mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Siesicki

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Carl and John!

John, I do thank you for those kind words.  I had written this as a back story for my McNally character since all of my short stories have occurred within the current time frame and I wanted to show how McNally became the PI that he is.  I was originally going to use the AMT '56 Fairlane until I got my hands on the Revell '57 Ford.  I then knew that this would have been the better car for McNally's father.  For me, the story gives me additional inspiration for build a model and to build it in a certain way.  Whether any of the current magazines are willing to pick up this idea and run with it, is IMHO, one that will not happen.  I doubt that they (the magazines) would want to devote several pages to a story when they would rather have articles about building models instead.  But, if it did happen, I would seriously consider having one of my short stories printed.

#62 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

Perhaps if it was done as installments...along with some pictures of your build?

#63 Geno

Geno

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Mills

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Man I am so lovin' this build. Fantastic job so far. B)

#64 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Perhaps if it was done as installments...along with some pictures of your build?

I suppose that might work!  

Thanks Geno!

The Story

McNally meets with Zachy who tells him that a small-time pimp called Deano Potzinc had his father killed for investigating his operation and talking to his girls.  McNally thanks Zachy and palms him a twenty dollar bill for his efforts.  Two weeks after laying his father to rest, McNally is called into Police Captain Lessing's office and is told to stay away from the investigation of his fathers death.  He is read the same riot act when he reports to the Burglary-Robbery Division from Lt. Det. Ferris...stay away from the investigation.  But, this doesn't stop the young detective from investigating on his own time.

The Build

The steering wheel, column and tach are finally mounted into the interior.

57Custom31.jpg

The engine compartment is complete with a wired engine and wired battery.

57Custom33.jpg

The completed chassis.

57Custom32.jpg

McNally will return.

Edited by mrmike, 08 November 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#65 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:25 AM

The Story

In the two months following his fathers's death, McNally has gotten no where with his investigation and trying to stay out of the way of Homicide and Vice investigations has been no easy task.  He is finally called into the office of Vice Lt. Det. Durasie for a meeting with him, Lt. Ferris, and ADA Jack Brown.  His investigation has been noted and they are offering McNally a chance to officially work the case...as bait to draw out Deano Potzinc, a deal that McNally readily agrees to.  McNally is set into play with him being abducted two days later by Potzinc's crew.  He is bound and blindfolded and brought to an abandoned warehouse that Potzinc calls his home.

The Build

The glass and rear view mirror has been installed.

57Custom34.jpg

Along the way, I snapped the cowl while polishing the body.  The cowl will be glued to the firewall once the chassis has been installed.

57Custom35.jpg

With the chassis installed, I can glue the cowl down and hopefully clean up the windshield molding.

57Custom36.jpg

McNally will return...

#66 66belair

66belair

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Boyle

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

Sorry to hear about the cowl,that sucks when you are so close to finishing it. The car is looking beautiful though.

#67 Geno

Geno

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Mills

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Drool, Mike, I love this car, it is super sweet. I can't wait to see it done. :wub:  B)  :D

#68 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Great work as always, Mike! That '57 Ford is a beautiful body style and your color choices couldn't be better for this one. Nice detail work too, my favorite is that red Line Lock button on the shifter, only few modelers remember to add that one on their builds. Great work.

#69 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

Thanks Mike, Gene, and Niko.  I wondered if anyone would notice the Line Lock button on the shifter handle.  Good catch!

The Story

Potzinc tells McNally that he is getting too close to his operation and that he will pay for that intrusion by having him killed.  McNally announces that Potzinc is under arrest for the murder of Sgt. Raymond McNally...a code phrase that brings in a squad of Police officers with armor and automatic weapons yelling for everyone to surrender.  Potzinc and his crew split up into different directions with many being captured.  One of Potzinc's crew runs up to McNally and cuts the rope tying his hands and says that he is an undercover officer and to get after Potzinc who is running up the stairs to the roof.  McNally runs after Potzinc and when he reaches the roof top door, a shot hits the doorway and he rolls out behind an AC unit on the roof.  

Police at the fire escape yell for Potzinc to put down his gun and to surrender.  

Potzinc responds by running towards McNally, firing his snub-nose .38 and screaming at the top of his lungs with McNally coming around from the opposite side of the AC unit and tackling Potzinc, apprehending the criminal.  After placing Potzinc into a squad car, McNally seeks out the UC who untied his hands, thanking him for his help and asking his name, to which the UC replies, "Troy, Det. Adam Troy".

The Build

I started by adding the rear bumper and the exhaust tips.

57Custom37.jpg

It's starting to look like a '57 Ford with the addition of the grille.

57Custom38.jpg

I tried to carefully smooth the snapped cowl and added a piece of foil on the molding.

57Custom39.jpg

McNally will return...

#70 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

The Story

After spending part of the night at BPD headquarters filling out reports and being questioned by other detectives, McNally was quite tired when he arrived home.  The sun was just coming up when he climbed the porch steps and he sees a potted plant sitting in front of the door.  A card nestled amongst the flowers read,   

“My son, I am sorry to hear of your father’s passing.  I know of no words that could help ease the pain of your heart and help you to feel better.  I wish I could be there for you, but I can’t.  May these flowers help you during your time of sorrow.  As always, you are in my heart.                                                           

Love, Mom”

The Build

A day off from work gave me an opportunity to work on the Ford this morning.  I went in search of the remaining lenses only to find that they have gone missing.  An exhaustive search turned up nothing, so I dove into my parts box and found a set of headlight lenses.  But, I still needed to find a set of parking light lenses.

57Custom40.jpg

With ingenuity being the mother of invention, I took a piece of clear acetate and cut out a set of parling light lenses.

57Custom41.jpg

Alhough they are not very visible, I think I'll add a white wash to help bring out the lens.

57Custom42.jpg

McNally will return...

#71 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Very nice, Mike. Those lenses and wash look good.

I love how the story is wrapping up, too.

Charlie Larkin

#72 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Charlie!  I should have Spearmint completed by tomorrow morning.  And, the story should be neatly wrapped up as well. 

#73 wrecker388

wrecker388

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Full Name:Riley Schultz

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Awesome story and model!

#74 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I have a custom grill on my '57 - you can have the parking lights if you want them...

Great looking model!

#75 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Riley and Erik!  

The Story

"That was the last time you heard from your mother," asks Vic?  "Other than the occasional birthday or Christmas card, yeah."  "I'm surprised that a PI of your caliber can't find her," replies Vic. "Boston's high society is a very well protected community.  I keep looking for a way in from time to time, but I haven't been able to find it yet,"says McNally.  Now that lunch is over, they both agree to get back to working on the old Ford.  The new coil is installed and the engine roars to life.  Vic gives McNally a dealer plate so he can drive the car around until he can get it registered and inspected.  Vic turns towards his friend and says, "If I haven't said it, I'm sorry about your Dad."  "Thank you Vic.  It means a lot coming from you." 

The Build

I have finished my '57 Ford Custom that I also call "Spearmint" and it is posted in Under Glass.  I would like to thank all those who took the time to view and to comment on my WIP.