Jeremy Jon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Jon

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

in 3D printing something 1/24 scale, there are a few variables

first being of course the rendering, it could be as complex as you'd like, but may not translate to the printed object, as printers are limited to (depending on the specific machine) a degree of resolution

in some cases, it actually helps to compromise to degree of detail which is possible to print, and sometimes either increase or decrease the feature so that it "appears" well in the final result, as some fine details simply disappear in the making

second, the material chosen can be a limiting factor, I prefer to always use the finest material choice possible, with shapeways that is their FUD, an ultra-fine material

third is printing direction, this is not something you can presently control easily if outsourcing, like with shapeways, they will print in any one of the three axis, depending on the technician who processes the order

the reason is that there will definitely be a grain in the final item, that is where a degree of finishing prep is required, sometimes simply a layer of primer to fill in the grain steps texture, and why I always choose the finest material to print

fourth is the machine & provider, many home based 3D printers are a work in progress, and though some produce fine results, you'll often find it is through much effort & trail to achieve, where as the market place 3D printing vendors have of course higher quality printers, but trust me when I say that they are definitely NOT all created equal, in pricing, service, or especially shipping

I've tried a few now, and still for ease I use shapeways, at least until someone can beat or match them in price & service

this example is a 1/24 tires, designed to the limit of their resolution, and printed in FUD material

1476137_546419838785063_1947721512_n.jpg

ok but the thing is, in most of the websites linked to the photos from that google search, there are a lot of objects that I cannot really tell how big they are, and the ones that you can, like the miniature Eiffel tower, its a subject that lends itself to a straight line sort of process that hides the problems with the three D printers. can you show me an image of a 1/24 scale say engine block with a smooth polished surface, or at least a very subtle only realistic casting look to it?

im not saying this isn't possible because I think this technology has a big big promise for the future; I am just saying in my experience I haven't seen really nice small scale detailed parts, particularly not in person where it is easier to judge exactly what it is you are looking at.

jb

Edited by Jeremy Jon, 31 October 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#262 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

I would like to see that tire with some primer on it so it would be easier to judge the surface. thanks for posting that!

jb

#263 Jeremy Jon

Jeremy Jon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Jon

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

No problem, this is how the same tires looks painted (photo a bit dusty)

1486745_546420362118344_2069764318_n.jpg

I would like to see that tire with some primer on it so it would be easier to judge the surface. thanks for posting that!

jb

#264 English Jules

English Jules

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Julian Hales

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

I scratch built a correct Push bar for a NYPD (and other) Charger for the Lindberg kit, as its totally different to the kit one.  Would it be possible to get it looking good with a 3d printer? or would it have to be in resin.

Also how easy is the software to use?    I want to make some US traffic lights, road signs etc etc.  

#265 English Jules

English Jules

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Julian Hales

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

This is the one i scratch built.  Could it be printed as good as in resin?  https://www.flickr.c...157648502911299

#266 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,623 posts
  • Full Name:^^^^

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

On a less serious note...

3dprinter_zpsfc5f0185.jpg

#267 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

I scratch built a correct Push bar for a NYPD (and other) Charger for the Lindberg kit, as its totally different to the kit one.  Would it be possible to get it looking good with a 3d printer? or would it have to be in resin.

Also how easy is the software to use?    I want to make some US traffic lights, road signs etc etc.  

You really need to go back about 12 pages in this thread to see what's involved with learning the software.

#268 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

http://www.computerw...b54f4d1e59068da

Review of another desktop printer.  The pace is picking up......

#269 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

I've got stacks of model car kits to build, so I doubt that the 3D printer will have any effect on me.