#201 russosborne

russosborne

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Full Name:Russ Osborne

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Okay, I guess I am an AARP modeler as well. I think that would be a good sig line. :D

I am really looking forward to the Black Widow, the Thames Panel, Garbage Truck, and the 57 Chevy IF it really is the one with the fiddly doors. Building that 57 is one of the first modeling memories I have.

Course most of the stuff I buy/build is to relive old memories. Plus hoping to do a better job of it this time around. :lol:

Russ

#202 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Full Name:David Eicherly

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

I am glad the see the drag kits being reissued espcially the  new Jungle Jim dragster.

Same here.

Although, I would like to see them update their modern funny car and dragster kits. It wouldn`t take much.....new body panels, new blower hat, maybe a few other odds and ends. I would also be nice to get some slicks that are the correct size.

#203 Force

Force

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Full Name:Håkan Persson

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

Well the latest issues of the Top Fuel kits (Kenny Bersnstein's Bud King and Tony Schumacher's Army cars) has some updates but too few to be correct.

They have the modern high carbon fibre blower hat and Weld Magnum PRO front wheels (wrong for Kenny's car as it should have Weld Aluma Star wheels), kickout panels behind the drivers compartment and a Chrisman style rear end..

Revell's "modern era" Top Fuel kit's aren't bad at all and they can keep most of it as is, but it needs some work and some serious updating to come up to todays standard for a top of the line Top Fuel car.

We'll start with the engine.

They need to do a new setback 14-71 blower with long snout,  blower bag and hold down straps.

New intake manifold för the setback blower,

New MSD Pro Mag 44 magnetos wich are larger than the Mallory magnetos in the kits and replace the Mallory coils with MSD and MSD Ignition boxes.

New Waterman Racing Components "Mega Bertha" fuel pump with plumbing from the fuel tank to replace the old style dual Enderle pumps, and update the fuel system

New Titanium valve covers with covers over the spark plugs

Move the oil filter and mount it upside down and in front of the left head with plumbing to the oil pump.

The body/chassis.

They need to do a new much higher windshield (or a canopy for the DSR cars)
New titanium head protection over the main cage and new fire wall

New dash with a Race Pack digital display,

New fuel tank

Redo the nose and do a new one piece front wing mounted to the chassis and not the body

New three element rear wing to replace the older two element wing that has been out of date since the mid 90's

New oil gathering belly pan under the engine

New oil catch can behind the engine.

And most of all, do new rear wheels as the Centerline Convo Pro's that has been in the kits since the Darrell Gwynn/Mike Dunn Mopar and Eddie Hill's Pennzoil issues aren't allowed today as the SFI rules them out for nitro use,

The only wheels in use for TF/FC are American Racing Pro Series Track Star and Weld Racing solid Aluma Star and Magnum P.R.O.

There are most certainly more that I might have missed but these updates needs to be done to do a modern up to date Top Fuel car.

For Revell's "modern era" Funny Car kits the engine updates needed are the same as the TF's but with a lower blower hat, modern FC's also has a dry sump oil system so new tanks for fuel and oil needs to be done.

Of course new bodies, a belly pan and titanium head protection over the main cage..

And get rid of the hiddious hybrid wheels wich were modified from the good looking Weld Pro Star they had before to bad looking Centerline Convo Pro's wich has never been correct, so they absolutely have to go.

Edited by Force, 17 November 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#204 Adhsdad

Adhsdad

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Full Name:Erroll Palmer

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Well the latest issues of the Top Fuel kits (Kenny Bersnstein's Bud King and Tony Schumacher's Army cars) has some updates but too few to be correct.

They have the modern high carbon fibre blower hat and Weld Magnum PRO front wheels (wrong for Kenny's car as it should have Weld Aluma Star wheels), kickout panels behind the drivers compartment and a Chrisman style rear end..

Revell's "modern era" Top Fuel kit's aren't bad at all and they can keep most of it as is, but it needs some work and some serious updating to come up to todays standard for a top of the line Top Fuel car.

