Southern Motorsports Hobbies, Shipping Charge?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

I've never purchased from them.  Ordered some decals once, was quoted $20 shipping, no thanks!  I have purchased from a great supplier on ebay who charges just a few dollars for shipping to NZ, Slixx are very reasonable too.

#22 Alan

Alan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Bohack

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I can ship to your area for $5.00 and that includes postage, shipping supplies and my time so what does that say about these others? ..........

#23 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

Jeff Ballard from Motor City Resin Casters has mentioned this in other topics, but it bear repeating here. The reasons a U.S. shipper uses the more expensive USPS Priority Mail International (PMI) instead of USPS First Class International (FCI) shipping are 1) the package and it's contents can be insured; 2) A shorter delivery time

Now that USPS includes Tracking on First Class International packages, finding out if the package arrived at its destination and having proof it did is not an issue like it once was, but no insurance is available when shipping via USPS FCI, so if the item is lost or damaged in transit, the shipper is out the entire cost of the item, the shipping cost, and s/he has to replace the item AND ship it a second time. With that in mind, it becomes clear why USPS PMI is the safer option with much less risk for the shipper, even though it is considerably more expensive for the buyer.

If the shipper charges for USPS PMI and ships the at the much cheaper USPS FCI rate, that's en entirely different scenario, and the one Alan is currently trying to get resolved.

#24 Alan

Alan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sent an e-mail to SMH last night asking for an explanation re this .... yet to hear back .....

#25 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

I have had dozens of kit shipments from the US and not one has failed to arrive in good condition.  I am quite happy to take on the risk without insurance, which is a high % of the price of a kit - it's just not worth it.  I see little point in paying an extra $20 in insurance for a $10 kit. And yes, I'm a bean counter....... :rolleyes:

#26 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

Well I as on ebay and ask a question on a kit from a guy from the states he tells me 45 bucks to ship it to me I said its not coming Oz is it. I bought awile ago from China for a model kit and it cost 15 so how is that possiable?

John Pol

Edited by John Pol, 16 October 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#27 om617

om617

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Olsen

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:51 AM

I have had dozens of kit shipments from the US and not one has failed to arrive in good condition.  I am quite happy to take on the risk without insurance, which is a high % of the price of a kit - it's just not worth it.  I see little point in paying an extra $20 in insurance for a $10 kit. And yes, I'm a bean counter....... :rolleyes:

X 2. I have bought over 40 kit`s and only one of them where not as i hoped for,a chrushed box. But this is not the sellers fault.

#28 Alan

Alan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Update,

Well, I am pleased, Ronnie at SMH refunded $20 re the shipping issue we had. Like I mentioned before, I was totally happy with the 63 Galaxie , a very nice casting. Totally satisfied with our transaction :)
Thanks for going good on that Ron !

Alan

#29 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

Edited by rel14, 18 October 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#30 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,922 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Update,

Well, I am pleased, Ronnie at SMH refunded $20 re the shipping issue we had. Like I mentioned before, I was totally happy with the 63 Galaxie , a very nice casting. Totally satisfied with our transaction :)
Thanks for going good on that Ron !

Alan

That is good news,  and I will leave it at that

#31 Randytheroadrunner

Randytheroadrunner

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Earle

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I won't buy from anyone online unless the shipping costs are available on the website. I recently paid 8.60 shipping for a 1.97 purchase...never again.