It is hard to understand why kit manufacturers ignore some of the most spectacular pacemakers of automotive history. One of these ignored vehicles is the Bugatti Atlantic. In 1937 it showed many features that we consider to be typical for a modern sports car: Breathtaking appearance and performance, a radically reduced vehicle height for a low center of gravity, doors reaching into the roof, the use of lightweight materials.
Some years ago I happened to see a pile of 1/24 Bburago toy models at a large food store at less than (converted) $ 10.00. Among them were some Bugatti Atlantic. At first glance they looked rather odd but on nearer view their proportions seemed to be possibly correct. At home this first impression proved true:
- All dimensions of the metal body were correct. A big problem were the poorly fitting movable doors with their crude hinges. Door gaps varied extremely because firstly the door shapes were different from the door openings and secondly the doors didn't follow the curvatures of the body.
- The rear radiator edges "flow" into the hood of the real car. This striking feature was missing, probably it was too difficult to reproduce it for a toy model.
- There were no usuable interior parts.
- The crude chassis and all other parts were made of a strange kind of plastic. It was very hard and tough, and sanding or to gluing it turned out to be impossible.
- Rims and tyres had a completely wrong "universal" size.
Therefore only the metal body from fire-wall to the rear (including the integrated front fenders) and the two doors were used. I stripped the paint, sanded off all details and after days of adjustment work inserted them closed. All the rest of my model had to be self-made including chassis, radiator, hood, interior, rims and tires.
Only very few Atlantic were built, so all cars are slightly different. My model shows the vehicle delivered to England to R. Pope (registration EXK 6), later owned by Ralph Lauren.
comp_Bugatti Atlantic 00168.jpg 65.86KB 1 downloads comp_Bugatti Atlantic 00268.jpg 67.43KB 1 downloads comp_Bugatti Atlantic 00368.jpg 65.79KB 0 downloads comp_Bugatti Atlantic 00468.jpg 67.62KB 0 downloads comp_Bugatti Atlantic 00668.jpg 63.55KB 1 downloads comp_Bugatti Atlantic 00768.jpg 67.68KB 0 downloads comp_Bugatti Atlantic 00868.jpg 67.33KB 0 downloads
Edited by Plastheniker, 08 October 2013 - 10:19 AM.