#201 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Jesse, you're really getting these boys to do some good work....Well, at least one of them, anyway..... :D

#202 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Full Name:jesse corbett

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

Episode 5

After dealing with some major issues far beyond and more significant than paint, the boys are finally back at it.  Ol' Lugnut finally got the last of the stripes done on "his" side and just wanted to share a quick "look see" and remind friends he is still around. The boys just dropped the pieces into place so obviously nothing lines up well in the below pix. Plans are to finish up the striping on Dipsticks' side in the next couple of days, shim up the hood/cab/sleeper for a good fit and get the "nugget" outside for decent pix and resumption of the slightly psychotic story line.

Very stange on the paint.  Same paints and no problems.  The only change was not having any "layers". Obviously a compatability problem somewhere. The bright gold is decal film from Microscale. It also still boggles my mind how "yucky" the brown looks in these pix using a flash.

And so, the boys have pretty much pulled off the last great hurdle in rebuilding a trashed cab and getting a half a million mile paint job on their good and faithful servant.  A few bug splatters and paint chips are still to come on the front around the headlights and air cleaners but that wont be much of an issue. The stacks are built, the interior is ready to install, the roof lights and dash are lit and ready to mount and wire.

OK boys.  You guys got to hustle to get to GA to hook onto a load of steel and get that new grille you always wanted yet this summer. Downtime dont pay!  Back to work!  (You catch that Earl?)

Peace

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 13 April 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#203 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

Good morning Dipstick and Lugnut!

The boys have been burning a bit of the midnite oil (or in Lugnut's case, probably drinking it).  While the boys had hoped to get outside for some nice pix, mother nature had other plans. 

Paint is now complete and final assembly begins.  So in order to keep their word to the avid followers, they whipped this together. Everything remains just set in place loose for photo purposes.

Since Lugnut is prone to breaking and scratching (or getting paint on) glass, the film layer remains on the inside. (He has already had his pay docked accordingly.)  They took advantage of some thin, clear plastic for the glass.  It seems to have a far better effect than the kit supplied glass and is about 1/2 the thickness. 

If Dipstick will ever stand up, plans are to put him to work on finishing out the doors.  Vent windows will be open with the proper latches.  Sometimes ol' Lugnut tends to proliferate the cab with aromatic frangrances usually reserved for the hog trailer.  And if Dipstick can pull it off, plans are to have the windows able to go up and down and just be a friction fit. Before the cab sides/doors rebuild, that was already in place though with the new construction, it simply was overlooked.  Ooops. 

The boys have their work cut out stuffing the interior back into the thing and cutting the rubber floor mat.  That is going to be tricky since the floor pan is now an integral part of the cab.  Ditto the lighted instrument panel.  But the boys are chomping at the bit to get their good and faithful servant on the road soon.  Once Dipstick will drag out the extension cord, Lugnut hopes to be soldering away and getting the roof lights operational.  From there, it will be largely laying paper on the inside much like the sleeper and door panels to finish it off.

The headlights are going to be a challenge with clearance to the tire since we are going with old school bulbs but should be ok.  The little running lights that mount just above the headlights are still up in the air though with fiber optics the only real option though drilling and roughting the optics through the necessary twists and curves simply may not be practical given tooling, vision, and talents.  That one remains in the "thought bucket" for now.

Until next time, peace and Happy Easter for the real reason...not some silly little chocolate bunny misplacing colored eggs all over the place..(never quite figured that one out)

Attached Files

#204 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Dipstick managed to get off his duff and pull out the soldering iron. 

I feel compelled to start this post out with a "yeah, I know it looks horrible.  I am doing just fine kicking myself on this thank you.  I would have flunked myself out for such a mess in years past.  Excuses...excuses.  Now I am just an aging half crazed coot anyway and I aint on your payroll so enough said.

Seriously though, efforts to trim the wires to a cleaner length and then strip just were getting nowhere working though the side doors.  Lesson learned for next time....trim and strip wires BEFORE mounting them to the cab roof if the floor is in place.  It will be fine though as the headliner will cover it all anyway.  Just one of those things that could have and should have been done better.   Looking at it again, I now see where one wire is tangled and will have to be unsoldered, rerouted and resoldered......ggggrrrrrrrr.   

"Patience grasshopper" as the old saying goes.  Where is an apprentice when I need him?

