#23 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

Awesome; another story teller.  I really think this lends another dimension to the build.  It sound like this is an ongoing theme.  Do you have other excerpts posted somewhere?  I'd like to get more of the back-story, if there is one.

Oh yeah!  You posted a model too :P

Seriously, I like this kit and what you've done with it.  Bold choice with that color combo.  I had doubts myself until the masking came off.  Looks good!

I look forward to seeing (and reading more).

Edited by Shardik, 16 October 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#24 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Siesicki

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks guys!

Johann, I have been doing this type of build for about 4 years now.  I find that it gives me a little bit more of an incentive to build a model that has "meaning", versus just building a model.  My influence for writing comes from the late author Robert B. Parker, the creator of the very popular Spenser novels.  The first model I built (2006 Ford Mustang GT) with a story to it was more of an introduction to some of the characters than a story.  The second story (2006 Dodge Charger R/T) was a more defined story and it has been growing ever since.  I purposely keep the stories short as to not overwhelm the WIP and to keep the focus on the build, but sometimes I fear that the interest from readers may be more for the story than the build.  I am grateful that my stories are getting some notice and I hope that the build will please their eyes as well.

McNally's back story has really not been told until now and it is just one of the many facets to my character.  There will be others down the road as I continue building.  As long as there are models that I can incorporate into a story, there will be more stories to tell.  And, I have as least one other character that I wrote a story for who might make a reappearance someday that is not related to McNally, Boston PI.

#25 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Michael, I think you put just the right amount of story in with your builds.  I don't know about everyone else but, I enjoy watching your stories unfold along with the WIPs.  They compliment each other nicely.

Edited by Skydime, 16 October 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#26 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

I followed the same aproach with "Seamus McKinney's Truck".  Start with the story then use the model to "flesh it out".

#27 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

The Story

McNally's father was becoming more and more absent from young McNally’s life.  He almost never saw him on the job or in the station house.  His father started running around with drunken floozies and once, when young McNally did see his father at work, he thought he could smell alcohol on his father’s breath.  He confronted him at home about his drinking and his father got mad and tried to throw a punch at his son.  The punch thrown was slow and misguided as the elder McNally missed and lost his footing.

“You are so drunk that you can barely stand,” says young McNally.

“I can take you…anytime,” his father yells at him.

“You can’t even stand up and look me in the eye, Dad!”

His father was on his knees and elbows, with his forehead touching the floor.  He was breathing very hard.  His body goes limp as he passes out and falls flat on the floor.

“Stay there and sleep it off, old man!” 

McNally grabs his jacket and leaves the house, frustrated and angry. 

The Build

I started polishing the paint only to rub through the paint on the trunk lid.  I taped off the trunk lid and resprayed it.

57Custom13.jpg

I had to top the engine with some chrome so I painted the air filters with gloss black enamel and then sprayed them with Alclad II Chrome Paint.

57Custom14.jpg

I decided to paint the interior with Humbrol Dragoon Green.  When this has dried, I'll apply the gray decals to the seats.

57Custom15.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike, 20 October 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#28 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Michael this is looking really great.

#29 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

Love the colors in the interior!!!!

#30 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

That shade of green should look great with the grey decals....

#31 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

Thanks Richard, Kerry, and Carl.  I'm not 100% happy with the interior color as I think it may be a tad too light.  Maybe I can darken it a bit.  If not, then I'll just add the decals to the seats and door panel and seal it with some semi gloss clear.

#32 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

I'm not sure how it wil look in the car but the colors alone are a pretty kool tone. I think I'm gonna pick some of that up myself.....

#33 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

l think inside the car Mike it will appear darker ..

#34 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Great Progress!

Real Nice Colors... B)

#35 Wonderbread Kustomz

Wonderbread Kustomz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts
  • Full Name:James Evans

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

I love the colors and the interior has just the perfect shade that matches quite well!

#36 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

l think inside the car Mike it will appear darker ..

Kind of what I was thinking too. Still love that shade of green. I'm doing a 62 Bel Aire wagon that would look good with that as the interior color....

#37 Scalper

Scalper

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Full Name:Andre

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Looking good. I like the colours. great kit had fun with mine.

#38 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

The Story

With less than a month remaining as a Patrol Officer, McNally was driving with his partner, Peter Jesliska.  Peter and McNally had been partners for seven months and Peter had been talking trash about having to break in a new partner.  McNally laughed and said that Peter had it all wrong; he had broke Peter into the job!

The call over the radio alerted McNally.  “Officer down!  Need back up!  Officer shot!  Send an ambulance to Faneuil Hall Market Place!”  He turned the cruiser around and headed to Faneuil Hall with lights and siren going. 

“Unit 374 responding,” Peter says into the microphone.

“Acknowledged Unit 374,” the dispatcher replied.

When they arrived, McNally’s worst fears had been realized…his father had been shot.

The Build

With the exception of touchups, painting the trans, and aircleaners, the engine is almost complete.

57Custom16.jpg

After cleaning up the exhaust and noticing the mounting pins on the end of the pipes, I decided to add a couple of tips from the Revell 2006 Mustang that I didn't use. Since the pins are a larger diameter than the holes in the tips, I drilled out the tips to accept the larger pins.

57Custom17.jpg

57Custom18.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike, 26 October 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#39 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Ahart

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

Should be really great when you're finished. Beautiful colors. I love the '57 Fords!  

#40 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Gene!

The Story

The EMTs arrived and applied bandages to the bleeding wounds and placed Sgt. McNally on a gurney and briskly moved him over to the ambulance.  They load up and close the doors on Off. McNally who runs over to his cruiser and tries to follow the ambulance with Peter yelling for him to stop and let him in, which he does and then they race over to Mass. General Hospital.  McNally is forced to wait in the waiting room while his father is being treated and the wait seemed to take forever.  Finally the ER doctor comes out looking for young Officer McNally and announces that they couldn't save him and his father died from his wounds.  Sgt. McNally's superior comes into the ER and is told the sad news and he orders young Officer McNally and Officer Jeliska back to the station.

The Build

I got the decals applied this morning and will coat them with semi gloss clear tomorrow.

57Custom19.jpg

Tonight, I foiled the body with BMF.  What a difference a little foil makes!

57Custom20.jpg

57Custom21.jpg

McNally will return...