#1 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:jesse corbett

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

Just picked up a 1/16 w900 and have plans for a year long super detail project out of it.

I have found a few so so pix of the w900 "gold nugget" editions on Hanks and google images and want to paint/detail it as such.  I have also seen some variations of how they did the striping but nothing good enough to set up a template or identify colors with any certainty.

Any help on interior and exterior pix, colors codes and other info would be helpful.

thanks

Edited by olsbooks, 11 May 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#2 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Work begins.  Opening cab doors are a must for this one and always tricky but being 1/16 is a bit easier.  I used .030 styrene to recreate the door frame and also surrounded the door itself with .030 to try and recreate it more prototypically and provide a clean, smooth surface.  This made fitting it much easier. There is still a bit of clean up to do, but seems to be falling into place.

Plans are to put in a thin groove in the door edge and place in a piece of black thread in it once the door is painted to replicate the rubber seal  The hinge, while a bit oversize, is off the shelf from a harware store and gives good strength.   

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 17 March 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#3 Thatswhatshesaid

Thatswhatshesaid

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Full Name:Jake McGillicutty

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Theres an easier and more realistic way to replicate the door seals. A couple years ago at Cabelas I picked up some rubber 'strips'. I found them in with the fishing lures and stuff. I can't remember what it was called and I don't have it handy but it works good for door seals. They are about 8-10 inches long and came several to a pack. IIRC they weren't expensive. Just an idea if you have a Cabelas nearby or a place with fishing supplies.

#4 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks!  I will look into it.  Justification to hit the sporting goods store is always welcome! :D 

One of the biggest challenges on this thing is going to be the interior as I want to do the "diamond tuck".  Hobby Lobby sells  leather "scraps" in all sorts of colors and I have heard tale of scraping it so it is ultra "thin" and then use  simple leather tools to impress a pattern. 

We never learn if we never try.

#5 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

Just starting on the interior of this thing. 

Air ride seats.  The kit just has a raised blocks.  Unacceptable and seat "skirts" were not the norm back then.  Anyone ever tried to fab some sort of WORKING suspension seat in 1/16?  Or does anyone have any line drawings of them?

#6 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Glasby

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:47 AM

Will be watching this one. Will have to see if I can find some hinges for my peterbilt.

Ben

#7 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:50 AM

Are you going to shorten the sleeper?

Ben

#8 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

Thanks!  I will look into it.  Justification to hit the sporting goods store is always welcome! :D 

One of the biggest challenges on this thing is going to be the interior as I want to do the "diamond tuck".  Hobby Lobby sells  leather "scraps" in all sorts of colors and I have heard tale of scraping it so it is ultra "thin" and then use  simple leather tools to impress a pattern. 

We never learn if we never try.

gold nuggets didn't have diamond tuck pattern.They were a unique zig-zag pattern in a 4 tone brown.I have seen a few pictures on the net,but didn't save them.Keep googling till you find them

#9 KJ790

KJ790

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:KJ Humphreys

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

I found this picture which shows the interior for a K100 gold nugget. I imagine the W900 was similar inside.

f7ad3eea-6641-4689-b6cd-97fa.jpg

#10 KJ790

KJ790

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:KJ Humphreys

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

I also found these pictures from a W900 gold nugget:

82d8922e-82da-41dd-9910-b06e.jpg

910565b0-c7eb-46ec-bcfb-b4fc.jpg

e3c9b935-2312-4abd-8548-8b5c.jpg

#11 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

THANK YOU!  I also found a youtube of the W900 above from 2012.  He stated he planned on a restoration but I could find no updates.

Regarding shortening the sleeper, that is up in the air.  My never to be trusted memory seems to recall a double bunk version but the stripes were arranged just a bit differerent. Hey, it was only 30 some years ago.....

But,  I have definately seen factory day cabs (never an Aerodyne).  If I can't find "proof" of a double bunk version, then yes, I will shorten up the bunk.  The 3408 Cat however will stay even if not offered by the factory (scratchbuilding a 1/16 NTC Cummins is beyond my abilities) 

And also I say "OUCH!" to that trim pattern.  Any suggestions if I am determined to stick with leather or vinyl?