Essentially I am fabricating DC "bus bars" to minimize wire and wire runs where space is a a premium and  also double as terminal strips.  It might be something new for some and old hat to others. Pretty basic stuff actually.  The bulbs will run on 3.0VDC.  LED's will run on about 4.5VDC meaning two seperate circuits.  Original plans were to make the lights flip in various locations on and off individually but simply put, my eyes and hands cant tolerate this fine stuff like they used too so there will simply be a "master" switch for the LED's and a master for the bulbs.   Yeah, I suppose I could mess with all sorts of controllers but I am old school, hard headed, and above all else,on a tight budget.

Basically I just soldered one lead from each bulb to a strip of scrap brass stock for the positive run and the other to another brass scrap for the negative bus.  This cleans up (though it does not look like it now) the roof of the cab and will make headliner and side panel installation MUCH easier and not be so "instrusive".  In addition I now only have 2 wires to run down the cab wall as opposed to 10, no wire connectors, etc.  From there, I have another set of bus bars mounted on the underside of the cab floor.  Same principles will apply.  There is enough wire left from the tail lights, lights on the back of the sleeper, cab roof lights, and eventually headlights to run everything under here.  From there only two wires will be necessary to run to the mounting base for the model and should be able to hide them quite easily.  There will be another set of wires for the LED's using the same principles if numb nuts here (yours truly) can see enough to distinguish the anode and cathode ends of the LEDs and solder them fast enough to prevent damage to the LED's.

I may integrate a piece of metal tubing to snake all the wires going to the mounting base and have it double as some sort of securement device for the rig once done.  If the mood strikes, I might sit down and calculate the resistance values for all the bulbs and apply a resistor.  That way I could just run a single set of wires up but time will tell on all these little final details.  Pros and cons either way.

Anyway, just thought I would share.   Lugnut and Dipstick will be back in the next post as they are stuffing interior parts in.  Lugnut just got the chrome bands on the air cleaners and Dipstick is plugging away on the door glass and panels. Could get interesting!  No, No, Lugnut!....we dont want the sledgehammer!

Peace.

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 15 October 2014 - 01:49 AM.

#205 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Glasby

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

Nice work. Cheers

Ben

#206 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

Still looking awesome.....I've never tried to light anything, so it's all new to me......Whatever works, Man....Awesome....

#207 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

The boys felt the need to check in and and let you know they have been busy.

Dipstick finally got his new Cobra 23 Channel CB installed and is just yacking up a storm.  Plans were to dash mount the CB but it was actually molded wrong and with the levers I installed for the fifth wheel lock and diff lock, there just was not room....just like the real thing.

For photo purposes, they just put the passenger seat on the drivers side for a little look see.  Lugnut is about finished with the wiring and got the headliner in. He is having far too much fun with the windshield washer though and keeps pretending it is a drinking fountain. (how many old timers remember the days before washer fluid was everywhere and using cheap booze instead?) Still got to lay in the "gold nugget chevrons" on the headliner but otherwise, it is just mounting seats, steering column, and that sort of thing.  Mounting doors will be the last thing. 

About the only major mess encountered is that when installing the interior "panels", while fitting it into shape, Dipstick and Lugnut were not real careful and popped out a few rivets so they have to go back and do a touch up.  Oh well.  A rig with a half million miles will have less than perfect (if any) paint on the rivets anyway.

Lugnut had a good time trying to form fit the paper for the cab corner area but did a decent job.  While it does not show well in these pix, you will see these boys are not quite as good about wiping their boots as they should be prior to getting in.  A few clods tracked in by the clods on the floor.

Hope to have a few outdoor pix and have some lights on at that point. 

Now mounting the air horns could prove to be a challenge.  Lugnut has insisted that Dipstick handle it and I sense revenge is in the air (and about 110 decibels).

peace.

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 15 October 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#208 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Looks good.

Ben

#209 Tesla

Tesla

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis Clapp

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

This topic has been a learning experience for me. Great work Jesse and thank you!

#210 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Thanks you for all the kind comments.   It has been a lot of fun.  Humbly though I admit I have learned far more from all of you.

One thing that I meant to add earlier was about the door frame edges.  A few have wondered about them.  I use solder.  Just unroll it, use superglue and start at an "end". Unroll/form it and superglue another drop to secure and just work your way around.  The solder is obviously easy to shape and provides just the right effect in my arrogant opinion.  Also, it allows you to "fill" any remaining gaps between the door and frame and if necessary just scrape lightly with a blade or emory board if needed at the last minute for any binding.  Likewise, if you are not satisfied, as long a you dont go crazy with the crazy glue, it pops off easy so you can try again.  Beats using stiff wire or plastic tubing and fighting it in my opinion.  Might not be "perfect" but it is easy, cheap, simple, and gives the desired effect.  May not win a rivet counter contest but I find a lot of pleasure in "repurposing"  another mans trash.

