#1 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Full Name:jesse corbett

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Getting ready to start a super detailed 1/16 KW W900 and want to do it up right in the US version gold nugget scheme.  I have found some pix searching Hanks and others but nothing good enough to go by and they all seem different depending on year, sleeper style, etc.  It seems there was some special interior work and a  "gold digger" door decals if my amnesia has not gone into dimensia.  Any help would be appreciated.  Hanks has this so maybe it will jiggle something loose in your memory bank.  Details are sketchy and speculative at best in researching them on the net.

Thanks. 

#2 monkeyclaw

monkeyclaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Full Name:matthew Burnett

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

The only "Gold Nugget" that comes to mind is the Aussie S.A.R. Gold Nugget....If that's what you are doing; Tony Bryan is The best guy to talk to ....He is on This forum.........Matt

#3 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

There were about 1500 gold nuggets built in the USA in 1981. To the best of my memory the w900s were all like your picture short hood single bunks. There are some good pics on the web site Just old trucks.com under Peter Js place on a thread called Kenworth Wednesdays. The interior is unique to the Gold nugget edition much like the Bicentenial vit 200s had a special interior. The 1/16 scale w900 is a close match year wise for a gold nugget.

#4 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:09 AM

Thanks.  I have found some "day cab" versions as well but dont know if they were built that way or just converted.  If anyone runs across good photos (especially interior and sleeper and the decals on the drivers door, I would greatly appreciate.

#5 Tony Bryan

Tony Bryan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Jesse

I have a few Gold Nugget pics, of the Australian version, including interior and sleeper, there were 2 versions made in Australia, the W900 and the SAR

06022010027.jpg

DSC06550_zpsc08b60ba.jpg

Australia only had the short hood, if you plan to do a 1/16th version you need to remove 10mm from the hood, and convert the bunk to 36inch

They also never had the 3408 as an engine option, in Australia 

If you need info on the Australian version I can help you out, I have a few  Australian Gold Nugget  pics, 

file-121.jpg

#6 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

• I greatly appreciate it and think the Aussie versions are very sharp bordering on eye candy, I am trying for the US version.

I will try to find a close up on the US version as the decal on the hood on the Aussie version may be the same as on the door of the US version. 

Thanks again.

#7 Bowtienutz

Bowtienutz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Full Name:Vinnie
    I'm trying to be good
    0 warning points whatever that means.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

Sorry Jesse I can't helps it looks like an interesting project I never new a special edition truck exist. To Tony the Aussie rig looks super I especially like the one in the bottom photo. From the stack of photos you must be glad the digital photo age arrived. Processing all that film wasn't cheap.

#8 Tony Bryan

Tony Bryan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

yes the digital age is great, I have over 30,000 truck pics, easy to store on a hard drive, the pics above where taken digital but had them printed so they can be put into albums, which is easier than looking for a pic, as I have been building a SAR version of the Gold Nugget (top pic) 5 years and 1200 hrs, and it isn't on wheels yet

I may have the chassis bolted together early next year

#9 Tony Bryan

Tony Bryan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

06022010029.jpg

is this the same nugget man as the US version?

#10 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Looks like it. Any chance of getting it in a squared up jpg?    .

The US versions were all brown, black and gold and were only made a couple of years from what I can find.  There were both cabovers and conventionals. 

I just found this on a guy supposedly planning on restoring one here in the states.  I hope he does so.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lD-E6nXWYOI

#11 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

FYI - moving this discussion over to the "workbench" section as it starts to come together.  Got some neat posts/pix over there on US versions by others if anyone is interested in following.

#12 Old Albion

Old Albion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

This any help?

http://www.ebay.com/...mmercial_Trucks

#13 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

WOW!  Thank you so much!  Wish I had the $ to buy the real thing.