We'll start with the engine.

They need to do a new setback 14-71 blower with long snout,  blower bag and hold down straps.

New intake manifold för the setback blower,

New MSD Pro Mag 44 magnetos wich are larger than the Mallory magnetos in the kits and replace the Mallory coils with MSD and MSD Ignition boxes.

New Waterman Racing Components "Mega Bertha" fuel pump with plumbing from the fuel tank to replace the old style dual Enderle pumps, and update the fuel system

New Titanium valve covers with covers over the spark plugs

Move the oil filter and mount it upside down and in front of the left head with plumbing to the oil pump.

The body/chassis.

They need to do a new much higher windshield (or a canopy for the DSR cars)
New titanium head protection over the main cage and new fire wall

New dash with a Race Pack digital display,

New fuel tank

Redo the nose and do a new one piece front wing mounted to the chassis and not the body

New three element rear wing to replace the older two element wing that has been out of date since the mid 90's

New oil gathering belly pan under the engine

New oil catch can behind the engine.

And most of all, do new rear wheels as the Centerline Convo Pro's that has been in the kits since the Darrell Gwynn/Mike Dunn Mopar and Eddie Hill's Pennzoil issues aren't allowed today as the SFI rules them out for nitro use,

The only wheels in use for TF/FC are American Racing Pro Series Track Star and Weld Racing solid Aluma Star and Magnum P.R.O.

There are most certainly more that I might have missed but these updates needs to be done to do a modern up to date Top Fuel car.

For Revell's "modern era" Funny Car kits the engine updates needed are the same as the TF's but with a lower blower hat, modern FC's also has a dry sump oil system so new tanks for fuel and oil needs to be done.

Of course new bodies, a belly pan and titanium head protection over the main cage..

And get rid of the hiddious hybrid wheels wich were modified from the good looking Weld Pro Star they had before to bad looking Centerline Convo Pro's wich has never been correct, so they absolutely have to go.

I hope you're not holding your breath on these. Since they're not considered "vintage iron" and won't appeal to the AARP crowd I doubt Revell will see fit to make these updates or possibly all new kits anytime soon.

Ep

#205 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Interesting note of trivia ... according to the late Bob Paeth, the body for the Thames kit was scaled from a 1:1 vehicle owned by "F Troop" and "Mayberry RFD" actor Ken Berry ...

True. Bob told me that story himself.  He said Revell was looking to do the Thames and he passed one in a driveway on his way to work everyday. So one day he knocked on the door and Ken Berry answered. And he was happy to give Revell access to his vehicle.

#206 Force

Force

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

I hope you're not holding your breath on these. Since they're not considered "vintage iron" and won't appeal to the AARP crowd I doubt Revell will see fit to make these updates or possibly all new kits anytime soon.

Ep

No I'm not that stupid :P , I'm breathing calm and regular. ;)

These kits origins from the mid to late 80's so quite a few things has to be corrected, and Revell never did enough updates when these kits were around, so why would they do it now. 

I just wanted to point out what needs to be done to the top fuel and funny car kits to make them more up to date as it was mentioned in the thread, and it would have been nice if Revell did it as it's mostly minor things...we can wish can't we. ;) 
They could even make generic kits to save on licensing and I believe drag racing modelers still would buy them if they were correct.

But it looks like we have to continue to rely on the aftermarket and our scratch building skills to do a more correct up to date version with the Revell kits as base as I don't think we'll see any updates on these or even any new kits in a forseeable future either.

The funny thing is, if Revell had done the necessary updates the last time these top fuel kits were around and made them correct then  they would still have been quite up to date even to this day about 10 years later as not much has happened visually to the engine, body and chassis since then.
Most changes are inside the engines, the wheels, some more safety stuff around the driver and a few other things.

Edited by Force, 19 November 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#207 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

They could even make generic kits to save on licensing and I believe drag racing modelers still would buy them if they were correct.

