#1 berr13

berr13

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Full Name:James Berry

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have brat fingers, so I'm always dropping parts on the carpet (I sometimes believe I could finish a model in half the time if I wasn't always bent over picking up stuff off the floor).  Anyway, recently I dropped a clear backup light lens on the carpet, and figured I was outta luck--you know how small those are.  Instead, I used some Scotch packing tape (the clear stuff, about 2" wide).  I made a loop from the tape, sticky side out, big enough to fit over four fingers, and started gently patting the carpet.  To my amazement, I found the part in about thirty seconds.  This technique may be common knowledge, but l thought it worth repeating...

#2 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I read about a guy who made a bench apron of sorts out of an old shirt or something. It tacked to the edge of his bench and tied around his waist to make a big basket to catch those pesky runaway parts. My problem is flying parts. I cut something and bing! Lost until I've scratch built a replacement and find it stuck to the wall or something.

Dale

#3 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Cut them inside of a 1 gallon ziplock bag...

#4 kratvmnd

kratvmnd

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Full Name:Albert Frank

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

One that's always worked great is a piece of nylon rubber banded around the end of a vacuum hose. Sometimes you'll find parts you never knew were missing..

#5 PappyD340

PappyD340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Dailey

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

Those are some great ideas guys I'm making notes, I hate those parts that sprout wings!!  ;) 

#6 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

One that's always worked great is a piece of nylon rubber banded around the end of a vacuum hose. Sometimes you'll find parts you never knew were missing..

Best idea ever! This is one of those " why didn't I think of that?"

#7 raildogg

raildogg

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Full Name:Richard A Rozzi

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

I sometime use a flashlight at about 10 degrees of the plane of the floor. It catches the edge of the parts almost immediately and shows a pretty profile of the piece and, bob's your uncle, there it is!

#8 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

I read about a guy who made a bench apron of sorts out of an old shirt or something. It tacked to the edge of his bench and tied around his waist to make a big basket to catch those pesky runaway parts.

But I just know I would head for the kitchen for a coffee and take the hobby table with me....

#9 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,559 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

I have used the tape before and it works great.....

#10 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

I read about a guy who made a bench apron of sorts out of an old shirt or something. It tacked to the edge of his bench and tied around his waist to make a big basket to catch those pesky runaway parts. My problem is flying parts. I cut something and bing! Lost until I've scratch built a replacement and find it stuck to the wall or something.

I could just  see me doing that apron trick.  I'd forget, get up and pull my entire workbench to the ground!  :rolleyes:

For small parts that seem like they'd fly, I stick them to masking tape before cutting. Especially photo etch!

#11 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

I just got rid of the carpet. Bare concrete floor.