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue" as the line goes from the movie Airplane.   :blink:  

#12 Tony Bryan

Tony Bryan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

gold nuggets didn't have diamond tuck pattern.They were a unique zig-zag pattern in a 4 tone brown.I have seen a few pictures on the net,but didn't save them.Keep googling till you find them

The Australian version Gold Nugget did have the  diamond pattern also had the 36inch aerodyne sleeper, which had a TV installed, 

Check this link http://www.modelcars...showtopic=80625 which shows the 2 versions that where Available here, we never had a 

Cabover Gold nugget

The Gold Nugget man lived on the hood, and not on the door like your version, they could be painted company colours, but by the looks of the US version was only 

one choice, I wonder if you could talk Model trucking into doing a decal set for them

As for the interior with the zig zag pattern, I would do that with a decal, 

#13 Tony Bryan

Tony Bryan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Air ride seats.  The kit just has a raised blocks.  Unacceptable and seat "skirts" were not the norm back then.  Anyone ever tried to fab some sort of WORKING suspension seat in 1/16?  Or does anyone have any line drawings of them?

http://public.fotki....mar_1992_air-r/

#14 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

Thank you for the seat info. 

Thanks also for the idea on the decals for the interior trim.  I think I am going to try to fab something as I am after the texture as well as the appearance at this point.  If the doors did not open I would definitely go the decal route. 

Will have some new pix in a day or two. 

I have finished up the drivers door fit and got the operating roof clearance lights holes cut and the lights assembled.  I found a little string of battery operated lights at Dollar General for $2 and they have  a great fit and shape once drilling out the light housings.  I really wanted to stick with bulbs  for these and once I figure a good way to get the glass bulbs tinted amber, think they will turn provide just enough lighting.  Putting 1.5VDC thru them really gives a nice effect.  Headlights will be high intensity LED's.

Funny how I mention something about an alternate engine and all of  a sudden threads emerge on 1/16 Cummins NTC and an 8V92... 

Ask and it shall be given......

#15 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Got the door panel/interior trim issue figured out.  Hobby Lobby has some really high quality paper with just enough "grain"  in the scrap booking section and "chevron scissors" for $2.  While the frequency of the peaks and valleys will be a little different, the effect will be there. Real excited about this discovery! :rolleyes:  Also found some incredible paper for creating the rubber floor mat in the same scrapbooking section.  Pix in a day or two.

Thanks for the ideas.. :)  

#16 williamchevelleman1972

williamchevelleman1972

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Full Name:william cockrell

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

jesse heres a link and some pictures of kenny b's 1/16 peterbilt large car. he did some air ride seats of his own that looks really good.

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=67198

http://s17.postimg.o...x2n/seats_1.jpg

http://s17.postimg.o...ycv/seats_2.jpg

Will be watching this one. Will have to see if I can find some hinges for my peterbilt.

Ben

ben i sent you a pm on the hinges for the doors i have two if you want them.id love to see doors open on the models and if i can help someone i will. :)

Edited by williamchevelleman1972, 25 October 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#17 williamchevelleman1972

williamchevelleman1972

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Full Name:william cockrell

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Kenny B's air ride seats

seats1_zps1a4783ef.jpg[/URL]

seats2_zps89762188.jpg[/URL]

Edited by williamchevelleman1972, 25 October 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#18 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Nice.

Ben

#19 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

Just wanted to provide some updates and thank all of you for your assistance.  This is a huge leap for me and your help is so appreciated. 

Anyway, got the the driver door fit about done, wanted to show how the little lights from Dollar General are progressing (I think very well once I get them tinted amber) for the clearance lights, and show the first trial with the use of paper for the door panels. 

Obviously the trim is going to take a lot of work and may wind up going another way, but so far, this way seems to have potential.  While the pix dont show well, the grain the paper really has a nice texture effect to mimmick the leather/vinyl.   

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 17 March 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#20 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

Nice idea with the paper. Maybe clear coat the paper. Auslowe stocks some interior stuff that looks like leather. It's black in colour so you would have to paint it. It's flexible as well. Keep up the food work.

Ben