#21 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,008 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

It fits. The hoods are interchangeable, too. I have previously built a 79 F-150 from a 77 F-350 kit and a phantom 77 Bronco. :D

Good to know. Doesn't the Bronco hood have the "Ford" lettering engraved onto the forward edge, too?

#22 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,989 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

MVC004F-vi.jpg

In this photo you can see just how low that windshield top really is.

At the risk of being "that guy," wow, that's really bad, and not in an easy location to correct.  -_-

#23 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

At the risk of being "that guy," wow, that's really bad, and not in an easy location to correct.  -_-

It's not really too difficult. Well, cutting the windshield opening up higher, anyway. Scribing a new window molding line on the other hand... that I've had some trouble with.

#24 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

Good to know. Doesn't the Bronco hood have the "Ford" lettering engraved onto the forward edge, too?

I can't remember if it does or not... I'll check tonight when I'm home. :)

#25 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:14 AM

Here's an overview of these kits compiled by the boys at sae a few years ago...

frdtrkmodhist1.jpg

mike

#26 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

I have that issue- I think that article was a complementary piece to the three-way '97 F-150 comparo by Chuck Kourouklis. Man... three full-detail kits of a brand new pickup kit in one year- betcha that'll never happen again.

#27 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Finally remembered to check my Bronco kits: the hoods do indeed have the FORD lettering.

#28 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Finally remembered to check my Bronco kits: the hoods do indeed have the FORD lettering.

Nice! Thanks.

#29 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Full Name:Jake Bridges

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

Well with amt reissuing this

product.jpg

I think they want to try and compete with this

TOY-SCL2-20011.jpg

We all Know that the moebius will be miles ahead in detail. Im thinking i may have to get one of each, one would be to build a replica of this (my great grandpa's truck) its a 78 F250 2x4 ohio truck all its life no rotting just a little surface rust.545167_450619261634675_298308084_n.jpg

And the other to have for awesomeness. What are your thoughs? think amt is hoping to compete with moebius?

Edited by Platerpants, 09 November 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#30 gui_tarzan

gui_tarzan

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

I hope they fix the windshield & roof error. 

#31 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Don't look to have anything changed Jim. Re issues are just that, re issues , flaws and all ! Shoot , I'll get one just to do a step side out of one .

#32 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Here are some of the chrome shot variations in this series...

First pic is from the red '75 'new Ford truck' issue. It contains the optional Thrush sidepipes, five slot 16" mags, chrome air cleaner, basic door mirrors and stock hubcaps. 

75amtfrd1_zps25777930.jpg

Here's a partial tree from the '75 Star Truk (first in series) which was the most heavily optioned of all, including the sidepipes, box rails, bumper guards, western mirrors and slot mags. The Mod Ford race team combo kit (75 F350, trailer and 40 Ford modifed) had it as well but all the other regular '75 and '76 trucks had the stripped down style tree shown above. 

P5103823_zpsc745c418.jpg

The blue '77 annual edition featured a shortened chrome shot with only stock wheel covers included. The '77 Boonie Boss and it's Lesney/Matchbox reissue Ranger clone featured the same style shortened tree with the newly modifed front bumper and restyled wheels. The '78 Stones truck tree was similar, with the updated grill as shown above.

77 annual

77f350amta_zpsacf317e6.jpg

Boonie Boss/Ranger

c99c16be-2913-4c37-ab23-1864e52bcb79_zps

Here's the Tuff Truk chrome shot with unrealistic 4 slot mags. The custom grill was not chromed in this kit, just the stacked headlights.

77tfftrk_zpse13088c9.jpg

P5243868_zps2778de82.jpg

The front bumper supplied in the regular 75-77 truck kits is a pretty good replica of the '64 - '77 item. The boonie boss issue was bulked up and had slots cut in the top for the supplied driving lights along with holes in front for the push bar. It was included in the stones 4x4 kit (without the driving lights) as well as the reissued boonie boss(ranger) by lesney in about '81.  Neither is accurate for the '78/'79 truck, though, as the upper lip was flatter and wider. The accurate factory rear chrome sport bumper was carried through all the incarnations of this kit. A resin caster might want to pick up on those vertical bumper guards included with the Star Truk, as they would be accurate for the '67 - '72 trucks as well, unless Moebius chooses to include them in their kits.

As far as that goes, since all these issues contain about 80-90% similar parts and the best one is due to be reissued soon, maybe the resin casters could look at supplying the '75 and '76/'77 grills too... 

mike

Edited by mk11, 07 March 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#33 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hey Mike, glad you posted those pix. I have one 8 lug 5 slot mag wheel in my parts stash that I got in a parts box trade, never knew what kit it originally came from. now that I've seen the trees for the AMT F350s, I see where it was from.

Edited by Longbox55, 10 November 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#34 01blueedge

01blueedge

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Crolley

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

i am glad they are finally putting this kit back out i will have to pick up a few more

#35 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

I hope they fix the windshield & roof error. 

I'd personally be more concerned with a correct for '78 wheelbase and box. But I will buy a couple  

#36 redneckrodder

redneckrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Full Name:james gilpin

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:22 AM

Man il have to get a few then find a 73 grill to build my dads 1:1 that we're trying to restore slowly

#37 Tankerdog

Tankerdog

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:Kent Hopper

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Some 78-79 minutia.  If I recall, from rebuilding mine, the Stones truck would have to be a late 78, not sure of the month, or it could be a 79.  Early 78 PU & Broncos had round headlights.

I agree with the 73 grille, and rest through 77 for that matter.  Yeah, yeah, yeah keep dreamin'.  Really happy to hear a 71 is on the way.  Of the 3 pre-cove, insert grille trucks, the 71 looks the best to me.  That kit could easily be made into a 70, or 72.  If you throw BMF on the 71 don't forget the grille inserts, the center crossbars were a snapped on chrome piece on the 1:1 trucks.

Can you tell?  I love these trucks...

#38 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Me too  :P   Good point on the '71 grill.

The headlamp difference in '78 wasn't actually a matter of build date but of trim level. The Custom trim level had the round lights and the Rangers had the square ones. Chev and Dodge had similar styling cues in '79/'80.

mike

#39 Tankerdog

Tankerdog

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:Kent Hopper

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

That makes sense, volumes could be filled with factory stock arrangements.  Now if we can get a PE fret of all those badges.  My 70 was a Ranger which had the wide chrome strip, which it appears on the 71 box art.  A friend of mine had a 71 which had the narrow chrome strip, and for the life of me I don't remember the badging. 

I was doing alright working on a gasser, now I can't stop thinking about Ford pickups:)

#40 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:16 AM

Me too  :P   Good point on the '71 grill.

The headlamp difference in '78 wasn't actually a matter of build date but of trim level. The Custom trim level had the round lights and the Rangers had the square ones. Chev and Dodge had similar styling cues in '79/'80.

mike

Yep, you'd find the round eyes on box trucks and flatbeds, too, though I've seen a few '78 Customs with square eyes. Could have been added by a subsequent owner, though. The Rangers and '79 style always seemed more common to find, so if a guy cracked up the front end of his Custom and went to the salvage yard for replacement stuff, he'd have likely just used a '78 Ranger or '79 setup.