#161 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I'd just like to see some market research that scientifically (SP?) tries to disect whether people are buying these kits in color more because it's just what's available or because they want it in color.

The mail order houses could do that easily. They offer both kits, and some people are willingly choosing the color ones, so it's not just because that's all that is there.

#162 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Frankly, I've never had a problem priming and sealing off plastic pigment against final color coats, so my childhood preference for colored plastic has run intact right into adulthood.  You often get a better preview of a finished product that way.

One of the key appeals of a typically molded-in-color Tamiya kit is that it comes across as a grown-up, idealized version of the Monogram kits I loved as a kid.

#163 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:None necessary

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

The mail order houses could do that easily. They offer both kits, and some people are willingly choosing the color ones, so it's not just because that's all that is there.

That's kind of on the lines of what I was thinking.  I would like to see what kind of percentages fall into each camp.

The kit that really got me thinking of this is the Christine reissue.  I see all kinds of people on here talk about how they got the white one from Hobby Lobby.  But out of about 10 that I have been in since the kit came out, there were absolutely no white ones but, tons of red ones.

It's all fine and good that some people want to buy kits molded in color...certainly helps entice younger builders and less experienced builders.  But if it's molded in both, then I would assume that someone that chooses "molded in color" wants to leave it that color most of the time.  It would be nice if there were a cellaphane window on the box so the buyer could see if there are swirls, etc. in the plastic, just like prepainted kits.

I definitely want one of those white Baldwin Camaro kits.

Edited by Skydime, 20 January 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#164 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

There are a couple AMT & MPC reissues that had previously been mentioned for '13 that I'm not seeing listed here (besides the Demon)--the '57 Ford Fairlane 

I think Round2 briefly had this box art displayed on the AMT homepage at least a year ago, but it disappeared quickly, so maybe it'll appear next year?

#165 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

I think Round2 briefly had this box art displayed on the AMT homepage at least a year ago, but it disappeared quickly, so maybe it'll appear next year:

IIRC, I saw something like this on their site last year...

7150099405_ccf568c3bd_m.jpg

#166 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

You're right, it was that one.

#167 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

I don't care Which, All I care, is Most if not ALL Original parts are returned!!!!!

Especially those Globe Spotlights!

#168 garryrenfro

garryrenfro

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Full Name:Garry

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

I don't care Which, All I care, is Most if not ALL Original parts are returned!!!!!

Especially those Globe Spotlights!

I would love to see this, along with the '57 Chevy and '57 Thunderbird reissued with all the custom parts. 

#169 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Must be taking full advantage of the Pepsi license for reissuing the City Delivery truck with Pepsi logos.

Indeed.

mpc807.jpg

Looks like the 1/25 AMT '70 Chevelle SS is being reissued in "Silver Screen" packaging as a tie-in to the Jack Reacher movie(s), too:

AMT871-2.jpg?1389774160

#170 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Indeed.

mpc807.jpg

Looks like the 1/25 AMT '70 Chevelle SS is being reissued in "Silver Screen" packaging as a tie-in to the Jack Reacher movie(s), too:

AMT871-2.jpg?1389774160

Let's just hope that they don't issue it in red.

#171 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

I'd like to see them do a correct Red Alert 70 Chevelle, complete with retro box art.

#172 Force

Force

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Full Name:Håkan Persson

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Amen to that.

#173 69NovaYenko

69NovaYenko

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Little

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Looks like the 1/25 AMT '70 Chevelle SS is being reissued in "Silver Screen" packaging as a tie-in to the Jack Reacher movie:

AMT871-2.jpg?1389774160

I`m excited that the `70 Chevelle SS is being finally reissued.

In ever respect Chevy`s `70 Chevelle SS LS-6 is the finniest example of what a later era American muscle should be.. IMHO! :wub:

All you Mopar, Ford and AMC enthusiast out there refrain from sending me hate mail...please. :D

My question is will this be a  reissue of the old  but very popular (and from what I have heard profitable $$) AMT "Red Alert" drag car?

2jpg-AMT-RedAlertKits.jpg

redalert01.jpg

IN NOVEMBER OF 1969 DRAG RACER BOB HAMILTON ORDERED A BRIGHT RED 1970 LS-6 CHEVELLE, AND LOADED IT UP WITH ALL THE OPTIONS. UPON ARRIVAL HE GAVE IT TO HIS WIFE DOROTHY AS A VALENTINE'S PRESENT. A SHORT YEAR LATER DOROTHY RELUCTANTLY TURNED OVER THE KEYS TO HER "GROCERY GETTER" CHEVELLE TO HER HUSBAND  BOB HAMILTON FOR WHAT WOULD TURN INTO ONE OF THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS CAREERS OF ANY CAR OF THE ERA. BECAUSE OF THE ON GOING COLD WAR WITH THE SOVIET UNION, IT WAS DECIDED TO NAME THE NEW RACER "RED ALERT.”

MUCH OF THE CAR`S POPULARITY CAME FROM IT"S DOMINATING PERFORMANCE THE FOLLOWING YEAR 1971 WHEN IT BECAME THE S/DA CLASS RECORD HOLDER WITH AN E.T. OF 10.75 SECONDS AT 123 M.P.H.. “RED ALERT” WOULD GO ON TO SET AND HOLD THE TRACK RECORD AT NEW JERSEY`S ISLAND DRAGWAY FOR OVER TWO YEARS RUNNING. BOB HAMILTON MOVED TO FLORIDA IN 1974, WHERE HE CONTINUED TO RACE “RED ALERT” UNTIL 1976, WHERE IN IT’S LAST SEASON, BOB AND “RED ALERT” TOOK HOME TOP STOCK ELIMINATOR 14 OUT OF 16 TIMES.

