Holeeeeeeeeeee Kowwwwwwwwwwww!

#164 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

great looking assembly. It's amazing how much the turn buckles add to the look of the overall part.

nicely done

#165 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,679 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Back in the early 1900s, firemen couldn't always rely on a pressurized fire hydrant being available nearby when called to fight a fire. Often they had to pump water from the closest available source, like a pond or stream, especially in rural or semi-rural locations. The end of the "suction hose" that was placed into the water source (to be sucked up by the truck's pump) had a strainer/sieve device on the end, to keep fish or other general gunk from being sucked into the hose. The kit provided this strainer, but the holes in it were not open, just vaguely molded in. I replaced the kit part by scratchbuilding my own by cutting off the the kit part's cap and end piece, and adding fine fiberglass screen and brass wire. Kit part on the left, my version on the right:

hoses2_zpsda6077ed.jpg

The kit hoses were a problem, because they were molded in halves lengthwise... which meant a seam all along the entire length that would have been very tedious to try and sand off. The seam would become even more visible after I blackwashed the hoses:

hoses4_zps07a042f1.jpg

So I decided to scratchbuild new hoses. I took a wooden dowel and wrapped insulated speaker wire around it to create the new hoses. I pulled the wooden dowel out and added a little "sag" to parts of the hoses so they would look a little less stiff when placed on the racks:

hoses1_zpse373b24d.jpg

#166 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Once I had enough length of hose made, I painted the hoses with a 50/50 mix of Future and Elmer's Glue. That was to seal the gaps between the spirals of wire and make the hose look as if it was all one piece. Then I painted the hoses with white acrylic craft paint and added a black wash to dirty them up a bit and make them look used. I also opened up the hose connectors (they are molded closed) and added my scratchbuilt strainer to the end of the longest hose:

hoses3_zps8bd10ac9.jpg

#167 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

another killer detail !

wonder if using a light gray instead of white on the hose would tone it down a bit? To me, there seams to be too much contrast between the white and the black wash.

#168 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

More fantastic details Harry.  I love it.

#169 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

another killer detail !

wonder if using a light gray instead of white on the hose would tone it down a bit? To me, there seams to be too much contrast between the white and the black wash.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I might have to tone those down a bit. I might go over them with some thinned down white. The good thing is, they don't glue in place, they just lay there on the racks, so I can still work on them.

#170 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,407 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Wow ! What an improvement over the kit parts.

#171 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,008 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Very nice!  The extra work pays off huge!

#172 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

I applied the custom decals today. Thanks, Charlie! Tomorrow, on to "Under Glass!"

#173 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Great build full of tutorials.

My favorite has to be the homemade wash.

Thanks for sharing..can't wait to see the "Mustachioed Crew" too.

black-wash_zpsc1274103.jpg

#174 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,679 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Finished truck is "Under Glass." 

Except for the crew... still have to do them.

#175 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

I don't see it there.

#176 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,679 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

I don't see it there.

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=81960

#177 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

For more info on Wooden Ladders check out San Fransisco FD. They STILL USED

Wooden Ladders only a few years ago!!!

And they are Serial Numbers I believe Ladder #1 is Still in use!!!!

However, They last master carpenters who repair & maintain them were past retirement age!!

So, Are they Still using them now, or are they having to replace them with Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass or other material???

I do love this!!

I always wanted that larger copy of the Dennis,  but think I will stick to Smaller builds now!!

#178 clovis

clovis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:39 AM

Absolutely stunning.

Harry, your work is unbelievable, and it kind of makes me want to sell my model supplies at our next garage sale, and throw my current WIP in the trash.

Even if I could quit working and build models every day for the rest of my life, I will never attain your skill level. It is quite depressing every time I work on my current kit!   

#179 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,679 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Absolutely stunning.

Harry, your work is unbelievable, and it kind of makes me want to sell my model supplies at our next garage sale, and throw my current WIP in the trash.

Even if I could quit working and build models every day for the rest of my life, I will never attain your skill level. It is quite depressing every time I work on my current kit!   

Everyone has a different skill level. There are people out there whose skill level I can't come close to. The secret is not to compare yourself to other builders, but to push yourself to be the best you can be, regardless of where you may fall on the skill range. I try to to make every model I build better than the last one I built. The idea is to get incrementally better each time out, not necessarily comparing myself to others. As long as I can honestly tell myself that I have made progress on my latest model over my previous one, even if only minimal progress, then to me that's a "win."

You might want to give it a try. Challenge yourself to get better, don't compare yourself to others.

#180 clovis

clovis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Everyone has a different skill level. There are people out there whose skill level I can't come close to. The secret is not to compare yourself to other builders, but to push yourself to be the best you can be, regardless of where you may fall on the skill range. I try to to make every model I build better than the last one I built. The idea is to get incrementally better each time out, not necessarily comparing myself to others. As long as I can honestly tell myself that I have made progress on my latest model over my previous one, even if only minimal progress, then to me that's a "win."

You might want to give it a try. Challenge yourself to get better, don't compare yourself to others.

Thank you for the kind words and advice.

Before I found this website, I fancied myself as a decent builder.

After spending some time here, I quickly realized that I am a mere hack.

My wife suggested that I post my latest completed model here, which I consider is my best work ever. I wouldn't post that model here for love nor money, in fear that I would be laughed off the page forever, and possibly banned by you and the owner of the site.

Nonetheless, I am learning more and more every time I log in here. The tips, tricks and tutorials, like the one you posted on this thread, are expanding my skill set to levels that I never thought possible.