#21 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Full Name:jesse corbett

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Excellent idea about the clear coat on the paper as that is what it is "missing".  This paper is quite thick so embossing the KW logo seems possible.  I Might try just using the emblem for the grille and (ever so carefully) pressing it in the paper to see if it will leave the impression as I really want the depth to be there.

I would like to try so many neat things I see you guys pull off but budget is a huge factor but what I have goes into the minimal basics (mostly tooling) at this point.  Wah wah wah.

Anyway, I'm gonna chase this paper thing really hard.  Just seems to have lots of potential.  More updates later.

#22 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

This is to williamchevelleman1972  and other opening door experts.

I do want to have the sleeper doors open however those hinges seem considerably smaller than on the cab doors.   Open for low cost suggestions as I have apparently bottomed out on the dollhouse/jewelry box end atleast that has any strength to it.  

I am not opposed to a removable roof but do want access to the luggage compartment as that is where I plan to put the batteries for the lights and ????.  And while not a hinge, if all I am after is occasional easy access to batteries and DIP switches, has anyone ever tried using strip magnets to hold a door in place? 

#23 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Glasby

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Excellent idea about the clear coat on the paper as that is what it is "missing".  This paper is quite thick so embossing the KW logo seems possible.  I Might try just using the emblem for the grille and (ever so carefully) pressing it in the paper to see if it will leave the impression as I really want the depth to be there.

I would like to try so many neat things I see you guys pull off but budget is a huge factor but what I have goes into the minimal basics (mostly tooling) at this point.  Wah wah wah.

Anyway, I'm gonna chase this paper thing really hard.  Just seems to have lots of potential.  More updates later.

Good tools are a must in my books. I'm watching this build with great interest as I have a 1/16 peterbilt. I have already removed the doors but I want to shorten the sleeper as I think it will look better on the chassis it has. Got auslowe aluminium accessories for it as well.

#24 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

One of these days perhaps the much wanted tools will be there but priorities are priorites.  And while there is a tradeoff compared to these truly great masterpieces I see and drool over, it really pushes this tired old brain to really stretch which is just as enjoyable.....or at least that is what I keep telling myself.  :huh:  

Like the suspension seats. What you guys have pulled off is incredible but simply not in the cards.   BUT, a delve into a junk CD rom slide out tray mechanisms and broken wind up toys reveals some interesting possibilities that a razor blade, drill bit and sandpaper just might pull together into an acceptable compromise

#25 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Fair enough. Will be watching.

Ben

#26 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Well, I took my first stab at fabricating a working suspension seat out of bubble gum and bailing wire (actually a chunk of garbage clear plastic, a few straight pins, and the guts of a cheap retractable ball point pen).   

It works. Almost 1/2" of travel that a finger tip can easily move.  Now I do not really plan to use this "prototype" as this one was more discovering and learning more so than finish.

The biggest problem I ran across is simple geometry since I wanted to simulate "full" vertical travel.  The "upper" connecting bar had to have some horizontal travel otherwise the seat angle was seriously affected as the seat went up and down. 

The other challenge was the spring mechanism geometry.  This was handled by simply using a piece of plastic on the top of the spring "top" so that is actually slides on the upper half seat base. It wont be visible. This prevented having to put in any more pivot points which are the most difficult for me.

A challenge for sure.     

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement. 

Had this forum and your most helpful pix not been posted I would never have even tried. :D

Attached Files

#27 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

Good job on the seat mechanism.

Ben

#28 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Seat 2 came out much better.  Ah, the experience learned thru trial and error. ;)

Same materials as the prototype but spent far more time on fit and finish. There is still a bit of clean up to do but it is largely there.  I would guess about 4 hours total.

For what it is worth, the retractable ball point pen mechanism/sliding shoe on the upper portion as applied on the prototype works really well.  I will be putting in some guide rails (likely strips of solder as it is easy to tweak in such a tight area) for the sliding shoe. 

This should reduce twisting as even with the tubing on the moving bars, it still has a tendancy to twist slightly and not return to exactly squared up.  

BTW - misspoke on amount of travel.  It is about 3/8 of an inch.   Stretching the spring extensively makes it very easy to "bounce".  There is only about 2 "spirals" in 1/4" of the spring which is confined inside the base to prevent any binding.

Trust me, if I can pull this off, anyone can.  It has been alot of fun.

Anyway, just wanted to share and thank all of you for your help.