IN LATE 1971, WHILE COMPETING IN THE HIGHLY CONTESTED NHRA SS/DA CLASS, THE AMT TOY MODEL COMPANY TOOK NOTICE OF “RED ALERT”. SOON “RED ALERT” WAS AN AMT MODEL. AMT QUICKLY HAD A SALES BONANZA AS “RED ALERT” WENT ON TO BECOME AMT'S ALL-TIME SALES LEADER.. SALES WERE SO GOOD THAT AMT RE-RELEASED “RED ALERT” TWO MORE TIMES.

DURING THE 1990s, UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP ,TERRY CARNEY AND BILL STEPHENSON, "RED ALERT"  BEGAN TAKING PART IN VARIOUS NOSTALGIA DRAG RACING EVENTS, “RED ALERT” ONCE AGAIN TOOK ON THE HEAVY HITTERS OF OLD, SUCH AS RONNIE SOX AND HIS SOX/MARTIN 426 HEMI CUDA. DURING THIS TIME, “RED ALERT” WAS STILL SO POPULAR THAT THE ERTL COMPANY TWICE RELEASED IT’S OWN DIE-CAST VERSION OF "RED ALERT".

1.jpg

The one thing that was never represented correctly was the  door for the hood cowl induction. It was cast into the hood..in other words it was in the closed position on all the AMT/ETRL renditions. The cowl induction door/flap should be "OPEN" not closed.

Please note the below info is from Rick Nelson of Muscle Car Restoration & Design in Pleasant Plains Illinois. He is one of the major go-to guys when it comes to `70 Chevelle SS LS-6 restorations:

Subject:   RE: Cowl Induction Flapper

Date:   October 5, 2011 7:53:49 AM CDT

The flapper should be open when the car is not running due to no vacuum at the vacuum pod so the pod is at rest. When the car is started, vacuum is applied to the vacuum pod which pulls the flapper shut. At wide open throttle there is a lack of vacuum which again allows the flapper to open and allows air to flow in. There is also an electrical switch that should be mounted on the accelerator pedal. When the pedal is pushed down it triggers the switch which runs through a relay mounted on the firewall and powers the electric solenoid mounted up inside the round air cleaner opening of the hood. This opens the plastic door allowing all that incoming air to get into the carb.There should also be a small in line vacuum delay mounted on a vacuum hose that runs between the rear manifold vacuum port and the vacuum pod on the hood. This is designed to open the flapper quickly when necessary but bleeds back the vacuum at a slower rate so that the door does not slam shut.

Note the two reference photos of the hood cowl induction flap/door in the "OPEN"position:

332737-RE-2.jpg

tn_DSCF3238.jpg

4-CowlOpen.jpg

Revell release of the `70 Chevelle stock 454 SS got it right...however the kit was issued in 1/24 scale...darn.

I am hoping AMT would "correct" this oversight in the new issuance of this iconic American Muscle Car. 

Has there been a release date set yet?

Edited by 69NovaYenko, 09 February 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#174 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

My question is will this be a  reissue of the old  but very popular (and from what I have heard profitable $$) AMT "Red Alert" drag car?

Has there been a release date set yet?

Yes, this kit is what remains of the '70/'72 tooling. IIRC it started out as a '70, then was updated to a '72, then changed back to a '70 in the '90s(?). 

http://www.modelcars...=66177&p=828365

I haven't seen a release date yet, but probably late spring/early summer 2014.

#175 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Yes, this kit is what remains of the '70/'72 tooling. IIRC it started out as a '70, then was updated to a '72, then changed back to a '70 in the '90s(?). 

I haven't seen a release date yet, but probably late spring/early summer 2014.

I assume it will be the same as it was issued in the '90s but w/ different box art and maybe new tires.  IIRC, it has the chassis w/ the driveshaft molded in like the '69 kit and some rather ugly custom wheels as an option.

#176 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Question is will this kit have the racing stripes.

#177 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Wasn't there a 1971 annual of the Chevelle from AMT as well ? I could swear that I've seen them from time-to-time on eBay , and typically at Sothbey's Auction prices ...

#178 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Wasn't there a 1971 annual of the Chevelle from AMT as well ? I could swear that I've seen them from time-to-time on eBay , and typically at Sothbey's Auction prices ...

Yes, back in '71.  I was 1 yr old then, missed out on that issue.. :)

I picked up a restorable '71 MPC a while back, and also have an AMT Motor City Stocker '70 curbside kit.

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 February 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#179 69NovaYenko

69NovaYenko

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Little

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

IIRC, it has the chassis w/ the driveshaft molded in like the '69 kit and some rather ugly custom wheels as an option.

I vaguely recall hearing from someone that the AMT `69 Olds W-30 442 kit had a nicely detailed chassis  (separate drive-shaft etc) and it was a viable swop out for the Chevelle's original one piece chassis since they were both A-body G.M.`s. .

This is just some chatter I heard while hanging around my LHS several years ago, maybe one of the more knowledgeable members could shed more light on the matter.

P.S.

Thanks for the informational link Casey.

Edited by 69NovaYenko, 09 February 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#180 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Yes, back in '71.  I was 1 yr old then, missed out on that issue.. :)

I picked up a restorable '71 MPC a while back, and also have an AMT Motor City Stocker '70 curbside kit.

I , too , was only one year old in 1971  !

Here's an AMT 1971 Chevelle annual :

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c3c63e1f3

and at a buck-fifty (plus shipping) , it's a bit out of my financial range ...

(as a side note ; my first memory occoured on today's date -- 9th Feb -- in 1971 : the Sylmar Earthquake . It started at 0600 HRS . I was 10 months old ; I can still visualise my mother picking me up from my crib , and diving with me (like she was holding a football :D )under the diningroom table ! )