#41 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

Yep, you'd find the round eyes on box trucks and flatbeds, too, though I've seen a few '78 Customs with square eyes. Could have been added by a subsequent owner, though. The Rangers and '79 style always seemed more common to find, so if a guy cracked up the front end of his Custom and went to the salvage yard for replacement stuff, he'd have likely just used a '78 Ranger or '79 setup.

_57-vi.jpg

c3_3-vi.jpg

Doesn't look all that difficult to change out to the round headlight.  I also want to shorten a chassis and do a step side. You can start with the one in the AMT '53 Ford kit,  the bed only changed slightly over the years.

#42 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

P4193775_zpsaaedeab5.jpg

These parts actually represent the F100 or F150 regular cab 4x4 frontend setup and will need replacing with leaf springs to accurately model the heavier duty trucks.

Look again and you'll see that there are two sets of leaf springs. One set below the rear end housing assembly and one set above the front end housing assembly.  ;)

#43 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

The high arch springs are for the rear of the 4x4 and the shallow springs are the regular rear 2wd items. A guy probably could adapt them to the front for a heavier series truck. 

mike

#44 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

I have been wanting -- no , needing -- one of the original 70's issues of the coveted AMT F-350 Annual kits , for in excess of twenty years (!)

Back in the mid-late 1980's , there were gads of the original Big Foot kits around , and usually at blow-them-out prices ( typically , 99c - $1.50 !) .

I bought them only because the two-wheel-drive suspension parts were included ( I had / have no interested in the four-wheel-drive versions ) .

My first experience with one of the original 'annual' issues was the Star Truk [sic] from ca.1976 .

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity for the RTD Bus with my mother and some family friends , the 6V71 Detroit-powered death trap pulled-up the stop at the curb in front of the Whittier Police Department . Thirty-five cents was pulled from my Levi's Cords and carefully dropped-into the bus fare jar . The bus' driver revved-up the noisy Detroit ; its GMC oxidiser spooling-up as plumes of spent fuel went billowing from the bus' 4" exhaust .

We were off !

At the toy store in the Puente Hills Mall had a display of AMT's latest offerings . Among their offerings was the Star Truk ; I had to have it !

$3.25 later , it was all mine !

Given that I was 6 years old , my skills were , shall we say , *mediocre* , and the kit disappeared to the annals of time .

So , here I am , once again , craving another one of these ...

#45 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

I've managed to acquire a '73, a '77 with the camper top and an original Bigfoot. I had the '79 F350 4X4. But, I traded it for a '60 F100. Oddly, the '73 has hollow vinyl tires while the '77 has two piece hard plastic tires. The '77 only has the parts for a stock version while the '73 has the optional five slot wheels,side pipes and a chrome breather. I plan on making both the '73 and '77 regular long wheel base trucks.

#46 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Here's the one I've been massaging a cab, grill and box for...

P5243858_zpsd9b75f37.jpg?

from the '78 Free Wheeling brochure

mike

some flareside info...

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=81012

Edited by mk11, 27 November 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#47 cam

cam

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Munsey

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

_57-vi.jpg

c3_3-vi.jpg

Doesn't look all that difficult to change out to the round headlight.  I also want to shorten a chassis and do a step side. You can start with the one in the AMT '53 Ford kit,  the bed only changed slightly over the years.

notice the '78 bumper it is the same as a '77

#48 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Could be a '77 with a '78 grill; easy swap

mike

Edited by mk11, 26 November 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#49 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Could be a '77 with a '78 grill; easy swap

mike

More than likely, that's the case. '77 and earlier front bumpers won't fit the '78 and '79 chassis. The top bolts won't line up. I had a '78 F-100 with a '73-'77 front bumper. The top bolt holes weren't even close.

#50 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Here's a pic of the parts included only in the '77 Boonie Boss/Matchbox Ranger 2wd editions from this series....

P6093871_zpsa476dfe3.jpg

The blue sprue is from the Matchbox reissue (F350 Ranger) of the Boonie Boss. As mentioned above, the BB and it's reissue also included a modified front bumper with provisions for mounting the push bar and driving lights. No 4wd parts were included in these.

The following are pics of the main unique parts in the Tuff Truk issue. It also had a full width louvered rear window plate and rear dual wheel spacers. 

77tufftruk_zps66ecb9e6.jpg

tufftrkfnd_zps790f9e35.jpg

...and a pic of the factory style topper found only in the blue '77 F350 kit

77f350amta_zpsfe9772a6.jpg

mike

Edited by mk11, 24 December 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#51 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

Not sure if this is the right spot, forgive me if so.

Looking for info about this kit. Is this a 4x4 or 2 wheel drive. It appears to have 4- off road tires!

Thanks

.$(KGrHqJHJFUFF-hVSrFoBRnoGi1Rfw~~60_35.J

#52 01blueedge

01blueedge

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Crolley

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

i think that one was 2wd but I am not 100% sure on that. I think the only 4wd version was the firestone release which round2 is about to rerelease in Jan

#53 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

It has both 4WD and 2WD parts but is meant to be a 2WD and doesn't mention the 4WD parts in the instructions. Don't feel like digging mine out right now.

Nick

#54 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

I actually prefer the 2WD version myself....cool kit.

#55 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

The Stones truck is the first and only issue with the 4wd parts. The BB, and the matchbox Ranger(same kit), has the same wheels and tires as the Stones truck but has it's own unique rollbar, driving lights and special exhaust.

Here's a pic of the BB/Ranger parts layout...

P6213886_zps575a6c6b.jpg

mike

Edited by mk11, 24 December 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#56 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for the help and link, lots of info there.

This is a loaded question, but.             On average, what would a nice kit like this sell for?    

#57 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:05 AM

Depends on whether it is factory sealed or open/open inside. But I would say you're looking at $50 at least.

#58 01blueedge

01blueedge

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Crolley

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for the help and link, lots of info there.
This is a loaded question, but.             On average, what would a nice kit like this sell for?    

I would just wait another month until the rerelease comes out I will be whole lot cheaper than getting an original

#59 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

Just noticed the Round 2 website has a new description of this one...

AMT reintroduces the Firestone "Super Stones" 1978 Ford 4x4 Pickup. Tooling modifications have been made to backdate the kit and improve accuracy. Improvements include the re-engraving of door key holes, front fender reflectors and retooling of the correct front bumper.

#60 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Just noticed the Round 2 website has a new description of this one...

AMT reintroduces the Firestone "Super Stones" 1978 Ford 4x4 Pickup. Tooling modifications have been made to backdate the kit and improve accuracy. Improvements include the re-engraving of door key holes, front fender reflectors and retooling of the correct front bumper.

I guess it's too much to hope they'll change it over to a regular long wheel base? Maybe we should flood them with emails and see what happens?