Attached Files

#29 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

Very cool. Cheers for sharing.

Ben

#30 jacobus

jacobus

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:jacobus a vd kemp

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

have look on google , and see a lot of gold nugget kw

but interior not much and also the size of what the sleeper must have and the color

i follow this one

til now great work

jacobus

#31 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Just a trial fit. 

The floor board was widened for a flush fit with the cab floor and the sides removed.

I am using "scrapbooking" paper for the rubber floor mat.  It is called "obsidian metallic vellum".  Metallic it is not.  But it gives the illusion of the texture just enough much like a low grade rubber.  It would likely make really good mud flaps for 1/25 scale.  It is quite heavy paper that will take alot of rough handling.

A strip of 1/8" pinstriping was used to replace the mat hold down metal strip.  Ganted, the paper is not glued down at this point and I want to do something for the bolts or screws on the hold down strip, but it it seems to do be coming together.

Question to the group since I cannot recall regards the passenger seat mounting base on a w900 of this vintage.  Was it on a "box" or on individual legs or something else if I go this route.  My experience was passenger suspension seats back then were certainly not the norm...even for KW or Pete.  Besides, I dont know if I could duplicate my drivers seat exactly if the truth be known.  :o

Plans are to start tackling the seat upholstry next. 

Attached Files

#32 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

That's looking good. Will be trying to copy the look of your seats on my peterbilt.

Ben

#33 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

A bit of an update.  Got the floor pretty much done.  I still want to work on the pedals.  Seem to recall the brake pedal being aluminum with very rounded corners and some raised chevrons and the "hammer" pedal in the more typical fat KW style.  Need to find some pix.  Creating the texture on the pedals however has me scratching my head.  Open to suggestions.  Hope to have a progress report on the seats next week.

Attached Files

Edited by olsbooks, 17 March 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#34 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Found a "factory" double bunk gold nugget.  Paint was indeed a little different.  Same colors but different pattern.

Attached Files

#35 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Definitely a nice piece of work going on.....

#36 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

I am really struggling with upholstry on the seats and seek the wisdom of the masters. :D  

The paper plan mentioned earlier I think will work on the flat surfaces like the door panels and sleeper trim but I am really struggling with finding/fitting something to the seats.  I am open for any using materials available at Hobby Lobby or ???? available in small town USA.   I really want to have the texture effect, incorporate the stripes as close as possible, blah blah, blah.  And since the suspension seats work, more than once fingers are going to be pushing down on the seat "cushions" to show and tell.   Since the interior trim pattern was such a key part of the  US version of the Gold Nuggets, I really dont want to compromise this.

Special thanks to the guys in the "truck stop" forum as they just stumbled across this.  Good additional interior pix.  http://www.ebay.com/...mmercial_Trucks

Suggestions?????  Anyone?  Anyone?  Anyone?.

Edited by olsbooks, 17 March 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#37 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Found a "factory" double bunk gold nugget.  Paint was indeed a little different.  Same colors but different pattern.

that's not a nugget,just your every day w900

Edited by mistermodel, 06 November 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#38 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

Pedals and Upholstery updates

Got an idea I am considering and therefore throwing out to the masters here about fabricating the pedals.  Anyone ever tried "carving" balsa?  

Still in the experimenting phase with "scrapbooking paper" for the interior upholstry. Getting closer....but not there yet.  Trying to get this particular pattern down is proving very difficult....but this paper has great potential for more simple patterns.    

And thanks for the info on the small bunk.  Yes, I have heard this.  While I prefer the double bunk,  I have just about exhausted the last leads on  "the handful" of US gold nuggets built with a double bunks. (can't post anything on the net that isn't true...right?) A sleeper chop appears in order. Gonna stick with Cat engine due to $ for now, but will perhaps just "set" in so for a changeover to an NTC Cummins later down the line.

Edited by olsbooks, 17 March 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#39 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Just wanted to provide an idea of how the paper was coming along for the upholstery.  Getting close.

Fabricated new pedals.  For the "gas" pedal, used the netting from cooking seasoning bag to create the pattern and impressed "KW" using a jewelers screwdriver in ultra thin pastic cut out using a hole punch.  New brake pedal as well with scraps of delrin plastic for the "tread" in it. Obviously not as perfect as photoetch or custom decals, but it will work for me.

Have fabricated a box seat base and hope to have the drivers seat done this week.

Attached Files

#40 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

I think you're doing a great job.

Ben