How many of you remember the 12 O'Clock High series from the mid-60s?

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

#41 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

I like 12 O'Clock High, and wish it was on at a time besides 5/5:00 AM on Sundays. 

I've really taken to MeTV. I like the old shows a lot better than most of the newer programming. It's actually either funny, or well-written, or well-perfromed, or all those things.

I saw the new Ironside last week...I'll watch it again because I'm not quite sure if I like it or not, but I can say this- Blair Underwood, as good an actor as he is, does NOT have the presence of Raymond Burr in this role. I personally would've chosen Vincent D'Norfrio (Law & Order: Criminal Intent), J.K. Simmons (frequent as Dr. Skoda on the original Law & Order and Chief Pope on The Closer and also the voice of the yellow M&M and Prof. Burke in the Farmers Insurance commercials), or, if they really wanted a black man to do it, either Thom Barry (Cold Case) or Dennis Haysbert (The Unit and recent commercials for Allstate Insurance). 

Charlie Larkin

#42 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Since no one has mentioned them yet...

The Flying Tigers (AVG, American Volunteer Group) flying outclassed P40's against the more nimble Zero's and bombers with rear gunners.

The Longest Day

Battle of the Bulge

Run Silent Run Deep

Fighting Leathernecks

Sands of Iwo Jima

The Dirty Dozen

I think 12 O'Clock High was a movie before it was a tv show.

#43 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

There was also a submarine supermarionation show called Stingray which I was fascinated with at a young age, I couldn't quite figure out how a squirrel cage propeller could work.  ;)

#44 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Since no one has mentioned them yet...

The Flying Tigers (AVG, American Volunteer Group) flying outclassed P40's against the more nimble Zero's and bombers with rear gunners.

The Longest Day

Battle of the Bulge

Run Silent Run Deep

Fighting Leathernecks

Sands of Iwo Jima

The Dirty Dozen

I think 12 O'Clock High was a movie before it was a tv show.

12 O'clock High was most definitely a movie before it was a TV show.  Gregory Peck and Dean Jagger. Great flick!

#45 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

When I was n NCO School the instructors used the movie 12 O'clock High as a case in point illustrating the classic case of a boss taking too much on his own shoulders and failing to delegate. He'd run the movie for a while and stop it at various points to make his points. Worked very well !

#46 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

I like 12 O'Clock High, and wish it was on at a time besides 5/5:00 AM on Sundays. 

I've really taken to MeTV. 

Charlie... record it! Doesn't matter when it's broadcast... you have the power to create your own TV schedule!

I also like MeTV. So many great old shows. I probably watch more old shows on MeTV than I do first run series.

#47 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Charlie... record it! Doesn't matter when it's broadcast... you have the power to create your own TV schedule!

I also like MeTV. So many great old shows. I probably watch more old shows on MeTV than I do first run series.

1. Dead VCR. I have a newer one that I had prior to being forced back home, but it appears my cable service is incompatible with VCRs. (Verizon FiOS- if anyone has found different, please say so).

2. Those digital VCR things (DVR?) all seem to require subscription services that the budget doesn't allow for. If we get one from the service provider, it's very expensive (something like $200) and murderously expensive to be allowed to use ($25/month). We have fairly basic service with the phone and Internet; it's not a bad deal, about $90/month for the whole thing, but that extra expense does make that much of a difference for us.

Were it not for that, I'd be all set.

Charlie Larkin

#48 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

I remember 12 O'Clock High being on TV when I was a kid; I didn't watch it probably because I was a car nut before I became an airplane nut. When I lived in California I went out to Chino many times for the museum and the air shows, and got to walk through the actual B-17G from the series. Decades later when watching the series I recognized the filming locations at Chino; some of the buildings are still standing today.

Lots more info on the series, and the 1½ B-17s used on the show, here: http://www.aerovinta...om/tvtwelve.htm