Maybe those kits didn't sell well in the '90s, though other than the '64 T-bolt I don't recall any drag-specific "generic" kits, and certainly not on the scale that they did with NASCAR kits back then. I honestly don't see Revell upgrading any of their Pro Stock, Top Sportsman(?), F/C and T/F kits, but rather more reissues. I think the Billy Meyer Mustang F/C was the only '80s F/C which has been reissued so far, but I bet the Miller Warrior and Prudhomme Wendy's/Pepsi F/Cs would sell fairly well. It's kind of weird seeing the Glidden '87 Turbo T-bird P/S and the R-M '82 Camaro P/S available at the same time now, too. 

The other thing is some of these kits, Monogram's '84 T-Bird and Camaro Pro Stock kits in particular, are thirty years old now, so in some builder's eyes, they are probably seen as vintage drag subjects in much the same way some older builders view the '60s era drag kits.

#208 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

The other thing is some of these kits, Monogram's '84 T-Bird and Camaro Pro Stock kits in particular, are thirty years old now, so in some builder's eyes, they are probably seen as vintage drag subjects in much the same way some older builders view the '60s era drag kits.

YES !! This is probably the best statement I've read in regard to Pro Stock kits from Monogram . I can't believe that they're thirty years old now ! I'm 43 , and I remember these kits when they were new !

"...I was so much older then , I'm younger than that now ..."

#209 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:26 AM

YES !! This is probably the best statement I've read in regard to Pro Stock kits from Monogram . I can't believe that they're thirty years old now ! I'm 43 , and I remember these kits when they were new !

"...I was so much older then , I'm younger than that now ..."

Yes, I'm 43 also..I remember those kits when new, never had them then, have then now...back then I was building Monogram NASCAR kits, Monogram muscle cars,  and MPCs mostly...

#210 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

For a change there is nothing there that I "gotta" have. Whew. Second quarter will probably clobber me.

#211 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

I never had a Camaro Pro Stock when new, built a T-bird or two. These are "classics" now. :lol:

I picked up the R-M Camaro yesterday. Very happy to have it back. Of the Revell December Releases on the rack, I grabbed the last Camaro, so it's selling well in these parts.

#212 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

I remember these kits when they were new !

I remember walking into KB Toys when the Frank Iaconio T-bird P/S and Kenny Bernstein Ford Tempo Bud/Motorcraft kits were new ('85, I think, when the Monogram "black" box art debuted?) and seeing that David Lord box art. :wub:  

I thought I could pull of the "simple" paint scheme on both, but that abrupt change of direction on the front fenders really messed my plan up.  :unsure:

$_57.JPG

#213 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

I remember walking into KB Toys when the Frank Iaconio T-bird P/S and Kenny Bernstein Ford Tempo Bud/Motorcraft kits were new ('85, I think, when the Monogram "black" box art debuted?) and seeing that David Lord box art. :wub:

I thought I could pull of the "simple" paint scheme on both, but that abrupt change of direction on the front fenders really messed my plan up.  :unsure:

$_57.JPG

My memory's a bit muddy when it comes to the *exact* year for the box art design changeover ; however , I am thinking that it was c.1985 , and definitely 1986 . Then there were the horrid 'photogrpaher-laying-on-the-ground-taking-pictures-of-the-subject' box art era of c.1987 - c.1992 ( :mellow: ) . Remember the mislabelled "1970 Hemi 'Cuda" ? That typo wasn't rectified until c.1997 !

So , yeah ; the photo of the Motorcraft Pro Stock Thunderbird you've presented here , represents a very short-lived era of Monogram's "transitional" time ...

...Just prior to the 1988 merger (putting it kindly) of Revell-Monogram (which has actually proven to be a boon for us . It just created a little *confusion* at the time !) :lol:

#214 Force

Force

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

Maybe those kits didn't sell well in the '90s, though other than the '64 T-bolt I don't recall any drag-specific "generic" kits, and certainly not on the scale that they did with NASCAR kits back then. I honestly don't see Revell upgrading any of their Pro Stock, Top Sportsman(?), F/C and T/F kits, but rather more reissues. I think the Billy Meyer Mustang F/C was the only '80s F/C which has been reissued so far, but I bet the Miller Warrior and Prudhomme Wendy's/Pepsi F/Cs would sell fairly well. It's kind of weird seeing the Glidden '87 Turbo T-bird P/S and the R-M '82 Camaro P/S available at the same time now, too. 

