... a radio commercial for a local company that offers it. Yep, when the ads start appearing in mass media, the product and/or service is definitely here... and in the mainstream.

All of you guys who were so sure that 3-D printing was some sort of fairy tale that wouldn't arrive for years, if ever... guess again.

Yes, when the marketing mavens get a hold of something, it's a sure sign it's arrived. A new mainstream opportunity to add cost to a product without adding any value whatsoever.B)

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting tidbit I learned last night from a friend that work at Sabic here in Pittsfield ... Sabic bought GE Plastics a few years ago who had their headquarters here. I designed the foundations for a huge injection molding machine there that is just for companies to try out their plastic pellets .... machine was 2nd largest in the country.

Now I'm told they have the largest 3D Printer in the country that uses their plastic again. They printed a whole car body with it .. that's a 1:1 CAR BODY! Said to have taken a week to do it. Wish I knew more about it but being retired I never get in there any more.

I was just listening to a radioprogram called Proglogg, a program with Prog Rock as its main subject. The host was talking about the Prog Awards 2015 held last weekend and the band that won the Vanguard prize was Purson: http://www.purson.co.uk/

In a small interview from the awardsshow they said that their latest album (on sale soon I believe) is going to have a code in it that gives you the possibilty of downloading a file from wich you can 3d print the band members genitalia!!!:o

Not really modelrelated, I know, but 3d printing is clearly with us as we speak:lol:

What???? That's just nuts!!!

• 1 month later...

the ribbing basically went away with a coat of primer..

985EA36A-BF07-4CF7-B9F3-BF57FE0177E6.jpg

Sorry, being honest here, the texture of the printed media is still very clearly visible on the spokes and the wheel "hoop." If this is the best currently possible printing resolution, it still falls short of a wheel molded in a polished mold, where no texture is visible where it shouldn't be. There is still a ways to go before the price is affordable to the average consumer and the printing resolution is fine enough that anyone with 20/20 vision can no loner see any surface texture on the part.

Sincerely,

Debbie Downer

:lol:

Sorry, being honest here, the texture of the printed media is still very clearly visible on the spokes and the wheel "hoop." If this is the best currently possible printing resolution, it still falls short of a wheel molded in a polished mold, where no texture is visible where it shouldn't be. There is still a ways to go before the price is affordable to the average consumer and the printing resolution is fine enough that anyone with 20/20 vision can no loner see any surface texture on the part.

Sincerely,

Debbie Downer

:lol:

completely understand...  and agree...  the $349.00 printer I purchased has been sitting dormant for several months for this reason.   I will eventually find its niche, but for now its reserved to complex shapes, then adding the detail back in by hand.  Sometimes its easier/cleaner to just scratch-build than even bother with it.   I have no doubt the technology will get there...just not quite yet.... Its still a fun toy tho

Debbie Downer x 2   hahaha

Edited by Impalow