#22 edward smith

edward smith

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Full Name:Edward

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

Great info man, the models posted definitely show that the system works. Why isn't this pinned? :blink:

#23 Buffs Fan

Buffs Fan

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Barela

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:01 AM

Stupid question but when you put down the primer and paint does it not cover up the wash? :huh:  

#24 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

Stupid question but when you put down the primer and paint does it not cover up the wash? :huh:  

You need to put the wash over the primer, then paint over both. The wash should tint the paint to a darker tone of the same color and give the gap some depth like you would see with a 1/1 car that has the jabs painted the same color as the outside of the car.

#25 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

If they're scribed deep enough, a wash isn't necessary. I never wash panel lines.

#26 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:20 AM

Guys, all the washing and scribing I do is first accomplished on the BARE plastic, I do not wash the lines after adding primer. I scribe them very deep and after that I do not have to touch them anymore. Not after primer, basecoats or even clear, it's as simple as that. That is exactly the idea behind scribing them deeply. Neither the primer, paint and clear touches the scribed/washed lines and that goes with any paint. No matter how dark the wash is, if you look at the pictures of the completed model you will notice that they don't end up as dark as the lines on the bare plastic. That's the magic of this system. You can use dark purple if you want and you won't even need to worry about that.

Now, let's say you want to give them a wash after painting. No problem, again, the lines are so deeply scribed that the actual wash will still look realistic and realistic is what we are going for here.

Attached Files

#27 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

Another example....

Attached Files

#28 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

This is a model painted with Tamiya White which will more clearly show the washed lines. Notice the different angles, just like a real car, the lines slightly disappear as you move the car around. Now, take some time and go outside and walk around your 1/1 car. Nothing different. That's what I like about this system.....

Attached Files

#29 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Here's another thread on panel lines.  http://www.modelcars...showtopic=69807

#30 meaneyme

meaneyme

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

Sorry but you can put all the links you want and the pictures in this thread don't lie, no need to look anywhere else. Thanks for the tutorial Cruz.