Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST

OK, I am a moron for believing the person working the ticket booth.  I just went to research where the other Star Cars museums are located.  I found out that this is the only one.  In fact, George Barris does own part of this business, that much was true.  And I also found that most of the cars there really were used, at some point, in the associated tv shows or movies.

#22 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

I scared the heck out of my wife there.  I made her go up the stairs first and made sure to goose her in the back a little when the lights came on.  :lol:   (You know what I mean by "the lights" ;)  )

Hey that's not funny man! I hear a grown man almost wet himself when that thing went off! :rolleyes: 

John in post 17 you mentioned "In an adolescent way..." ;) Guy that's the best part! ^_^ 

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 03 October 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#23 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

I've met George a couple of times. First time was in St Paul. I placed with his rendition of the Crusin USA merc in the Custom class. This is from my trip to LA a few years back.Picture029.jpg

Guess what was in the garage at the time.

]Picture023.jpg

Also John Schnieder's General Lee was in for some work.

Picture021.jpg

#24 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Mercman, you know that wasn't "the" Batmobile, don't you?  (Look at the black windshield moldings) I think this is the Return To The Batcave replica, which Barris has owned for years.

#25 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

]Picture023.jpg

That purple hearse...Is that.....Shadow from the Twisted Metal games?  :blink:     Oh if they make that into a movie. :o  -It would be sooo cool.

#26 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Mercman, you know that wasn't "the" Batmobile, don't you?  (Look at the black windshield moldings) I think this is the Return To The Batcave replica, which Barris has owned for years.

yeah i know that, it was a parade version they use. It has a FM Stereo unit in it. But it was great all the same.

#27 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Here is a pic of the hearse. It was on the show with Hef's girlfriends. They used it on Halloween. Not sure if it was ever in a movie or not.

Picture019.jpg

Also in the shop at the time was John Schnieder's General Lee, to be touched up.

Picture021.jpg

#28 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

I have always been a fan of gene winfield myself.

#29 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

For those who have never seen Sam Barris' famous Merc, here it is. This was done in '49 with a new vehicle. One could say he was among those that started it all, and was the hands-on customizer of the family.

1949SamBarrisMercury_zpsb57db943.jpg

0812rc_27_z1949_mercury_coupesam_barris_

0812rc_14_z1949_mercury_coupesam_barris_

#30 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Heres a couple of pics I got of Sams Merc at the NHRA museum a few years back.
Picture339.jpg
Picture340.jpg

#31 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Sams Mercury is one of the few chopped Mercs I like. Awesome color and a tasteful chop. 

Most shop owners get credit for what the others do. 

I must have missed the shows when Foose did anything but stand in front the camera. Wait, he does do the art work (yes art is a skill must of us do not have) still not the same as doing the metal work and painting.

#32 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think it was Sam Barris that built the Hiroshima?? Mercury.

. Hirohata_merc.jpg

Close. It's Hirohata, after the original owner, Bob Hirohata. More on the car can be found here http://www.kustomram...'s_1951_Mercury

#33 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Gee whillikers...I sure wish they still made babes like that. I'd forget how old I am and make a real fool of myself.

As far as George Barris goes, he WAS the real deal and had his hands on a lot of the early cars that defined the "kustom" look on the left coast. He also wrote how-to columns for the early car rags, and he's often photographed actually doing the work...welding, leading, grinding etc.

Like a lot of folks who make it, he became much more involved over time in the promotional aspects of the business than the actual work. And like many artists, the quality and attractiveness of his credited designs have highs and lows ...and I agree, there are a few instances where the actual deserved 'credit' for a particular car is somewhat cloudy.

#34 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

I must have missed the shows when Foose did anything but stand in front the camera. Wait, he does do the art work (yes art is a skill must of us do not have) still not the same as doing the metal work and painting.

I've been building stuff other people got the credit for most of my life, and I've been around the biz long enough to know if a shop owner knows the dirty end of the work. Chip Foose most certainly DOES. It's pretty obvious when his guys have a problem fitting something, or whatever...Foose gets in there and makes it look easy, and you can't do that unless you know your stuff and paid your dues actually doing the WORK.

#35 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Little known fact about Mr. Barris I just learned... he learned the craft early on working with Harry Westergard in Sacremento in the late 30's before he made the trek to L.A. to eventually start out with his brother Sam.
http://www.customcar...rsonal-36-ford/

Edited by Blown03SVT, 12 October 2013 - 02:30 AM.