Peace    

Edited by olsbooks, 28 April 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#211 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

Well Dipstick and Lugnut were able to secure bond money and get back to work.  Seems they were hauled in for just the typical causing a public nuisance.  Something about maliciouisly teasing the lobsters at the local seafood joint. So now that they are out, it is back to work. 

Anyhow, parts are just set in place (nothing lines up good) but the good Lord blessed us with a gorgeous day today and it was time for the UV rays to start blasting the copper metallic on the hood, roof, and sleeper to kill the gloss and evenutally start peeling the clear coat.  Lugnut was crashed out in the sleeper on this photo shoot.  Flashbacks ya know?.

The base is just a piece of old shelf wood and they used some traction tape to create the "road".  Sawdust mixed in with diluted green, brown, and yello latex will be applied later for the grass/weeds on the roadside.  (Cheap old model RR trick).

So here ya go.  We are getting there.  Still about a month behind but chugging along.

Peace

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 03 May 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#212 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Quick update.  Curious if anyone with one of the kits has run into problems with interference between the exhaust out and the cab firewall.  (Just like the real thing).  Gonna have to hack into the firewall so the cab can be set properly for tight hood/can fit.  I maintained all the original cab mounts and the engine and exhaust is placed properly.  I tried shaving the lugs in the cab mounts and sliding it forward but the exhaust immediately becomes a problem.

If nothing else, for those messing with these kits, it is the only major fit problem run into that (at this point) is beyond my own cobbling. It is either move the cab and sleeper forward 1/8th inch, add 1/8th to the length of the hood or move the whole hood back 1/8 (the later two being easier said than done)

Take care.

Edited by olsbooks, 03 May 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#213 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

The boys hooked up the battery cables for a quick check of exterior lighting.  Gotta finish up the dash gauge lights but so far so good.

Giving a kudos to myself on the candlewax tricks described earlier.  The effects beat anything I have ever done.  "He stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plumb and said what a good boy am I!"  Actually, credit goes where credit is due (the one who gave me this half crazed brain) and this aint about me anyway.

Peace

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 04 May 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#214 redneckrodder

redneckrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Full Name:james gilpin

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Lookin real nice other than the exaust/firewall issue does it go together well

#215 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

I highly recommend this kit.  Quality/fit I think is quite good with all kinds of ways to tweak it.

The exhaust firewall clearance issue turned out to be a HUGE blessing.  The gauge lights were not working.  I popped out the firewall and found the solder joint had failed.  So even if there was not a clearance problem it would have to had come out anyway.  Put it back in and OBVIOUSLY bonehead here must have not seated it properly.  No more problems.  Zero clearance but not a problem.

Getting there!

Attached Files

#216 Tesla

Tesla

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis Clapp

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:33 AM

The lighting looks fantastic!

#217 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Lugnut was "busted" for sleeping!  And a thumb sucker to boot!

Passenger side is pretty much done.  Mirrors will be absolute last thing and may not go on until delivered.

Hope to get the drivers side and some working headlights mounted in a week or two.

The next one or two posts should finish this project up.  Nice job boys now get out and start paying for this thing!

Take care.

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 15 October 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#218 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

That's look great. Can't wait to see it done. I probably should hook into my 1/16 peterbilt 359 soon. I've cut the doors off the cab. Plan to shorten the sleeper. Won't be adding lights etc. cheers for sharing.

Ben

#219 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Episode 12  The final chapter.

Well, other than drivers mirrors, turn signals, stuffing some wire, and a few minor touch ups/tweeks here and there on doors and tires mostly, the boys got it done.  May post on "under glass" once these are done but doubtful.  Thanks to you all for your encouragement, ideas, help, and friendship.  It has been a blast.  The good Lord has other things in store and it is time to be moving on perhaps as soon as monday. 

Seems Dipstick talked Lugnut into a pre trip exhaust check.  Hmmm.  Boys will be boys.

Peace to all of you.  Your friendship and encouragement means a great deal.  Always has...always will.

And a VERY special thank you to Earl Miller who posts here on the site for the great hoses!  I HIGHLY recommend him/his products.. 

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 15 October 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#220 redneckrodder

redneckrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Full Name:james gilpin

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Beautifal now the boys need to find a flatbed to hook up to it