The Revell/Monogram TF and FC kits must have sold descent as they were produced and updated for as long as they did.

The TF kits did exist from 1987 when the first issue of the "modern era"  TF cars wich was Don Garlits Swamp Rat XXX came, this is a one off kit and quite correct, a major retooling came in 1991 for the Joe Amato Valvoline and the Gary Ormsby Castrol GTX cars as the cars had changed so much since the earlier Garlits tooling that it couldn't be used, these cars are correct and up to date for that time.

After that they did small changes to the tooling a couple of times but never enough, the  first was in 1996 with the Gwynn/Dunn Mopar and Scott Kalitta American International cars when they changed the body slightly and went to large front wheels, the next update was 2002 when the last versions of the Top Fuel kits, Kenny Bernstein's Bud King and Tony Schumacher's Army car was issued with a new injector hat and new front wheels.

The "modern era" FC kits for Revell/Monogram started with the Don "Snake" Prudhomme Wendy's and Dale Pulde's Miller Warrior Trans Am's, and the Billy Meyer Chief Autoparts Mustang 1985, they changed body to a Ford Tempo for the Kenny Bernstein Bud King 1986,  the chassis and engine was pretty much the same with some small updates when the Olds Cutlass body came for John Force Castrol GTX, the Bruce Larson Sentry, the Cruz Pedregon McDonalds, the Ed "Ace" McCulloch Miller High Life and Otter Pops and the Nick Boninfante Raybestos cars 1989-93, they also did a one off body for Tom "Mongoo$e" McEwens 57 Chevy FC in 1989, next change was  the Dodge Avenger body (and they modified the nice Weld Pro Star wheels from the Olds FC's to uncorrect bad looking Centerline Convo Pro wheels)  for the Chuck Etchells Kendall GT 1, the KC Spurlock Fruit Of The Loom, the Kenji Okazaki Mooneyes, the Gary Densham NEC, the Tom Hoover Pioneer,  the Dean Skuza Matco Tools cars 1995-98,  the body changed again to a Pontiac Firebird for the the the Randy Anderson Western Auto and Cruz Pedregon McDonalds cars 1997, the Jerry Tolliver MAD and Spy vs Spy cars, and the Revell Nationals car 1998, they did some small updates to the engine with the Firebird body but not enough here either...and they were the last kits in the "modern era" FC series.

I don't think straight reissues of these kits would sell that good as they are as I said earlier not up to date except for the first versions, after that they need a lot more updating to be correct.
But if they did the necessary updates to make a correct up to date Top Fuel kit  I would for sure buy a few.

Edited by Force, 22 November 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#215 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

The Revell/Monogram TF and FC kits must have sold descent as they were produced and updated for as long as they did.

I should've been more clear in my quoted reply. I was talking about only the "blank" kits, with which you were expected to use a set of aftermarket decals, like this '64 T-bolt kit:

$(KGrHqVHJEQE88dE0T35BPhL99IEvw~~60_58.J

#216 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

Wow, 80's kits are now "Vintage" That is too funny! I graduated High School in '86!!

#217 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Wow, 80's kits are now "Vintage" That is too funny! I graduated High School in '86!!

Yep, long time ago..I graduated HS in '88. 

#218 KingSix

KingSix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Barrett

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

Class of '87 .. now those kits are "vintage" ? What's that make us ???

#219 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

Middle aged?   As far as kits go, kits from 25-30 years ago are definitely older...just like 1:1 cars of that age are way too old to be 'late model' but not yet 'classic'...

Edited by Rob Hall, 23 November 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#220 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Ya know more and more 90's rock is showing up on "Classic Rock" stations, and I've been noticing some of the older Classic Rock is merging it's way onto OLDIES stations...